River Ourthe in Belgium

pdenb

Have plans to visit the river Ourthe in Belgium soon and was hoping that maybe there were some friendly, local Belgian fishermen around here who could give me a few pointers/tips from their own experience. I'll be visiting the stretches owned by the 'La Truite Houffalize' fishing club and have no idea what to expect. Love to fish dries.

kind regards,

Paul.

lhomme

Hi Paul,
you'll be fishing one of the arms above the barrage de Nisramont. It's called l'Ourthe Orientale as opposed to the Occidentale arm. The club you joined is a large one, I believe at some point they had over 800 members, coming from all parts of the country and other countries too. Reason being it is a nice stretch of river and they have a few tributaries you can fish too as a member. Second reason so many like it is because the club has the means to stock heavily with brown trout, so especially in the summer you'll never be alone anywhere on the main river. Dries are as good an option as wet flies, nymphs and even small streamers. Mayflies and sedges are abundant there. The stocked trout are of decent size (up to 30 cm max.) and some years they even get a couple of old breeding fish (géniteurs) to top up the volume. It would be good to get a detailed map of the region, that way you can visit the tributaries when the main stretch gets crowded. They usually are more secluded and definitely less fished.

Bonne merde! ;)

lhomme

I should have added you can fish the whole river Ourthe downstream from the barrage with the state permit you need to buy (I believe you can buy "holiday" permits as well now, at least they were busy looking into that when I left the region). You'll find more info here: http://www.maisondelapeche.be/En

The river downstream from the barrage is less crowded, less stocked, but the chances of catching wild brown trout and other fish as grayling, chub, rudd and barbel are real. You'll even find shoals of common nase and the stretches are beautiful. Tibewé, le Hérou and les Ondes are all worth a visit. Prepare for long walks though. ;)

Last edited:

thetrouttickler

I'll be watching this thread with interest. Please post a report after your visit. My brother is starting at the university in Leuven in September (well, if the virus pandemic alleviates and he is allowed to travel there). Over the next three years I plan to visit and do some fishing with him. Any trout fishing near Leuven, Johan?

docsalmo

There's 1 or 2 fly fishing clubs in the area of Leuven - Tienen (Frank Sawyer & Millenium). No trout rivers. Perhaps you can try to fly fish for carp or pike. There used to be a reservoir with stocked rainbows (Millenium Lake). Need to check if it's still in use.

lhomme

I'll be watching this thread with interest. Please post a report after your visit. My brother is starting at the university in Leuven in September (well, if the virus pandemic alleviates and he is allowed to travel there). Over the next three years I plan to visit and do some fishing with him. Any trout fishing near Leuven, Johan?
I think docsalmo covered it well, thetrouttickler. All (trout) rivers are in Wallonia and most reservoirs as well, but there are a few possibilities to fish still waters in Flanders and the region isn't that large. Alternatively you could fish Kluizen, a large drinkwater reservoir near Gent.
More info here: http://www.vliegvissen.be/?p=kluizen_voorstelling

thetrouttickler

I think docsalmo covered it well, thetrouttickler. All (trout) rivers are in Wallonia and most reservoirs as well, but there are a few possibilities to fish still waters in Flanders and the region isn't that large. Alternatively you could fish Kluizen, a large drinkwater reservoir near Gent.
More info here: http://www.vliegvissen.be/?p=kluizen_voorstelling
Thank you. We might make a trip to the rivers in Wallonia, then. It's a small distance relatively speaking.

pdenb

Thanks for the information Lhomme. One of my fishing mates decided he couldn't wait any longer and already went over there for a day. Said it was tough but managed to catch 7 trout and 11 chub. Not bigger then 30cm indeed. Our plan is to spend 2 full days there in the coming weeks. I'll let you guys know how it goes.