River Lugg

shropshire_lad

There's some mention in one of the articles about the farmer referring to the EA as people with clipboards whereas presumably he's a farmer with a bloody big digger.

He's not helping himself, in fact one might say he's digging a bigger and bigger hole for himself :rolleyes:

Anyone remember Farmer Palmer of Viz fame?

-aiS8rqyGH7HTKu4byTMkA.jpg

blithfield2

So we wait for the EA to be given money or to take their fingers from up their bums - tell that to those householders that will be flooded this winter and have been waiting and waiting for flood protection

bonefishblues

Farmer and community want to do the work. EA's got not much money. Solution? Let farmer do the work which will alleviate the community's concerns and preserve an important amenity which flows through its heart.

I really don't see what's so problematic about that. But let it be done properly, with appropriate advice and certification, please. If certification is taking time to come through, then do the interim work to clear the third arch.

PaulD

So we wait for the EA to be given money or to take their fingers from up their bums - tell that to those householders that will be flooded this winter and have been waiting and waiting for flood protection

So, tell me . . . are these new houses built on a flood plain? Have you investigated the Google maps?

What has happened to the river and river bank just here will more than likely have a greater impact on promoting further, greater flooding downstream. Canalising riverbeds only has the effect of accelerating water within the river, it does nothing to distribute, moderate water flow from adjoining land etc.

Anyone who has any understanding of river flow and flood prevention will tell you that the actions taken here are reckless, ill-informed violations. It does appear that the EA were aware that works needed to be done, but their delay in acting upon the need does not give the farmer licence to flout the law as some kind of environmental vigilante.

shropshire_lad

Fortunately, we live in a country where there are rules.

The relevant permissions for this work were either in place or they were not. If they were not, then a prosecution would appear likely.

What concerns me more is any penalty. What is needed is a fast resolution that puts money back into restoring the river and, possibly, making it less prone to flooding. Unfortunately, a fast resolution seems unlikely.

loxie

The EA are pretty much completely useless in virtually every respect and NE dangerously underfunded but if anyone honestly thinks this "operation" is in anyway justified then they are deluded. The man responsible will undoubtedly be unlicensed, or else why can he not say he has the necessary permits and licences. Even if the dismally useless EA don't prosecute it is certain that WUF or some other fisheries interests will seek damages. The farmer will be liable for the unlimited cost of restoration and quite rightly so.

glueman

It is obvious from some of the comments that most of the posters have never experienced flooding. I have 3 times,having tracked down the actual source I was told by the EA that it was not their problem as the sluices and weird had fallen into disrepair years previously and it wasn't their job to reinstate them

loxie

It is obvious from some of the comments that most of the posters have never experienced flooding. I have 3 times,having tracked down the actual source I was told by the EA that it was not their problem as the sluices and weird had fallen into disrepair years previously and it wasn't their job to reinstate them
It's nothing to do with flooding. Speeding up to water flow and denaturing water courses only makes flooding worse. I suspect I have rather more experience of flooding than most.

glueman

It's nothing to do with flooding. Speeding up to water flow and denaturing water courses only makes flooding worse. I suspect I have rather more experience of flooding than most.
Have you had water over 12 inches deep through the front door and out through the back. Until you have you do not have experience

boisker

Have you had water over 12 inches deep through the front door and out through the back. Until you have you do not have experience

that’s a totally irrelevant post... what has houses flooding got to do with conveyance of water down a river... there’s been a lot of ‘improvement’ works done to rivers that have made absolutely sod all difference to flooding...

glueman

that’s a totally irrelevant post... what has houses flooding got to do with conveyance of water down a river... there’s been a lot of ‘improvement’ works done to rivers that have made absolutely sod all difference to flooding...
Where do you think the water came from boisker it came from the local river you div so my post was far from irrelevant please engage grey matter

boisker

Where do you think the water came from boisker it came from the local river you div so my post was far from irrelevant please engage grey matter

once again... excellent post 😂 😂 😂

i’ll leave you to it.. you’ve shown on numerous threads your detailed knowledge and experience in a whole multitude of subjects...

i haven’t been called a div since about 5 yrs old in the 1970’s... made me laugh... cheers 😂

Mr Notherone

A while ago everyone was an international trade expert. Then with days of training everyone became a global epidemiologist. Now all the same people are expert environmentalists.

I can only just keep up with the spelling...ain’t social media great 🤣

bobmiddlepoint

What this thread needs is someone who used to work in the EA.
Someone who could tell us that what the Lugg really needs now is a good slurry pollution which it will recover from in a matter of months if not weeks or even minutes.
Someone who could tell us we are all part of the problem (but he isn't when it comes to the flea treatment on his dogs).
Someone who could mention that he works as a guide.
If only we had a member like that...

andygrey

Someone who could tell us that what the Lugg really needs now is a good slurry pollution which it will recover from in a matter of months if not weeks or even minutes.
Someone who could tell us we are all part of the problem (but he isn't when it comes to the flea treatment on his dogs).
Who is this wiseman you speak of?

Mr Notherone

He’s pulling his pants on over his trousers and attaching his cape as we speak.....

BobP

Nah! I'll leave it to the gloriously ignorant on here. Plenty of them to choose from to judge by the posts. Better things to do with my life, but I will say one thing. At least I've been involved in that sort of scenario unlike others.

andygrey

Back OT...
It would appear that the waters are now quite muddied but one possible scenario is that the farmer was given the go-ahead by the EA (possibly tacitly) to carryout some work on the river... but not to the extent that was actually was done. Certainly reading through the information available it looks like the EA and PC had a discussion on works just downstream of the bridge, which wouldn't have been great but not as much of a disaster. The farmer took this as a green light to carry out much more far reaching work.
I suspect that the whole situation will be played down and handed-off by the EA as a 'simple mix-up' regarding scope of work. This could also be a defence used by the farmer, so basically, I don't think very much more will come of this. I do however hope that I'm wrong...

shropshire_lad

Back OT...
It would appear that the waters are now quite muddied but one possible scenario is that the farmer was given the go-ahead by the EA (possibly tacitly) to carryout some work on the river... but not to the extent that was actually was done. Certainly reading through the information available it looks like the EA and PC had a discussion on works just downstream of the bridge, which wouldn't have been great but not as much of a disaster. The farmer took this as a green light to carry out much more far reaching work.
I suspect that the whole situation will be played down and handed-off by the EA as a 'simple mix-up' regarding scope of work. This could also be a defence used by the farmer, so basically, I don't think very much more will come of this. I do however hope that I'm wrong...
I think you are probably right.

Latest posts