River Lugg

glueman

That will be the same farmers who understand how slurry and phosphates find a way into the water.

I think most farmers would admit to knowing sod all about river ecology, habitat maintenance or how best to preserve invertebrates........ because most don't give a ****!
You need to remember that if you fish most of the time you stand on land you do not owne, park on same and walk across it. We fish rivers by the kindness of the land owner it is no a right so perhaps land owner bashing should stop

Mr Notherone

Is standard practice for farmers to divert flooding water/overspill to downstream areas of the catchment, it then becomes the next mans down problem to deal with it, and so on and so forth. Has been for centuries.
Over the decades there has been less and less maintenance, or indeed flood management, of waterways of all types, from roadside drains to full bore large rivers. EA had their chance in this instance, and blew it. Farmer loses patience, and does what he would have done 20 years ago, when no one would have cared!
Now we have hundreds of Eco Warriors aka keyboard kings whom think they know best.
There is no right or wrong here, but he has stopped the houses in his area flooding.
Bet those house owners are happy, even if the outcry from those outwith area the makes them keep their heads below the firing line!
Bert

Nothing to do with Eco Warriors and there is a right and wrong. It's illegal for riparian owners to bulldoze rivers - they have rights and obligations.

Mr Notherone

You need to remember that if you fish most of the time you stand on land you do not owne, park on same and walk across it. We fish rivers by the kindness of the land owner it is no a right so perhaps land owner bashing should stop
Don't be daft - no one is bashing landowners, just the idiots with no regard for the law!

andygrey

Urrr.. It's generally by hard-cash and not the 'kindness' of the owner we get our river fishing. This isn't about generally land-owner bashing... just the one particular individual in this case.

aenoon

Linlithgow, Scotland and anywhere i can wet a line
Nothing to do with Eco Warriors and there is a right and wrong. It's illegal for riparian owners to bulldoze rivers - they have rights and obligations.
He bulldozed his land, which happened to be the river banking, to prevent flooding.
His right, and obligation, to the householders on, or on the boundaries of his land.
Same house owners whom could also have taken him to court to "manage" said river banks to prevent flooding of their properties.
Not such a simple situation when looked at that way, is it?
Bert

Mr Notherone

He bulldozed his land, which happened to be the river banking, to prevent flooding.
His right, and obligation, to the householders on, or on the boundaries of his land.
Same house owners whom could also have taken him to court to "manage" said river banks to prevent flooding of their properties.
Not such a simple situation when looked at that way, is it?
Bert
Sorry Bert that's nonsense. Look up riparian owners rights and obligations, they are clear. He has no legal obligation to householders, he has as a riparian owner, which is why he'll be prosectuted.

aenoon

Sorry Bert that's nonsense. Look up riparian owners rights and obligations, they are clear. He has no legal obligation to householders, he has as a riparian owner, which is why he'll be prosectuted.
Dont need to, can quote you common law relating to landowners/property owners rights.
However, a short excerpt copied from relevant guidance might be helpful at this point.

Responsibilities of property owners​

The law (common law) requires that you use your property or land in a way that does not increase the risk of flooding to a neighbouring property. If you do carry out acts on your property that results in flooding to other people’s property, you may face a civil action.

To reduce the risk of flooding to neighbouring properties, the law requires that you:
  • Maintain your flood defences (if you have any). If failure to maintain these defences leads to flooding, you could face a claim in negligence or nuisance.
If you live alongside a watercourse and want to know about your rights and duties, the Environment Agency produce a booklet which you might find helpful.

Bert

glueman

Search riparian land owner responsibility on the government web site and you will see you are responsible to stop flooding of your neighbours land and can be sued if it happens

blithfield2

So let me get this correct, some of you dreamers think that grass, trees, water voles, fishing are more important than the dangers caused by flooding?

bonefishblues

That will be the same farmers who understand how slurry and phosphates find a way into the water.

I think most farmers would admit to knowing sod all about river ecology, habitat maintenance or how best to preserve invertebrates........ because most don't give a ****!
I think that's unfair. Remember that the farmer only got less than 50% support for his actions in his own trade press.

bonefishblues

So let me get this correct, some of you dreamers think that grass, trees, water voles, fishing are more important than the dangers caused by flooding?
Have you looked at that stretch? Google Earth's quite clear if you'd like to.

I'd encourage you to, and then come back with your estimate of how many houses are susceptible to flooding adjacent to that stretch of river.

blithfield2

I'd encourage you to, and then come back with your estimate of how many houses are susceptible to flooding adjacent to that stretch of river.
Bet you are the sort to draw up a risk assessment and then try and convince us why you should go fishing - met your type before!

aenoon

Think you missed the bit in the presss about the properties adjacent to the land that were consistently flooded.
Some can been seen downstream from the bridge on streetview.
None can be seen in the aerial views of the particular pictures of the works.

boisker

You’re wasting your time John...
you are arguing with a retired generation whose working adult lives spanned the fastest changes to our environment, loss of habitat and species... not only didn’t they notice, they didn’t care and still don’t....

blithfield2

you are arguing with a retired generation whose working adult lives spanned the fastest changes to our environment, loss of habitat and species... not only didn’t they notice, they didn’t care and still don’t....
I must congratulate you on for once NOT coming on here and calling people morons - something you have a track record of doing. Is that a habit of the not retired generation?

aenoon

Your also arguing with some that have put a lifetime into actually trying to enhance and protect same environment, and perhaps do know a thing or to about the subject.
But then you have no idea about us, do you.
Bert

Latest posts