River Lugg

glueman

Noticed this on West Country Rivers Thread.... might help improve your understanding of modern agriculture and the problems with soils across many farms in the UK... especially the SW..
I was married o a farmer so know a bit about the industry.
Where I live the sequence is
Combine wheat
Bale straw if not chopped
Cut hedge
In with sub soiler and discs
Drill rape

Where is the bare soil

boisker

Combine wheat
Cut hedge
Drill rape

Where is the bare soil

so your experience purely relates to your own little patch....
i suggest you still watch the vid as it gives a broader understanding than that of the little enclave of perfect farming that you obviously live in, with crystal clear rivers that have no issues with sediment or phosphates from farming.... you’re damned lucky as there is hardly a river not effected in the country

Last edited by a moderator:

glueman

yes we already know you were a farmers beeeeatch....
so your experience purely relates to your own little patch....
i suggest you still watch the vid as it gives a broader understanding than that of the little enclave of perfect farming that you obviously live in, with crystal clear rivers that have no issues with sediment or phosphates from farming.... you’re damned lucky as there is hardly a river not effected in the country
The farmers around me average size 10,000 acres are arable as for your obscene remark you better withdraw it

rusty

Flood alert downstream of Kingsland towards Leominster tonight (26/12/2020).

I would be interested in any observations on whether there is any improvement in flood prevention or otherwise.

Rusty

anith

Combine wheat
Cut hedge
Drill rape

Where is the bare soil
Around here mixed farming, maize stubble is rarely tilled till late spring,there are acres of it.

PaulD

Flood alert downstream of Kingsland towards Leominster tonight (26/12/2020).

I would be interested in any observations on whether there is any improvement in flood prevention or otherwise.

Rusty

What will have happened will have been a more rapid and worsening effect of flooding downstream of where 'the works' took place.

blithfield2

After serious flooding in the immediate area, (there are 14 flood warnings still in place affecting areas in and near Herefordshire). The following is a 'locals' tweet regarding the present conditions at Kingsland:

"No sign of any flooding in Kingsland this time. Maybe the farmer boy that cleaned up the river wasn't such a bad chap after all?"

Last edited:

andygrey

After serious flooding in the immediate area, (there are 14 flood warnings still in place affecting areas in and near Herefordshire). This following is a 'locals' tweet regarding the present conditions at Kingsland:

"No sign of any flooding in Kingsland this time. Maybe the farmer boy that cleaned up the river wasn't such a bad chap after all?"
I wonder if those downstream are as happy?

Reg Wyatt

But those downstream would still have been flooded, with or without the upstream works.
How on earth would you know that? The only thing that would have been different is the speed of flooding. Instead of a steady rise in water and a bit of time to prepare they may well have been flooded in thirty minutes. If you want to pull the plug out you'd better be pretty sure everyone else is aware of what's coming their way. Stupidity beyond belief.

Reg Wyatt

aenoon

Linlithgow, Scotland and anywhere i can wet a line
How on earth would you know that? The only thing that would have been different is the speed of flooding. Instead of a steady rise in water and a bit of time to prepare they may well have been flooded in thirty minutes. If you want to pull the plug out you'd better be pretty sure everyone else is aware of what's coming their way. Stupidity beyond belief.

Reg Wyatt
What? The fact that those downstream still got flooded, or the fact that those in the area of the works did not?
Does not matter to those that were flooded if it took 10 hours or it took 2 hours, the end result is still the same.
Bet those downstream wished they had flood prevention embankments too.

andygrey

What? The fact that those downstream still got flooded, or the fact that those in the area of the works did not?
Does not matter to those that were flooded if it took 10 hours or it took 2 hours, the end result is still the same.
Maybe consider this statement a bit more...
If you follow this to its natural conclusion and continue to chase the problem downstream, we would end up with increasingly widened and depend rivers.
Last time I looked this was a fishing forum, this approach is somewhat at odds to our goals and objectives!

Reg Wyatt

How long it takes for flood water to reach areas is absolutely the critical difference and the result is far from the same. It is not about moving flood water as quickly as possible but rather as safely as possible in as controlled a way as possible. I don't know this area at all but the difference of a deluge of water arriving, as you suggest, between 10 hours or 2 hours could be life and death.

Reg Wyatt

Last edited:

Laxdale

I think I read somewhere that the left hand third of the bridge was blocked. If so, it is no wonder the land on the right bank was getting flooded.
The blockage would also have narrowed the channel upstream.
Clearing the blockage and restoring the channel to its natural width is fine, I would think? Of course, to do the job properly the bridge itself would need to be removed and a clear span put in place. That would please the eco warriors, yes?

andygrey