River Lugg

bonefishblues

Think you missed the bit in the presss about the properties adjacent to the land that were consistently flooded.
Some can been seen downstream from the bridge on streetview.
None can be seen in the aerial views of the particular pictures of the works.
How many? I count 4 on that whole stretch. Your count may vary, of course.

Mr Notherone

You’re wasting your time John...
you are arguing with a retired generation whose working adult lives spanned the fastest changes to our environment, loss of habitat and species... not only didn’t they notice, they didn’t care and still don’t....
You're right Matt, pointless discussion with the hard of thinking.

aenoon

Linlithgow, Scotland and anywhere i can wet a line
How many? I count 4 on that whole stretch. Your count may vary, of course.
I dont have an actual count of the numbers of houses flooded, but then again, neither will you have.
However, for there to be a local community council, with a good few numbers on committee, would assume there is a lot more than four properties involved!
Bert

blithfield2

You know nothing about me.

Address the issues, I suggest, and all will be well.

Look, squirrel!

I addressed the issues in post 145.
The world never changes, those who can, do, whilst those that cannot, pontificate and draw up risk assessments

blithfield2

aenoon

Jury may still be out on this, but I think my pragmatic methods are closer to reality
So some of the worst storms and winter conditions, in years resulted in zero flooding of the village for the first time in years!
Come the summer, when everything is rosy, banks are full of regrowth, landscape is back to this green and pleasant land, the river bank now reprofiled will still hold back flooding, but will be greened off.
Who will then castigate the farmer for his effort?
Bert

bonefishblues

So some of the worst storms and winter conditions, in years resulted in zero flooding of the village for the first time in years!
Come the summer, when everything is rosy, banks are full of regrowth, landscape is back to this green and pleasant land, the river bank now reprofiled will still hold back flooding, but will be greened off.
Who will then castigate the farmer for his effort?
Bert
Might it be the Prosecutors who bring charges relating to the long-term damage to an SSSI do you think? It being a crime, and all that.

Reg Wyatt

Responsibilities of property owners​

The law (common law) requires that you use your property or land in a way that does not increase the risk of flooding to a neighbouring property. If you do carry out acts on your property that results in flooding to other people’s property, you may face a civil action.

Bert
There you go Bert. You're that clever you've found the bit of legal requirement to charge the bulldozer man.
Couldn't make it up. You should have been a lawyer....'ouch?'

Reg Wyatt

blithfield2

Might it be the Prosecutors who bring charges relating to the long-term damage to an SSSI do you think? It being a crime, and all that.

Do you think that charges will be bought?

Personally I don't think they will and if they are (to pacify the snowflakes) there will never be a conviction.

aenoon

There you go Bert. You're that clever you've found the bit of legal requirement to charge the bulldozer man.
Couldn't make it up. You should have been a lawyer....'ouch?'

Reg Wyatt
Perhaps you should actually read the rest of that excerpt, or perhaps down load the full thing, and indeed actually digest the wording, especially the bits about flood prevention.
"OUCH" indeed.
Bert

B.T.W. editing my original post to suit your argument is a bit puerile is it not?
If you are going to quote me, do it in full, or dont do it at all. Please.

Last edited:

bonefishblues

Do you think that charges will be bought?

Personally I don't think they will and if they are (to pacify the snowflakes) there will never be a conviction.
Charges are brought if there's an illegal act where the CPS judges that there is a reasonable prospect of conviction. I don't think the weather has much to do with it. I am not party to the evidence so I don't know the outcome.

What I am content to do is condemn the actions of the farmer who, even if not prosecuted may be subject to civil claims from those downstream if their property is damaged due to his actions.

bonefishblues

Will be a bold prosecutor using the words "long term damage" as that cannot be proven.
However, short term advantage can, and has been proven.
Bert
Expert evidence would of course be called by both sides. That and collateral evidence such as images of many tons of bulldozer wending its way up the SSSI watercourse.

aenoon

Charges are brought if there's an illegal act where the CPS judges that there is a reasonable prospect of conviction. I don't think the weather has much to do with it. I am not party to the evidence so I don't know the outcome.

What I am content to do is condemn the actions of the farmer who, even if not prosecuted may be subject to civil claims from those downstream if their property is damaged due to his actions.
Seems those adjacent downstream have no longer got the threat of flooding, i.e. immediate neighbours, due to his actions, therefore there will be no civil claims, but could have been possible without his actions!
Any one further downstream, i.e. not immediate neighbours, have no claim whatsoever on his holdings, or his actions.
Bert

Latest posts