River Lugg

andygrey

Andy around 50 years ago they straightened our local river and dredged it as well as building flood banks to stop the floodplains flooding and its worked well.
Upstream to this it floods and downstream to this it floods but its saved our floodplain :unsure:

I should add the river was void of fish at the time due to pollution

Exactly my point. I'm alright Jack and **** everybody else approach...

PaulD

Nobody would argue that river courses have been managed for many, many years and that 'management' is an ongoing requirement. However, what many fail to recognise is that there is a moral and ethical element to the management process. One wonders if some of the supporters of the actions taken on the Lugg would be able to differentiate between rape and consensual sex.

I doubt that within the 300 years since the building of Glueman's house, those responsible for the management of his river, felt the need to drive a bulldozer up it.

shropshire_lad

I also don't buy into any of the altruistic BS statements from the farmer about protecting the locals from flooding.
Absolutely. This statement from the farmer made me laugh....or rather cry :rolleyes:

I have got the support of the village and parish council and they had a meeting especially about the work being done. They all said what a wonderful job John Price has done and recommended that they send me a letter thanking me for that work and saving the river and helping the flooding.”

I think he's is cloud cuckoo land, not that I imagine many cuckoos would dare encroach on his patch!

blithfield2

The issues are;
There is a history of the river flooding
Many houses in a village have been/are affected.
The Environment Agency is aware but for reasons unknown have decided not to take direct action/no action is necessary
A farmer has taken it upon himself, something wholly supported by the population of the village, to take action to prevent flooding

If my house was at risk and the authorities refused/declined/sat on their arces, I would drive the bulldozer into the river to protect the lives of family and property.

That's the problems with dreams and reality, somewhere along the line someone has to do something and clearly quite a few of you seem unable to see that

shropshire_lad

The issues are;
The Environment Agency is aware but for reasons unknown have decided not to take direct action/no action is necessary
A farmer has taken it upon himself, something wholly supported by the population of the village, to take action to prevent flooding

If my house was at risk and the authorities refused/declined/sat on their arces, I would drive the bulldozer into the river to protect the lives of family and property.

That's the problems with dreams and reality, somewhere along the line someone has to do something and clearly quite a few of you seem unable to see that
You may be right BF as I have not read all the news reports. However, from the ones I have read I have seen no evidence of "many" houses being affected by flooding, I have just read one story relating to one woman. I have also read no reports of the population of the village wholly supporting him?

From what I have read, I have formed the impression, possibly wrongly, of a rather arrogant individual (the farmer) who decided he did not like the "clipboard" mentality of the EA and thus decided to take matters into his own hands. The refusal of his planning application, which one imagines would have netted him serious money, may have played a part in this.

boisker

The issues are;

perhaps as an example if NE then sued you and your lost your house people would consider following what is a straight forward procedure... it’s certainly not rocket science, although as usual people seem to struggle with it in the forum.
sort out permission... fill in the paperwork, it’s straight forward enough.. you describe what work you plan to do, how and when you will do it, what species are at risk and how to mitigate for it...

they say the flooding has been getting worse for 10 years, perhaps they should be allowed to do some work in the river... I don’t know the details.... but what is blatantly obvious, if the had gone through the full thought process and planned out the works with even a vague nod towards lessening the impact on protected species they ‘probably’ wouldn’t have done it during spawning??

what is also obvious is trundling a dozer down the river wouldn’t have been allowed... the approach taken shows a complete disregard for the river and wildlife, whatever he or the locals think... there are far less damaging options available...

Last edited:

blithfield2

Sometimes the theorists have to become pragmatic, I know some on here will find that thought uncomfortable.

I think it's accepted that some dialogue has taken place between villagers, farmer and EA, presumably over a ten year period and the situation is getting worse - I say again 'crack on farmer Jones'.

boisker

Sometimes the theorists have to become pragmatic, I know some on here will find that thought uncomfortable.

I think it's accepted that some dialogue has taken place between villagers, farmer and EA, presumably over a ten year period and the situation is getting worse - I say again 'crack on farmer Jones'.
You‘re a moron...

glueman

Nobody would argue that river courses have been managed for many, many years and that 'management' is an ongoing requirement. However, what many fail to recognise is that there is a moral and ethical element to the management process. One wonders if some of the supporters of the actions taken on the Lugg would be able to differentiate between rape and consensual sex.

