River Rods you don't get on with

lhomme

I'd second the BIIX lacking personality, but compared to the 5 weights in any rod range I have had the opportunity to try the 6 weights are often a bit dead.

One rod that immediately springs to mind is the Sage Z Axis, coming between the faithful XP and the unbeatable 'One', the Z Axis just didn't cut it.
Funny you mention the Z-Axis, Alan, I've built a few and found the 8'6" #4 to be a real gem. Then on the other hand I've tried good XP's but when I built a 4 piece 9'6" #5 for nymphing I found out quick it needs a lot more work and attention for precision casting at distance. The One series are overall superior, indeed. In most cases it's only one or a couple rods that stick out, but the One's I tried were all good, IMHO.
Orvis disappointed me with most of their Zero Gravity range though and didn't really make up for it with the Helios. But I guess many will disagree, preferences remain subjective.

baztek1

it was a 9ft #6, dull rod.
S.
ahh wait i see i have the 9' 4# and love it.

I tried the LT 9' 4# at the same time and much preferred the Biiix.
However Rookstorm on here is a friend of mine and a qualified casting instructor and brilliant with a rod in his hand and he preferred the LT.

gegg

Wychwood Truefly 9' 6" #6

As flexible as a concrete lintel, until I put a #8 sinker on it for loch fishing from a boat one day. Bluddy lovely.

LukeNZ

Hardy Zephrus Double Hand (Spey) 6/7wt. 11’ 6”

Cork grip seems like it was made for a gorilla and, is way too long for such a short double handed rod.

Not much feel - but it will chuck a weighty skagit head a very long way.

Mrtrout

ahh wait i see i have the 9' 4# and love it.

I tried the LT 9' 4# at the same time and much preferred the Biiix.
However Rookstorm on here is a friend of mine and a qualified casting instructor and brilliant with a rod in his hand and he preferred the LT.
Had a few Winstons and loved them, I think it was just the #6
S.

baztek1

Had a few Winstons and loved them, I think it was just the #6
S.
i know S i was only pulling your leg. :D

But its good to know for a while i was considering the 9'6 6# Biii3x for sea trout fishing in the dark. But for that i do prefer a rod that has some feel, better for me when casting so i know whats going on.

JayP

Funnily enough I came on here to say the same about my Shakespeare agility 10' 3#.

It feels cheap (even compared to rods that cost less), it sounds hollow, I can't cast it with any line, leader, fly combination that I have tried.

It's my longest rod, so I gets taken out in the winter for Grayling nymphing, but even when I'm using it for that it never feels right.

Interestingly the one thing it can do is play and land fish, but anything up to getting them on the hook just isn't enjoyable.

Just thinking about it to type this has made me want to buy a replacement.
Mine didn't even get as far as catching a fish, took about 20 minutes to decide the rod wasn't for me

ohanzee

People should also realise that it could be their casting stroke don't match the rod
I hate this phrase, it suggests rods should be made to accommodate inability to adjust, it comes up in debates about soft versus stiff all the time, mainly to point out that stiff rods are somehow bad, I'd put it thus...the softest rod I know is the Scott G series, and the stiffest a Sage TCR, I can cast both equally well by changing my casting stroke and I don't have a casting stroke that I prefer.

eddleston123

Today, I caught a few fish from a Tweed tributary with my Sharpes of Aberdeen the Gordon Rod. For me this rod is a delight to fish with. I think I will buy another in case they go out of production.

I have retired my Snowbee Diamond as I just can't get on with it.

Douglas

mackiia1

I'd second the BIIX lacking personality, but compared to the 5 weights in any rod range I have had the opportunity to try the 6 weights are often a bit dead.

