River Soar-Middle of Leicester

Skateboard Dave

Grayling in leicester!!!!

Latest instalment in the Leicester rivers saga...yesterday I had a grayling (out of season but a grayling!).
I'm not saying which river/spot it was from but it was one of the rivers/brooks I've posted about fishing on this thread.
I was trying for a brownie, casting blind upstream into any riffles when it took a simple PT nymph on the point. I didn't get a brownie didn't really care.:D
Bakerlite from the forum was with me and took some photo evidence.
Will post it up soon...not big at 6-7oz but a GRAYLING!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
If you're wondering what the fuss is about? There are no grayling in these rivers?
Dee

taggarc

Excellent Dave. Looking forward to the photos. If you keep this I might be inspired to give it a go myself instead of travelling to Derbyshire!

Tag

Chris the Fish

i was going to head out to jubilee tomorrow am, however the wife got wind of a spare slot in the diary and has me doing something else now.

arse.

will get out soon mind!!

1965nick

Grayling capture

I've been waiting for reports of Grayling from the Soar and the brooks at it's upper reaches for quite some time. I've always been led to believe that the upper Soar had a stock of grayling and brown trout especially the area which was or is controlled by Hinckley AA, well at least thats what my old copies of Where to Fish say. Still well done Dave, on a very exciting capture!
Will you be first to catch a trout on the fly from the Erewash, when you come up for a talk to our members on May 18th.

Hear about from Skateboard Dave, and his fly fishing exploits @ 18th May at 7-30pm at the Red Lion, Sandiacre.

http://rivererewashrestorationproject.blogspot.com/

Skateboard Dave

Grayling pics

At last...sorry for the delay.
Pic of the grayling I had a few weeks back. It looks much smaller than I remember at the time:whistle: Well I was in shock, that's my excuse anyway.
Yes, this is a tiddler, that isn't why it is up here though.

and one with my cheesy grin...

One day another, maybe?
Dee

Skateboard Dave

2nd grayling!

Had a call from a mate last night to tell me he'd caught a grayling from the same area as mine came from.
His fell to a small red tag dry...classic grayling fishing in Leicester.:D:eek::D
He also thinks he had a bigger one come off.
Things are looking good.
Dee

sheepy

Nearly open season so looking forward to getting the dries out and hitting those quick taking silvers. Maybe even a trout or grayling :D

sheepy

Well its open season on all our little fishy friends so Chris and I will be on the Soar this weekend. Report and photos to follow.........

Skateboard Dave

First, Last and Always...trout!

Fishing on the Soar/Biam in Leicester yesterday with bakerlit79 from on here I had my first Brownie for a while from this venue.:D:D:D:D:D:D
It was one of the most enjoyable i've had as it was the only one I've ever sighted and knew 100% it was a trout and then managed to catch it, usually they come out of the blue "blind". I've only ever spotted one other and that was in a completely unfishable spot and when I say unfishable it WAS unfishable, I regularly winkle fish out of silly places.
This one had me trembling like a leaf, the thought of blowing such a great chance had my legs barely able to hold me up. Half a dozen fly changes in 20 minutes and he was mine though. I litterally slithered into the swim, just sat down and slid down 7/8 feet of steep bank, to release him without taking him out of the water.
No pic. as both Peter and myself forgot cameras and the smallest one I've had at 5 to 6oz but you've all seen my previous Leicester brownies.
The rest of the fishing was pretty good too; dozen nice dace on klinks, half dozen small chub on nymphs, a couple of 3lb chub on nymphs and a couple of nice perch on big taddies.
In 5 or 6 swims I saw small barbel only 9 or 10 inch long but often 5 or so in a little shoal. Should be fun trying to temp one of those when I can find the right spot on the right day.
Dee

1965nick

Exciting times on the Soar!

:DSome exciting catches out of Leiceser over the last couple of days. Stonking chub well done, I'm sure it gave a good account ofitself on light tackle.
Dave, well done on a trout caught by sight! I wonder how many more will come out?
Now to take myself out on the Erewash sometime this week, will that bring anything?;)

sheepy

We spotted a pair of massive barbell. Biggest must have been getting on for 7lb. Scratching our heads about how to tempt one of those on the fly. However doubt my 2lb tip would have been up for the job anyway.
Gonna need a bigger rod!

chickenfish

We spotted a pair of massive barbell. Biggest must have been getting on for 7lb. Scratching our heads about how to tempt one of those on the fly. However doubt my 2lb tip would have been up for the job anyway.
Gonna need a bigger rod!
Hey Sheepy,

Did you see these on the Soar??

Cheers

Skateboard Dave

Gonna need a bigger rod!
Not wishing to out do you Sheepy, but I saw a group of 6 all in the 7/8lb range.:whistle:
I'd never seen more than 2 together in the river before.
I did try but they were far too spooky probably because 8 or 9 3lb chub were spooked and moving amoungst them...fear does seem to transmitt from fish to fish.
They were between two floating log jams so would have been nigh on impossible to get in, i had a 7ft 4wt rod but stuck on the heaviest tipped i had which was 7lb co-polymer. My plan was to just hold tight letting the rod absorb the lunges, should i have been lucky (or unlucky) enough to hook-up.
I recon I'd either get broken, land it in 30 seconds or shatter my rod...that option didn't deter me from trying...what better way for a rod to go?:eek:
Steve Cullen hooked one from the river a couple of seasons back on similar tackle but didn't hold tight enough. It ploughed through the logs, threading his fly line through the snags and out the other side where his tippet parted.
If you do hook up in a confined space you've gotta be brave, keep the rod angle and don't give any line.
Dee

sheepy

Cool, fantastic looking fish. Figuring out how to get a fly to them is interesting. Im thinking a very heavy nymph of some kind and a desperate cast to try get it under the weed bed the are taking shelter under. Where were you fishing? We were on Ratby Meadows behind police HQ. Guess you were further into town as you mention the Biam. Having an evening trip to jubilee park Whetstone soon to see what we can tempt out from there :)

sheepy

Had a fun afternoon out today at Jubilee Park. Took the daughter with me so targetted the small stuff on the top. Had three Dace and a nice Roach. Lily was dead chuffed and I missed countless takes as the small silvers are so quick. Also lost a decent Chub but not a great surprise as i was fishing very light and it took and went straight into the weeds.
Spotted a montser Chub of about 4lb that was startled out of its hiding place by a Pike of about 6lb. Great to see in a tiny bit of river.