River Lugg

andygrey

Indeed. So we should all approve of the effort to restore the river flow and width of river channel to what it was before the bridge was put in place.
Or just simply clearing one of the 3 blocked arches, which was what the scope of the original work was meant to be... not ripping out 1 mile of river upstream.

blithfield2

Farmer Price for a mention in the New Years's honours - for saving life and property. All the while the EA and (you know who you are) sat there thinking and thinking, occasionally wringing of hands but basically doing sweet FA!

bonefishblues

What? The fact that those downstream still got flooded, or the fact that those in the area of the works did not?
Does not matter to those that were flooded if it took 10 hours or it took 2 hours, the end result is still the same.
Bet those downstream wished they had flood prevention embankments too.
Were you working for the predecessor of the EA in about 1970 by any chance?

I ask as that was the then-prevailing view of river management, I believe ;)

andygrey

Farmer Price for a mention in the New Years's honours - for saving life and property. All the while the EA and (you know who you are) sat there thinking and thinking, occasionally wringing of hands but basically doing sweet FA!
It's difficult to know where to start with this level of stupidity, ignorance and antagonism... At least without getting a ban of course.

blithfield2

It's difficult to know where to start with this level of stupidity, ignorance and antagonism... At least without getting a ban of course.

Carry on, last time I looked we still had freedom of speech, (as exercised by me).:whistle:

My complaint is against the EA, they appear to take the easy option and do nothing.

andygrey

Carry on, last time I looked we still had freedom of speech, (as exercised by me).:whistle:

My complaint is against the EA, they appear to take the easy option and do nothing.
So it's OK for anyone with a JBC and no real knowledge of flood prevention to go ahead and destroy a section of protected river and countryside? Somehow I didn't have you down as an anarchist...
Had Mr. Price consulted with the EA (and the various other bodies that are custodians of that particular stretch of river) I don't doubt that they would have been more than happy to advise him on what he could and could not do.
As it was there was a discussion about clearing a bridge arch, but not any of the other unauthorised works. Unfortunately Mr. Price decided that he knew best and cracked on.
Are you endorsing his actions?

bonefishblues

So it's OK for anyone with a JBC and no real knowledge of flood prevention to go ahead and destroy a section of protected river and countryside? Somehow I didn't have you down as an anarchist...
Had Mr. Price consulted with the EA (and the various other bodies that are custodians of that particular stretch of river) I don't doubt that they would have been more than happy to advise him on what he could and could not do.
As it was there was a discussion about clearing a bridge arch, but not any of the other unauthorised works. Unfortunately Mr. Price decided that he knew best and cracked on.
You have quite a lot of flooding in and around the Witney area don't you Andy?

Here you go - flood alleviation on a low loader:

Any colour preference?

I make light to make a serious point, of course. On here, of all places I had expected our fellow members to be more insightful :(

blithfield2

errr Yes! Lives and property come before a riverbank and awaiting action by the EA

Nothing to do with insightful, the EA had I think, 10 years to be insightful - wasn't that long enough or would you have given them some more time?

bonefishblues

errr Yes! Lives and property come before a riverbank and awaiting action by the EA

Nothing to do with insightful, the EA had I think, 10 years to be insightful - wasn't that long enough or would you have given them some more time?
It is a matter of public record that the EA and the Parish Council were in active discussions about the work when the deed was done.

I'm not aware there's a Statute of Limitations which empowers individuals to do what the farmer did. Are you?

andygrey

So presumably you would care to furnish us with the past 10 years of flooding history on the site in question, obviously including how many have perished...
No? Didn't think so.
You are setting up a false opposition, the EA may have been negligent (or more likely not had the funds and/or not considered the area a priority). They are however very happy for people to carry out work as long as it has been properly planned and approved. You farmer mate could have spoken to the EA and offered his services but for reasons only know to himself he decided to take matters into his own hands - obviously knowing best - and destroyed about a mile of river and bank.
I am not defending the EA, they have their own issues, chronic underfunding being the main one but what Farmer Giles did is completely indefensible and quite probably illegal.
And lastly, sorry to have to be the one to break this to you, but this is a fishing forum which you seem to have stumbled into, I can only assume by accident.

Reg Wyatt

errr Yes! Lives and property come before a riverbank
Exactly right blithfield2. Lives and people's safety do come first and that's the problem with what this man has done. Unleashing possible torrents of floodwater to whoever and whatever downstream is irresponsible at best, criminally negligent at worse. The vandalism that he's caused to a beautiful stream is secondary to the possible consequences of his stupidity.

Reg Wyatt

Mr Notherone

I find it surprising that fellow anglers, who presumably have some interest in the conservation of our river ecosystems, habitat and fish stocks, support the actions of this farmer. Even if the EA were negligent, slow or simply prioritised their resources somewhere else, the answer can't be a clueless farmer who "thinks" he knows what he's doing destroying a mile of river habitat. There is no evidence that what he did benefited anybody - probably quite the opposite.

Imagine what our rivers would be like if every farmer decided to bulldoze a mile of water. I suppose we should let every half-wit with a JCB play at being an 'expert'....unbelievable.

andygrey

Yep, only thing being, farmers with rivers running through their land tend to know the hows, whys and wherefores, of how the river floods their land, and indeed how to divert the flooding.
Bert
... possibly, but for their own benefit and **** everyone else downstream.
One things for sure, Mr. Price certainly wouldn't like to live downstream from himself.

aenoon

Linlithgow, Scotland and anywhere i can wet a line
... possibly, but for their own benefit and **** everyone else downstream.
One things for sure, Mr. Price certainly wouldn't like to live downstream from himself.
Is standard practice for farmers to divert flooding water/overspill to downstream areas of the catchment, it then becomes the next mans down problem to deal with it, and so on and so forth. Has been for centuries.
Over the decades there has been less and less maintenance, or indeed flood management, of waterways of all types, from roadside drains to full bore large rivers. EA had their chance in this instance, and blew it. Farmer loses patience, and does what he would have done 20 years ago, when no one would have cared!
Now we have hundreds of Eco Warriors aka keyboard kings whom think they know best.
There is no right or wrong here, but he has stopped the houses in his area flooding.
Bet those house owners are happy, even if the outcry from those outwith the area makes them keep their heads below the firing line!
Bert

Last edited:

Mr Notherone

Yep, only thing being, farmers with rivers running through their land tend to know the hows, whys and wherefores, of how the river floods their land, and indeed how to divert the flooding.
Bert
That will be the same farmers who understand how slurry and phosphates find a way into the water.

I think most farmers would admit to knowing sod all about river ecology, habitat maintenance or how best to preserve invertebrates........ because most don't give a ****!

aenoon

Linlithgow, Scotland and anywhere i can wet a line
How long it takes for flood water to reach areas is absolutely the critical difference and the result is far from the same. It is not about moving flood water as quickly as possible but rather as safely as possible in as controlled a way as possible. I don't know this area at all but the difference of a deluge of water arriving, as you suggest, between 10 hours or 2 hours could be life and death.

Reg Wyatt
So you know you are going to be flooded out in 10 hours, or you know its going to be in two hours.
You going to be able to prevent the flood in either of those time spans, like moving your house out of the way?
If is massive flooding then the actual peak flood point is only a time figure, the effect remains the same.
Bert