River Soar-Middle of Leicester

del

Dee,if i had known you were going on the river today id have shown around.I took a reccy about 1 mile further upstream yesterday ,i didnt see any trout as i had the wrong specs on (needed amber lenses),but did see lots of large chub and barbel.one thing i did see on the smaller section of the split river was what looked like a couple of large rainbows feeding next to a large chub,it wasnt a chub as it was dark ontop and then silver down its flanks,plus i have heard of a rainbow of about 2lb being caught and returned in this stretch by a young lad and his dad,so who knows ??

Del

Skateboard Dave

del said:
Dee,if i had known you were going on the river today id have shown around.I took a reccy about 1 mile further upstream yesterday ,i didnt see any trout as i had the wrong specs on (needed amber lenses),but did see lots of large chub and barbel.one thing i did see on the smaller section of the split river was what looked like a couple of large rainbows feeding next to a large chub,it wasnt a chub as it was dark ontop and then silver down its flanks,plus i have heard of a rainbow of about 2lb being caught and returned in this stretch by a young lad and his dad,so who knows ??

Del
Was actually yesterday(Friday) I was up there...was really late last night when I was typing, past midnight, hence "today", I know it was technically yesterday.
I'll drop you a PM if I'm going back up that way, poss. sometime next week aslong as we don't get a flood.
Dee
I'll accept a rainbow as a trout if I can't catch a brooon.

Last edited:

Skateboard Dave

Queniborough Brook Trout!

1965nick said:
I've caught trout in the Sence (Anker), the Gopsall Fly Fisher's stretch is excellent, and now contains Grayling. This river is brilliant about 15 foot wide, and clear. The bad news is it costs around £400 a year to join the syndicate. The River Eye also contains trout neat Stapleford hall, some big trout were caught about 7 years ago, when a syndicate (I was member) ran the stretch. The Quieniborough Brook also contains trout, and has been the subject of a Wild Trout Trust visit I believe. Good luck to anyone trying the Erewash, I might even have a go this afternoon.
Nick, trout from the Queniborough Brook are now a fact, no longer myth.
Yesterday I got a phone call from one of my fishing partners, he was all excited having just caught a 13" brownie from the QB. He only went there as that morning I'd mentioned to him your quote above, although he has fished it several times over the last couple of years.
Damn, I wanted to beat him to it as it is his local!
Have you fish the Sence downstream of the Gopsall waters?
Dee

richardw

Trade Member
I love the atmosphere of this thread! You've got the nucleus of an entire genre - "Urban River Fly Fishing".

Keep it coming, I know it can be a drag sometimes to write up these trips but they are very inspiring.

If you could get the owners fired up with enthusiasm too, the whole support infrastructure of WTT, EA, Rivers' Trusts, ACA (if needed) could be called on to help.

richard

Skateboard Dave

Tried the Erewash again this morning...nothing but a perch, couple of small chub and dace. Still looking the part despite not seeing any trout. How many barbel in this river!? Come the season I shall be trying for them, so easy to locate.
Anyone have any info. on the fishing, rights/access etc north of Toton? North of Nottingham?
Cleared off to Derwent at Duffield for a couple of hours and had a great short session nymphing the riffles, despite a few fish rising on the glides(small grayling). Even took two grayling of about 1lb each on one cast. First time I've done this with proper sized fish although I've had 3 small grayling on one cast before. A fat brownie of about 1.5lb was the icing on the cake, pink shrimp was my new best pattern for my 3rd trip on the bounce!
Dee

1965nick

Glad to hear the Queniborough Brook has thrown up a nice fish, I'm sure there is a syndicate that fishes it, near the village of Queniborough. I've only tried the Sence on the Gopsall fishery, and they five miles of it. There are some access points on the Erewash in Stapleford, a road crosses it, and you can get into the river from there. I'm pretty certain that you can get access from a playing field in Ilkeston. I'll have to go and have a look, although teaching full time, and having a young family is making it hard to at the moment.

willy

Dee
Congratualtions I know how you must feel. I had a similar experience going on 15 years ago on a local river to me, though not strickly an urban river it is a coarse fish one. This is my first time on the forum i am normally a voyer, but I am motivated by your story to give it a go. If your interested i can P.M. you some hot combat tips and lessons learnt about these kind of river trout over the years at the risk of teaching you to suck eggs etc.

3lbgrayling

welcome to the forum willy.it's good how dee's posts have stirred /woken up a lot of feeling for our urban rivers ,which seem to be doing better than i could ever have concieved 10 yrs ago.power to your rods,
i might even get to join you for a bit of combat fishing.here's hoping.

jim

del

Im going to have another crack on the erewash today,i know there are trout in there i just got to find them.If anyone else is fishing the erewash 2day dont forget to say hi(i`ll be wearing my badge :) )

del

Skateboard Dave

1965nick said:
Glad to hear the Queniborough Brook has thrown up a nice fish, I'm sure there is a syndicate that fishes it, near the village of Queniborough. I've only tried the Sence on the Gopsall fishery, and they five miles of it. There are some access points on the Erewash in Stapleford, a road crosses it, and you can get into the river from there. I'm pretty certain that you can get access from a playing field in Ilkeston. I'll have to go and have a look, although teaching full time, and having a young family is making it hard to at the moment.
Hi Nick, thanks for the access info...that is the easy bit!
Do you know if we can just pile up and fish these areas though?
If a yes, then I'll try this week as I've a few days spare although I'm supposed to be doing a feature somewhere in Bristol...no deff. plans yet though.
Ilkeston sounds more promising, a good few miles further upstream.
Dee

wcb

Dave you should come down a little farther south and fish my local canals/etc.

