River Mole Devon

FlyWales

Has anyone have an update on the fish replenishment, of the river Mole in Devon, after the August 2019 river contamination?

catzrob

I'm also interested in this. I saw a post on facebook but no one replied.

catzrob

Recent catch returns on the Fish Pass app are unpromising. Only the four most recent returns seem to be shown but:
Garramarsh
Date May 30July 27August 10August 19
Catch-Four brown trout--
Wampford Bridge
DateMay 28June 1June 12July 15
Catch----

Wampford bridge blurb says
A short beat at 800m of single bank. Open for brown trout and Sea trout from March 15 till 30 September. The 2019 season saw anglers greeted with exceptional trout fishing, trout in size and numbers were recorded throughout the year with the best catch recorded in July. Anglers were pleased to observe a high number of trout fry in the shallows and frequent slow larger rising fish in the pools.

The fish kill was in July 2019 so I don't know how that adds up.

I will email the Fish Pass people and see if they have any info, and have a look at some other rivers' catch returns.

Blue Fox Glade has 2/4 blanks and Bradiford Water 3/4 too though so maybe people have just been unlucky.

loxie

The perpetrators have been found guilty and fined a derisory amount. No compensation has been ordered or offered but I hope RTFA will seek damages. There has been no replacement stocking nor any mitigation action of any type.

The mole is reasonably healthy but there is no doubt stocks are diminishing and while a major fish kill highlights the problem of agricultural pollution the ongoing every day pollution is slowly killing it.

catzrob

Yes I saw the news about the fine. Derisory is the word.

How is the river fishing at the moment? Has it recovered at all or is it just the survivors?

loxie

Yes I saw the news about the fine. Derisory is the word.

How is the river fishing at the moment? Has it recovered at all or is it just the survivors?
Trout fishing is excellent, or it is where I fish, but this years Salmon and Sea trout run is dismal. Catches have been poor since 2017: droughts etc have confused the picture but I am getting a quarter of the fish I got 2012 to 2017 these days. I was salmon fishing last week and could barely get my fly back for trout, some over a 1lb. Not as many parr as in the past but what there were were huge. I've leased this beat for over 20 years now and the migratory fish have never been so poor nor the brownies so good.