I doubt that within the 300 years since the building of Glueman's house, those responsible for the management of his river, felt the need to drive a bulldozer up it.
Until early 1900,s they didn't have bull dozers a man with a shovel kept watercourses clear of vedgetation and obstruction. It worked now we have the EA and numerous other bodies pushing paper around whilst listening to Packham. A few years ago where my son lives roads were swept away and towns inundated with flood water. Something has to be done what do you suggest. No point in pointing fingers without suggesting a solution.

PaulD

I suggest the EA and other appropriate agencies are properly funded to enable watercourse management. Oh . . . hang on, Boris, Prince Buff of the Oon Tribe is currently busy trying to ensure that our environmental controls continue to be degraded,

bonefishblues

o water should be held back,when questioning the EA about the floods we had had and mentioning the non maintenance of sluices and weirs the response was basically not our problem

perhaps as an example if NE then sued you and your lost your house people would consider following what is a straight forward procedure... it’s certainly not rocket science, although as usual people seem to struggle with it in the forum.
sort out permission... fill in the paperwork, it’s straight forward enough.. you describe what work you plan to do, how and when you will do it, what species are at risk and how to mitigate for it...

they say the flooding has been getting worse for 10 years, perhaps they should be allowed to do some work in the river... I don’t know the details.... but what is blatantly obvious, if the had gone through the full thought process and planned out the works with even a vague nod towards lessening the impact on protected species they ‘probably’ wouldn’t have done it during spawning??

what is also obvious is trundling a dozer down the river wouldn’t have been allowed... the approach taken shows a complete disregard for the river and wildlife, whatever he or the locals think... there are far less damaging options available...
Yes, pretty much that.

andygrey

OK boomer...

glueman

I'm all for rounded, balanced discussion but the fact that some on a fishing forum some seem to find this sort of action in any way defensible has me gobsmacked o_O
Shroppy without all the details all anyone is doing is guessing what happened. When all the facts are out in the public domain then we can see. But having had dealings with the EA and DEFRA over flooding and lack of watercourse cleaning and their usual response,your land your problem

Laxdale

It is easy enough to play with Google and see the flooding in the area last winter.
Does anyone know how frequently the area floods compared to the past?
How long have the locals been getting nowhere with the clipboard warriors?
I am an angler, yes, and have done my bit in the past to restore fish stocks in rivers. But I will side with the locals wanting a dry house over a few anglers and eco warriors wanting the river left untouched every day of the week.

boisker

Shroppy without all the details all anyone is doing is guessing what happened. When all the facts are out in the public domain then we can see. But having had dealings with the EA and DEFRA over flooding and lack of watercourse cleaning and their usual response,your land your problem
Woohoo... he’s had dealings... another expert 😂 😂 😂 I think we could summarise the technical nature of those dealing on a back of a fag packet...

boisker

It is easy enough to play with Google and see the flooding in the area last winter.
Does anyone know how frequently the area floods compared to the past?
How long have the locals been getting nowhere with the clipboard warriors?
I am an angler, yes, and have done my bit in the past to restore fish stocks in rivers. But I will side with the locals wanting a dry house over a few anglers and eco warriors wanting the river left untouched every day of the week.

... I have family live about 4 miles away... it’s always flooded.... locally I am sure they would say more often recently, farmers no doubt blame EA and think their own farming practices- bare earth in winter, over grazed fields and heavy compaction from machinery with no thought to aerating the soils leave them blame free!
But final time... let’s try again-
there is lots of work options that would have been licenced, removing the blockage at the bridge and a short distance up stream would have been allowed.... driving a dozer through the river is indefensible, there were far better practical management options that would have been far less damaging and at least as successful...

glueman

Boisker the dealings were about flooding across about 50 acres of land and a foot or so through our farmhouse. 3 times the second and 3rd time a month apart. So had a lot of correspondence and conversation with them. But as said the final answers were not our problems. So tributaries got cleaned with a JCB by me and an employee over a period. Give me a strait answer you have the gear what would you do