River Lugg

andygrey

If it turns up in a crown court then supplying a jury with any ideas about what might or might not have happened when you are not a witness will get you in big bother
All the 'information' that has turned up on here is well and truly in the public domain and has be gleaned from publicly available reporting.
The undisputed facts are:-

• A stretch of approx 1 mile of the River Lugg has been 'modified'
  • Mr. Price did it...
  • ...Mr. Price has admitted to doing it
  • The EA, NE et al claim that these works were 'unconsented'
  • Mr. Price recently had a planning application refused
  • Mr. Price has bad taste in shirts...
These are all material facts and prior knowledge of these aren't likely to affect the result of any prosecution.

bonefishblues

All the 'information' that has turned up on here is well and truly in the public domain and has be gleaned from publicly available reporting.
The undisputed facts are:-

• A stretch of approx 1 mile of the River Lugg has been 'modified'
  • Mr. Price did it...
  • ...Mr. Price has admitted to doing it
  • The EA, NE et al claim that these works were 'unconsented'
  • Mr. Price recently had a planning application refused
  • Mr. Price has bad taste in shirts...
These are all material facts and prior knowledge of these aren't likely to affect the result of any prosecution.
Members of the Jury, the fact is that the Accused was wearing an offensive shirt. The Prosecution rests its case.:ROFLMAO:

andygrey

Have you been on a jury
If this goes to court then yes, anyone on the jury posting anything relevant to the case on social media would be in big trouble.
Conjecture on a Fly Fishing forum could potentially fall foul under libel law, but according to a solicitor friend fo mine, the very few cases actually make it to court due to the complexity, cost and small chances of success.
So basically, I don't think anyone here is going to get a knock on the door anytime soon.

shropshire_lad

Have you been on a jury
C'mon GM.

Firstly, we live in an age of social media where this incident has and will be widely discussed and I imagine what has been discussed on here is quite tame compared to Facebook, etc.

Farmer Palmer has hardly been conciliatory or constructive in his reported language and statements, which according to a post above he now seems to be distancing himself from.

Let's quote again from a lawyer from the Salmon & Trout Conservation as reported in The Guardian, 4th December:

This is one of the most egregious acts of ecological vandalism that I have seen in 25 years of working on rivers in the UK,” he said. “I have been on site and I am shaking with anger at what has been done to my local river.

There can be no excuse if the perpetrator is not now prosecuted to the fullest extent possible. His financial assets should also be taken to pay to restore the river, a restoration that will take decades.

People are allowed to form opinions and discuss them openly. Hopefully, that leads to more knowledge, more empowerment and better practice moving forward.

If the EA and other regulatory authorities have made mistakes those should also come out and they have taken some bashing on this thread.

Some of us on here are passionate about the environment and seeing it protected - no wonder strong opinions have been expressed.

....and, yes, I have served on a jury and I don't think joking about shirts is libellous?

Last edited:

bonefishblues

If this goes to court then yes, anyone on the jury posting anything relevant to the case on social media would be in big trouble.
Conjecture on a Fly Fishing forum could potentially fall foul under libel law, but according to a solicitor friend fo mine, the very few cases actually make it to court due to the complexity, cost and small chances of success.
So basically, I don't think anyone here is going to get a knock on the door anytime soon.
Useful primer on relatively recent changes, which make this (even more) unlikely:

boisker

Round me no field stops bare long,perhaps they are waiting to plant something else or leaving the fields fallow. There are numerous city folk on here who know sod all about farming and agriculture
Noticed this on West Country Rivers Thread.... might help improve your understanding of modern agriculture and the problems with soils across many farms in the UK... especially the SW..