River level site beta - NO LIKE

pedros

What are your opinions on the beta of the river levels site that has replaced the EA version?
Personally I really do not like this version. The 'Text only' version of the EA site was much more functional enabling me to bookmark a catchment area so I could quickly view a monitoring station. Not found this functionality on the new site so constant zooming and panning of the map is a pain in the proverbial...
Natural Resources Wales / River levels online

empty creel

Ive been using it daily since the change over.

As an angler I liked the old version, but I find this new layout more user friendly.
I expect its been designed for those people who live in areas susceptible to flooding and want to make regular checkups in times of heavy rain.

If you tap/click the last reading (far right) it gives the exact level in real time which I find very useful.

The gauging stations are (said) to be accurate, when I next see the EA guy I will ask him just how accurate they really are.

mot

Not entirely convinced by the new site either but one advantage over the old one is that you get data going back further than a few days

sewinbasher

Daily twitter updates on your favorites too...where have you been :thumbs:
Also extensive retrospective data and as near real time info as you can get. I've got the key gauges on my local rivers set up in favourites and can quickly scroll through without messing around.

swiss

It's not bad once you get used to it, managed to bookmark my area and go to where I want quicker than the last one, no fannying about with catchment areas like before.

fredaevans

I use Shoothill Gaugemap.... much better!

Shoothill GaugeMap

Even from 6,000 miles away this is a cool site to bookmark and review. Actually fun to look up places you folks fish and get a 'feel for the place.' Better yet is a significant amount of what you post up gets transfered to Steelhead and Salmon fishing ... right down to the flies. The fish don't know.

Similar to what we have with 'USGS' in the United States, here's Oregon: http://waterdata.usgs.gov/or/nwis/rt Just click on the dot, the info will be up to 30 minutes old so you're looking at real time conditions. Info has saved me from more than a few wasted trips.

fae

Last edited:

pedros

Granted the natural resources site is still in beta, but it has a long way to go IMO. Shoothill's guagemap which SB has thankfully shared is far superior. As suggested before, I am generally interested in a catchment area so quick and easy to find takes precedent, not constantly dragging a map around, zooming, then finding again the window/tab you have just opened just doesn't fit...
BTW, I speak without impertinence as I work in this sector...Shoothill have an EA API so further possibilities...

Carlos

Don't know whether this will help us but the EA is in the market for a new flood forecasting system. They currently use a Dutch system.

But I think this is just a new number crunching and presentation system not a new set of measurements, algorithms and data feeds.

BRUCE1

The Northern Shire of York....within the Kingdom o
Use this ...:thumbs::thumbs:

https://www.riverlevels.uk/levels#.VuMePdDwHhl

---------- Post added at 07:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:37 PM ----------

Don't know whether this will help us but the EA is in the market for a new flood forecasting system. They currently use a Dutch system.

But I think this is just a new number crunching and presentation system not a new set of measurements, algorithms and data feeds.

Yeah thats fine, but every now and then some tw4t pulls his thumb out of the dykes :thumbs::D:D:D

Carlos

Excellent. 0.24m and falling optimum height will hit an gin clear waters will prevail with little rain. However April 1st is a little way to go.

Latest posts