River Soar-Middle of Leicester

Skateboard Dave

Reeesult!
Caught my first trout of the season from the city centre River Soar in Leicester, on my first attempt...yes. I have only ever managed two others, both last season from about 12 sessions...but plenty of coarse fish.
I don't expect to see any/many other posts of trout coming out, added here, but thought this post may encourage a few others to try, their local waters where trout are only roumoured to exist.
I have only met or heard of one other flyfisher, besides myself, who has taken any trout in the last 5 years from this river, so I am well chuffed despite how I may appear.
They do exist!

Returned alive...obviously, I shall be catching him again.
Dee

3lbgrayling

well done on your catch dee (what a lovely trout) who gives a f+ck what 'you' look like,i regularly drive through the middle of leicester ,(was amazed as i observed a heron fishing by the stream at 9pm on a winter's night by the lights of Hein Gerrick).herron = food, nice stream,and on my birdwatching forrays,i have seen plenty of trouty places,(not telling)

jim

Last edited:

del

Hmmmm,me thinks a trip on the river erewash is in order,ive heard of trout being caught in here but ive never seen any,and as its at a low level now i have seen a few swims with a nice gravel bottom which may hold trout.
i`ll give it a go and see how i get on.
Great looking trout Dee,its amazing where trout can be found :)

del

Last edited:

Skateboard Dave

Del, I've heard of plenty of trout from the Erewash. You should have a way easier time than me!
I've wanted to fish that river for a few years now, nice size-I do like the smaller rivers. If you have any info on locations, clubs, free stretches etc I'd be very greatful.
Dee
PS. you can p.m. me if you are worried about it getting flooded by forum members...I doubt that would happen though. I told the LFFC members about my trout from the Soar last year(and tons of chub) but only one of them has even tried it and that is because he fishes with me anyway!
You tried the Derwent in the middle of Derby, I've had some great grayling sport there on day ticket(you don't even pay!)water. Had 17 one short winter session and all good sized fish of 12oz to 1lb 4oz, free!

Skateboard Dave

3lbgrayling said:
well done on your catch dee (what a lovely trout) who gives a f+ck what 'you' look like,i regularly drive through the middle of leicester ,(was amazed as i observed a heron fishing by the stream at 9pm on a winter's night by the lights of Hine Gerrick).herron = food, nice stream,and on my birdwatching forrays,i have seen plenty of trouty places,(not telling)

jim
Jim, biking to work along the canal this morning there was a heron right in the center of Leicester on the tarmack towpath. Never see one that close to the center before...they do seem to be getting braver every year, I remember as a kid only ever seeing them from afar now you can nearly walk up to them?
Dee

del

Dave the section of the erewash that runs through my village(toton)is all free all the way into the trent

del

richardw

Trade Member
Skateboard Dave said:
Reeesult!
Caught my first trout of the season from the city centre River Soar in Leicester, on my first attempt...yes. I have only ever managed two others, both last season from about 12 sessions...but plenty of coarse fish.
I don't expect to see any/many other posts of trout coming out, added here, but thought this post may encourage a few others to try, their local waters where trout are only roumoured to exist.
I have only met or heard of one other flyfisher, besides myself, who has taken any trout in the last 5 years from this river, so I am well chuffed despite how I may appear.
They do exist!

Returned alive...obviously, I shall be catching him again.
Dee
Her...

Very nice indeed. Good stuff! The more city rivers that come back to life the better it will be for everyone and everything.
:)
richard

1965nick

Trout in the Erewash

Hi,
Amazing to hear trout caught in Leicester in the Soar - well done. Trout in the Erewash, well I saw a report on BBC East Midlands today about Trout being killed by pollution in Bagthorpe Brook a tributary of the Erewash quite high up. Some Brown Trout were rescued, and looked to be above 1lb in size from the video footage. Has anyone tried fishing the Bagthorpe brook? Anyone fancy a combined outing on the upper Erewash to try and locate trout?
Incidentally does anyone know of any other small streams/ brooks in Nottinghamshire that contain trout?
It would be an interesting diversion to the Derwent this season.

Skateboard Dave

del said:
Dave the section of the erewash that runs through my village(toton)is all free all the way into the trent

del
Cheers Del, great info. I know that area vaguely as I used to bait fish meadow lane on the trent(and Long Eaton) about 25 years ago. It is quite close to me being south Notts so I'll def. go and have a look next time I'm up on the Derwent.
Dee

Skateboard Dave

1965nick said:
Hi,
Has anyone tried fishing the Bagthorpe brook? Anyone fancy a combined outing on the upper Erewash to try and locate trout?
Count me in, if you can, again, find out who owns the rights to the fishing...Wakers of Trowell should be abled to shed some light.
Dee

richardw

Trade Member
del said:

del
Once I had a 29lb carp from that piece of the Trent on the right of your map, just before the last bit that widens. It took four lobs on an upstream touch legered size 2 using a single Newark Leger Pin for the weight...

I know that's a baby today but at the time it was the biggest fish I'd ever seen let alone caught!
:eek:
richard

del

Richard was that just down from the weir in Beeston,just round Clifton bend,i have had a lot of nice chub from that area upto 6lb.

Dee i took a reccy up the erewash section in toton and took a few piccies,now if this place doesnt look trouty then i dont know where does :)

I cant wait till im fit to fish :)

Del

Last edited:

1965nick

Trying to get information on Bagthorpe Brook. The Erewash looks very interesting. As a local angler (Nottingham city centre based) I would be very interested in having a go. Have fish been seen rising? With the current good weather I would have thought large olives might have been hatching, any trout surely would be rising to them. I have seen a historical article online, which talked about the Erewash having been a profilic trout fishery around the Stapleford area, and fishing rights having been a part of a manor house sale in the 19th Century. Does anyone no of any access points to the Erewash further upstream.

richardw

Trade Member
del said:
Richard was that just down from the weir in Beeston,just round Clifton bend,i have had a lot of nice chub from that area upto 6lb.

