River in flood?

petevicar

I live very close to one of the biggest rivers in Europe.
It is currently still rising.

IMG_1039.jpg

Vermontdrifter

Villages along the Moselle in Luxembourg are flooding but it happens every other year so they are pretty use to it. Clean out a river and straighten it’s banks so that the flooding happens a few miles down stream seems to be the norm in France these days so Luxembourg gets clobbered.

petevicar

I live about 100 metres from the water in this photo.

IMG_1037.jpg

It would need to rise at least another 10 m to get to my place.That would be very unusual.

I took the first photo from a flood wall that protects the main part of the village. The river would have to rise by about another 2 metres to get to the top.

raphael

More rain on the way across western Europe, especially in France. Many overflowing rivers in the west... Upstream Loire is very high but still far from being a worry, Charente, Garonne spreading in towns... And some fools still claiming for more containment works, drainage, dams.. instead of replanting hedges, restoring marshes, etc... Yes it's been raining a lot but when you're offending nature, you get your reward. Rhine and other rivers a swell were supposed to expand in flood plains and wetted forests where water would be naturally filtered and stored for summer times, but we put the rivers in between concrete walls, and here they are now, while they've been so low last summer.

R

Paul_B

Our river has burst its banks locally and we have a few houses under an EA warning, fortunately the the flood plains higher up and lower down have been saved by the flood banks they built. :unsure: