River Rod - What would you recommend?

john10001

What rod would you recommend for fishing rivers that is 9ft and #6 weight and have a slower action? Is there anything out there that is good value? Does anyone make anything similar to the old Vision Cult rods? I am not sure if this was replaced by anything else? I presume it was discontinued?

Hardrar

What rod would you recommend for fishing rivers that is 9ft and #6 weight and have a slower action? Is there anything out there that is good value? Does anyone make anything similar to the old Vision Cult rods? I am not sure if this was replaced by anything else? I presume it was
These were E glass rods and only went up to a 7’-6”” #7/8 for pike and Grilse. I had the 6’-6” version and it was ridiculously slow! Trouble is a 9’ #6 is going to be a handful in E glass I use Swift 580s on Rivers or a 480 on CTS quartz S glass blanks built up by Adam Rawson. They cast long lines and play even big fish superbly.
I don’t like off the peg rods.
A +#6 wt and slow action don’t really go together, slow action usually is for lower line weights,
In the budget end the wychwood game are a glass carbon blend and highly rated?
B8B09744-8FD3-4E0A-B0A4-61E13906A0BE.jpeg

73217DE3-D946-4B0A-A741-BF01EDB07310.jpeg

Last edited:

Vermontdrifter

The Cult was not a glass rod although they did make a glass version. Maybe the Onki or the new Hero both from Vision? I’m still using a Cult 9’ 4 weight as my main rod and would love to get my hands on a spare.

Mrwayne

What rod would you recommend for fishing rivers that is 9ft and #6 weight and have a slower action? Is there anything out there that is good value? Does anyone make anything similar to the old Vision Cult rods? I am not sure if this was replaced by anything else? I presume it was discontinued?
see what i just wrote about the Vision Hero line. Absolutely knocked this out the park and can't be beat.

Hardrar

The Cult was not a glass rod although they did make a glass version. Maybe the Onki or the new Hero both from Vision? I’m still using a Cult 9’ 4 weight as my main rod and would love to get my hands on a spare.
I had several bitd they were all glass rods that I owned some of the later rods were glass/carbon mix like the old Abu Carbolite. Great to use.
The Onki are relatively fast by comparison.

Vermontdrifter

I had several bitd they were all glass rods that I owned some of the later rods were glass/carbon mix like the old Abu Carbolite. Great to use.
The Onki are relatively fast by comparison.
Yours were the later Cult Fiber. Here are the ones I am speaking of http://www.favourite-tackle.co.uk/?p=258. I was very tempted by the Cult Fiber but could not justify another small stream rod at the time.

Last edited:

Vermontdrifter

Yours were the later Cult Fiber. Here are the ones I am speaking of http://www.favourite-tackle.co.uk/?p=258
They are high modular glass fibre not carbon.
Good Lord Man! I’ve had one and been fishing with it for 10 years. It is definitely a 9’ 4 weight, carbon rod no matter what you may think. I repeat that you are confusing the Vision Cult with the Vision Cult Fiber which was a glass rod. https://issuu.com/visionflyfishing/docs/web_vision2015_ebook_compressed/10?ff. here is the 2015 Vision catalog if my word is not enough.

Last edited:

Overmiwadrers

On bigger rivers its the Scott for me , smaller rivers I have found the Sage Circa 7ft 9 inch 3 wt . PS I have a Cult 9ft 3wt . And it’s definitely carbon. Although must confess haven’t used it for a while , but carbon it is the cult fibre rods were later . and before anyone says that they didnt do a 9ft 3wt yes they did I have one.....

O MW

Last edited:

sean freeman

I had the 9’ 3wt cult but sold it. I have a 9’ 5wt and a 7’6” 3wt that are both sublime! I regret selling the 9’ 3wt but I’ve been on the look out for the 9’6” 4wt as my uncle uses one and prefers it to his circa, it’s a brilliant dry fly rod but the only drawback is the fact it’s a three piece.

sean freeman

Haha I have my money down on his new 486 model. It’s my most used size and the way he describes it sounds sublime!

sean freeman

That one looks good. I wonder if the first batch are test rods only or customer builds ?
I think he wanted to refine the butt section a little when I last spoke to him but he said the action is squarely between the 8’ and 9’ P4 so it should be a perfect dry fly rod. I sent a radian off for work lately too and they decided to give me credit rather than repair so I may try the new centric in a 905 too.. 🤷‍♂️

roadrunner1000

What do you think of the Ti5? I’m tempted by one for loch fishing.
It would be perfect for loch fishing (y) . I've only used mine off the bank so far and can't fault it . Lovely 'steely' action (trying not to use the word 'stiff' as it isn't). It can certainly cast a fair distance when required and the tip is just right when playing fish. I've landed a couple over 3lb so far and the rod didn't bend into a hoop and I felt there was little chance of pulling the hook out when holding the fish hard (for C&R). For short casts it's spot on , loads easily and is very accurate, just right for the lochs :)