45 min from bristol and as you have seen from the pic's big fish.

WCB:)

Skateboard Dave

wcb said:
Dave you should come down a little farther south and fish my local canals/etc.

45 min from bristol and as you have seen from the pic's big fish.

WCB:)
They want trout . I'd much rather be catching coarse or salty fish (and trout) but not trout only...that is just perverse. You don't eat only cheese(great as it is) so don't only catch trout.
...and it needs to closer to a major city, not 45mins away!
I will get down and try for them on my own though.
Dee

del

Had a couple of hours prospecting for trout on the erewash yesterday,further upstream from toton.Unfortuantly no trout to be had or seen ,i had plenty of chub and the odd roach rise to my black knat but no trout,i kept moving further upstream trying to leave the chub and roach alone but there were so many i stopped fishing and sat and watched,i saw a fair few barbel from a few inches long to rather large fish of about 3/4 lb,a kingfisher was busy flying up and down this long stright stretch along with a heron who was feeding well on the small fish that were everywhere.Its a pity that i havnt found any trout yet but i know they are in there somwhere so ill keep on trying.
I shall definatly be fishing this stretch on the fly when the season starts for the large chub and barbel :)

Del

Skateboard Dave

willy said:
Dee
Congratualtions I know how you must feel. I had a similar experience going on 15 years ago on a local river to me, though not strickly an urban river it is a coarse fish one. This is my first time on the forum i am normally a voyer, but I am motivated by your story to give it a go. If your interested i can P.M. you some hot combat tips and lessons learnt about these kind of river trout over the years at the risk of teaching you to suck eggs etc.
Hi Willy, can't imagine there being too many trout in the brooks out Peterborough way. You've got it even harder than us.
What brooks do you know of trout existing in your area. I've fished the little Welland a few times, I'm sure the odd trout must crop up in this.
Dee

1965nick

Sorry to hear no trout yet caught in the Erewash, yet is so encouraging to hear of a very healthy fish population. From research, the Erewash has formed part of a quite a few research projects on pollution, and a range of pullution related issues, with a lots of artciles in arnge of Scientific journals. The Erewash in Stapleford runs through an area used by the public for dog walking etc, so I would say just turn up and fish. If it turns out to be private, and meet angry landowners I would adopy my usual apologetic approach, and hope to be given leave. The playing field at Ilkeston looks easy, I wouldn't think anyone owns the fishing, controls it or even cars about it. I'm going past the Bagthorpe brook tomorrow, so I will have a look. From my O/S map it runs along public roads in many places.
The upper Welland does hold trout, the Wild Trout Trust was offering a days guided fishing on the Welland and Gwash, with a guide price of £300 in their auction this year. The Glen also holds trout, although small.
Keep the information and news coming in, I hope to fish soon. Will let you know when.
Nick

lochinloch

Skateboard Dave said:
Hi Willy, can't imagine there being too many trout in the brooks out Peterborough way. You've got it even harder than us.
What brooks do you know of trout existing in your area. I've fished the little Welland a few times, I'm sure the odd trout must crop up in this.
Dee
This is a good thread....

Dee I hope Willy posts a photo of the trout he caught on Sunday night, he pm'd the picture to me, i couldn't believe it;)

Colin

1965nick

Hi,
this trout sounds interesting, what river did it come from?
Been to the Bagthorpe brook this morning, unable to see much, still raining, and water becoming coloured from the rainfall. Will go back, when the weather improves.
Keep posting!

Skateboard Dave

Queniborough Brook

Had a quick session(2hrs) on the Queniborough brook today, just north of Leics. from East Goscote heading upstream. Well I'm not so sure it is the QB as just past the main road in E Goscote it splits into two brooks, looking upstream the right side one is the QB the left side(one I fished) has no name on any maps I've seen?
Whatever it is called, it was here that my mate had a brown, a few days back, so I was in the right area.
It is a very small brook often only 5 or 6 feet wide with little flow but with regular deeper holes and wider pools. The water was nice and clear, despite a bit of rain over the last 48 hrs and the weed was at a fishable level...most swims will be choked in a couple of months.
I never saw any trout, but the light was pretty awkward for fish spotting, you could only see the fish when you were almost on top of them in most spots. I had about a dozen small chub and a couple of dace to a little gold head spider but I think next time I may just fish a dry olive with a deer hair wing, as a few olives were about and it is all so shallow, the fish will come up.
About 3/4 of a mile upstream it goes under a main road, here was much troutier looking, bit more flow, clean gravel bottom(lots of it has) but I wasn't sure who owns the right here...fished it anyway!
Shall be back for sure, was a nice little brook even for just some small chub on a light rod...the trout will come.
Dee

DITCHDANGLER

Coarse fish on the fly

Be careful friend! we are still in the closed season for coarse fish, accidental catches are viewed with suspicion, but to actually state that they are your quarry! is begging to have ones collar felt:eek:
Alan