One rod that immediately springs to mind is the Sage Z Axis, coming between the faithful XP and the unbeatable 'One', the Z Axis just didn't cut it.
I had a 10ft 6wt XP and didn't like it at all - but I really like my 9ft 4wt Z Axis.

ohanzee

I had a 10ft 6wt XP and didn't like it at all - but I really like my 9ft 4wt Z Axis.
I had a 10' 6 weight and I'd agree, dreadful, but then I hate all 10' 6 weights, the devils combination that, good for fishing sitting down apparently, and weirdly I'd agree that the 4 weight Z Axis is a delight, but I find all 9' 4 weights a delight, its just a nice size and weight for a rod.

mackiia1

I had a 10' 6 weight and I'd agree, dreadful, but then I hate all 10' 6 weights, the devils combination that, good for fishing sitting down apparently, and weirdly I'd agree that the 4 weight Z Axis is a delight, but I find all 9' 4 weights a delight, its just a nice size and weight for a rod.
My current favourite rod for Lough Fishing is a 10Ft 5Wt Hardy Marksman River .
I have a Redington CT 9Ft 5wt and love it - lovely soft action.
My worst ever Rod was a Snowbee Diamond 10 Ft 6wt - just about ok with a Floating line , but put an Intermediate on it and bingo- worst rod in history.

ohanzee

My worst ever was an Abu rod that I borrowed from a tackle shop after arriving without...a rod😳 it was so tip heavy that it curved at the end under its own weight when you held it out, bad.

Waltyluft

Three rods spring to mind that just wouldn't work for me.

1. A Vision 3 Zone 9' #5. Very well regarded by many but I hated it. Sold it to Bruce1 on here and he loved it. Possibly still does.

2. Orvis Helios 10' #5. Another rod I couldn't get on with. Hated the action. Fortunately it wasn't mine so I didn't have to keep using it.... or sell it.

3. An Atomsix 9' #4. Can't remember the model. It was custom built for a forum member who sold it on. Beautifully made but the tip section was like spaghetti. Really awful rod to cast.

williegunn

To use the Scottish use of the word rods meaning anglers, the answer will come as no surprise to anyone, as most of them especially those on the other bank.

dave b

To be honest I haven't had many I haven't got on with, more a case of didn't love enough or should have kept for longer.

Rods I regret selling are the Hardy Zephrus 9ft 5# and 10ft 3# to get back into match fishing. Superb rods I'd have back tomorrow.

The Bloke 8ft 3# was highly recommended, however for me it lacked feel. I also tried an Orvis Helios 2 7ft 6in 3# and funnily enough the Access 7ft 6in 4# and was disappointed in both rods finding them both quite harsh yet I really liked my Orvis Helios 2 mid flex 8ft 6in 4# which performed admirably and I couldn't fault but later sold because I simply didn't love it enough. for me it was a perfect tool that simply lacked personality. I know this is picky but some rods just need to be loved to give that relationship that makes it a keeper.

smallmouth

I couldn’t get on with my first river rod, a Daiwa CF98 eight foot rated 4/5. I bought it in rush, from a limited choice affordability wise, because my in-laws had invited us on a Dales holiday.

Though I like soft rods, I don’t think I ever found the right line for it.

Even less expensive was a 7 ft 4 weight Berkley possibly Phaser?

By contrast I loved this rod and seemed to be able to do almost anything with it, within reason.

I bought a Redington Wayfarer 9ft 5 weight originally for rivers, I soon realised it wasn’t right for my river fishing, but it’s been my main rod for stillwaters of all types ever since and I can’t see any reason to change that.

I bought a St Croix Legend Ultra 7ft 9ins 3 weight in the US and though some seem not to like this St Croix model, I gelled with mine from the off and caught a lot of fish with it.

I still have it two decades on, though unfortunately it only gets used on holidays these days.

eddleston123

I've just this afternoon ordered another Sharpes the Gordon 2 fly rod. Got it from Grahams of inverness with 10 per cent discount and free delivery.

Not many of these rods about, I get the feeling that they may be getting replaced soon. It suits my casting style and loads at short range, which I find a necessity when fishing small streams

Retired my Snowbee Diamond rod - Just never got on with that.

Douglas

Scotty90

Every Scott rod I have ever tried, I have no idea why but I just cannot get on with how they feel. I bought a Hardy Zephrus 9’6” 6 weight because I was stupid and sold my Zenith and it was possibly the worst of the bunch, a completely soulless length of carbon fibre.

Latest posts