Dee i took a reccy up the erewash section in toton and took a few piccies,now if this place doesnt look trouty then i dont know where does :)

I cant wait till im fit to fish :)

Del
By Gum that looks grand! Imagine what WGMS could do with it...

The carp was above the weir by a fair bit. It was just downstream of the Attenborough gravels

richard

del

Nick as i walked along there were plenty of fish rising to a hatch of olives around lunchtime,there were flies allover as well as lots of chub and perch,im going to take another look tomorrow this time with my polarised glasses on.

del

del

Ah yes i know where you mean Richard,it used to be a decent place for carp on the river trent.
Yes it would be very interesting to see what he could do with it,as you can see the water quality isnt to bad ,it just need the magic touch ;)

del

Skateboard Dave

Oh yeah...that place looks the job. Just the size of water I like...I can actually cast to the far side:D ! It looks just a tad smaller than the reaches of the Soar where I took my trout at the start of the thread.
If the weather holds out and I can get a few hours off work(and I can!)I may have a short session on Friday. Can't remember being this keen for years!
I must say this post has more then exceeded my expectations, it has deffinately served it's purpose. We seem to have a few keen flyfishers out there, chomping at the bit to try something different, for a change, not just going over the same old well trodden paths...very refreshing. By the looks of that river the worst result will be some out of season dace and chub but "it sure do look trouty", so who knows?
Digi cameras all round! I want to see what comes out when anyone has a bash, and I'll post pics of anything I catch, even if it's an ol' boot.
Then there is this Bagthorpe brook too...
Round Leicester there are lots of small rivers, all great for coarse fish on the fly but you only hear of the odd roumoured trout being taken, and some of the numpties wouldn't know a trout from a tench.
There is the Wreake(north Leics), Sence(Soar), Sence(Anker), Queniborough Brook and Cropstone Brook. I've fished all of these and have heard of trout in them all, some from very reliable sources, plus there are plenty of others in the surounding areas I've never tried. All the mentioned brooks fish well for coarse fish, so trying for a trout shouldn't be too mind numbing, as long as you don't mind a bit of slime.
One excited old skateboarder geezer.

1965nick

I've caught trout in the Sence (Anker), the Gopsall Fly Fisher's stretch is excellent, and now contains Grayling. This river is brilliant about 15 foot wide, and clear. The bad news is it costs around £400 a year to join the syndicate. The River Eye also contains trout neat Stapleford hall, some big trout were caught about 7 years ago, when a syndicate (I was member) ran the stretch. The Quieniborough Brook also contains trout, and has been the subject of a Wild Trout Trust visit I believe. Good luck to anyone trying the Erewash, I might even have a go this afternoon.

Skateboard Dave

Went to the Erewash this morning, about 8am(Friday...'tis late as I post!), at Toton, some park with the river running through it? First time I'd seen this river and I must say I was shocked at the amount and quality of the fish, in a free stretch of water. Unfortunately I didn't see, or catch, any trout but I had a good recky of the area and learnt a lot about the length fished. I spoke to a couple of walkers who both had stories of trout being caught, and eaten though:eek: Well it does flow through some heavy population, shame the numpties think the trout population is impervious to their cullinary efforts...if only they knew how fragile the collonies can be.
I did see plenty of chub, some of them were huge, dace, perch, a surprising amount of barbel and pike to 15lb+. It was an enjoyable few hours out with some out of season fish thrown in. I did, and still do, feel confident that a trout would grab my nymphs at any moment from so many of the swims, every other spot was screaming trout.
Come June the 16th it will be a great coarse fly fishery, I would have loved to have targetted the chub but I just fished any trouty water "blind" with a variety of nymphs as I couldn't spot any. I will be going back very soon then hopefully You'll see my first Erewash trout pictures.
The river though the park is about 3/4 of a mile long, for all this lenght it is split into two separate rivers. The bigger of the two contains most of the fish.
Above the park it is a single river again but much less feature packed than the smaller streams, it was up here that I saw the big pike. It is also a bit industrial looking up here with several land/storm drains entering the flow...didn't smell too good and there were far fewer fish? I went about a mile above the park, just to explore really but I think the best trout chances will be in the park area, they may have all been eaten though(the coarse swims are all pretty well trodden). Would be good to explore further upstream (who owns the rights though?) and the rest of the free length down to the trent, maybe there will be an area further off the beaten track with a few trout lurking?
River sign..underwater obstracles? What?

Underwater obstacles! Plenty of 'em!

Top of the park, better water is flowing off to the left side.

Above the park

Above the park..over a railway...up an enbankment...down...agh, looked great but smelt wrong!

Out of season Dace.

...and a chub...next time a trout.

Anyone else tried?
Dee

Last edited:

splash2

This is a fascinating thread. Though I was dragged all over the country as a kid, I spent my best years in the Long Eaton, Beeston area. Though I dead baited for Pike at Attenborough and drowned a few maggots at Trent Lock & Sawley I never imagined there were rivers like this in the area.

My sister still lives in Chilwell - she could be seeing a lot more of me this summer ;)

Please keep this thread going with regular updates.

Tight lines,

Adrian.
[Long Eaton Grammar School '68 - '73]

Latest posts