River Nene Islip to Oundle

Rob Edmunds

Tomorrow my lad and I are taking the kayak down the river and fishing a #2 weight for Chub and Dace.....Start at Islip Woolpack and finish at Oundle...

He tied a few parachutes up tonight from 12 to 22......the smallest this size 22.

I will take a few photos tomorrow and provide an update on our adventure

20200814_193953~2.jpg

Rob Edmunds

Well after a hot week I couldn't see the point of struggling on the Midlands reservoirs and paying for the privilege....instead my lad and I headed down the local river Nene to try something a little different.

We quite often fish from the Kayak as you're guaranteed to catch 15+ fish on dries although small they still put a bend in your rod which is all that matters to us.

We started our adventure at Islip by the Woolpack pub, and quickly caught a couple of Bleak and Dace on the micro dries...

Not exactly large fish just 2 ounces at best but a welcome start.

We then headed down stream between Elinor and Thrapston Gravel Pits.

As soon as we saw fish rising or willows overhanging the water we stopped and just let the current carry us - one of us could hold the kayak broadside while the other fished.

I changed the fly to a size 14 black Klink in the hope we may pick up something slightly larger than 2oz..

We soon came across plenty of small Chub, mostly around 4 to 8oz, these loved the "plop" of the dry as it hit the water and were pretty easy......as soon as there was an overhanging tree you'd catch, especially if you cast under or as close to the bank or tree as possible.

Despite seeing a couple of larger Chub in the 3 to 4lb class, we couldn't get them to take - we tried bigger dries etc ....I think we need to target these fish last light to have a decent chance.

We saw and caught fish all the way to Titchmarsh Locks probably about 25 to the boat .....but from Titchmarsh to Thorpe Waterville absolutely nothing, never even rose a fish despite the water looking perfect.

Paddling is actually quite hard work and in 4 hours we only traveled about 3 or 4 miles maximum.....we decided to call it a day at Thorpe Waterville and get picked up rather than struggling back upstream...

The next stretch Aldwincle to Oundle can be tackled at a later date

A very enjoyable morning, and something a little different, we enjoyed catching fish on the dries and getting almost continuous action the size didn't matter to us at all.....

The more we fish the river, the more we enjoy it. Some how its just so much nicer ( and quieter) to be on moving " living" water than a reservoir with sailors, walkers, bikers and hoards of day trippers all playing loud music.

20200815_104049(0)~2.jpg20200815_120538~2.jpg

Attachments

• 20200815_120844~2.jpg
    20200815_120844~2.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:

darans

Lovely post and brought back some real memories for me. I grew up in Oundle and started coarse fishing the Nene for roach, bream, chub and bleak about 40 years ago. i also had a kayak and spent a few hours padding the stretches you describe.
many thanks. 😀

bakelit79

Hi Rob,

not bad a session. To be honest dace is a lovely fishto target. Shame about the big chub, nice to catch one every now and then. I have been meaning to hit the stretch of the Nene between Oundle and Thrapston but may hold fire until more positive news. Do you know if the stretch around Elinor is some kind of nature protection zone? About 6 years ago we drove down - i believe - Mill lane in the back of Islip to the sailing club area. As we stood on the bridge we saw masses of good coarse fish (looked roachy to me) but then we also saw a sign saying that it was some kind of nature reserve area. Hence we never fished that bit of the Nene. Also have you been on the back water at Elinor? I think it is the Harpers. Again just walking around that area in the back of Elinor me and Skateboard Dave saw loads in that small watercourse. I wonder if that was a club water or If it was possible to get permission from the Elinor folks just to fish the section within their boundaries. I fish the Harpers fairly regularly and that is one amazing water at the moment. You might do better if you check out the smaller tribs of the Nene. I nowadays rarely fish big and open waters away from regular patrol of dog walkers.They tend to keep the predators away. I hope to read more from your area, would be good to crack the Nene.

Cheers,

Pete

Shangerlad

Nice catch and report, the nene behind elinor caught my eye,when i fished elinor last time. when i fish it next time i will ask. And post the reply if no one beats me to it. I've yet to catch a chub on the fly, hopefully my first one this evening.

Rob Edmunds

Chub are really really easy on dries....For fish 3 to 12oz a size 16 black Klink is best and clear water

For the bigger fish 12oz upwards a size 10 or 12 black hopper or Parachute Adam's.

Fish up to 1lb 8oz can be caught easily during the day......but larger fish it's better last light, or after there has been a good rain and the water has a bit of colour in it...

We use #2 weight rods and it's great fun

If you go into the village of Aldwincle the stretch there ( just as you go over the bridge towards the Fox Pub at Thorpe Waterville) has lots of Chub in it.

That's Kettering & District Angling Associations water as is much of Pilton and Wadenhoe..

Stunning scenery, great fishing and cheap membership.

Shangerlad

Re the black clink. i tried using a klinkhammer on a lake but found it sank. whether my line was to thick. 6lb maxima, though it could have been poor timing on the cast, though i think i've got the casting sorted now, apart from it goes off if i fish to long!

Rob Edmunds

Silly question but you did "Gink" up the hackle didn't you ?

Parachute flies lie flat on the water, so can look like they have sunk.....try them literally at your feet just to check.

Everyone's casting goes downhill towards the end of the day when tired, or when rushing......usually when we are trying to cast at a rising fish within range

Oh on the river we use 2 or 3lb mono..... 4lb if just after the bigger fish..Screenshot_20191125-201001_Twitter.jpg

Last edited:

Shangerlad

I have some gink, though at the time i might not have. next time i'll try thinnerline as well. yesterday i used 4lb, but i didn't try the klink. I started with 6lb because that was recomended to me for elinor. for the coarse fish i fish lighter. Thanks for the help.

Skateboard Dave

Nice one Rob.
Something I've been meaning to do for years on the Nene or Welland although my 13ft plus sea kayaks might seem a bit overkill.
Do you bother with licences for the water you fish from a kayak?
I can imagine you may pass through several different club waters on a trip along the river.
Cheers

Dee

Rob Edmunds

I have a Kettering ticket anyway, and I believe that covers all of the water we fish up to Oundle ( certainly as far as Wadenhoe)..

Oundle/Barnwell we haven't fished yet but its covered by a Wellingborough ticket.......

Latest posts