River Soar-Middle of Leicester

johnclyde

Inspired by all your posts on here, and having got a bit of local advice, I went out to Rothley brook today. Having looked at google earth, the pools behind Rothley Court hotel looked great. Got collared by hotel staff on the way down and told I couldn't fish there. I headed further down back toward the village, found a small bridge, seeing chub chomping away on daphnia (i presume), loitering with my rod, within seconds a land rover pulls up and a farmer gives me the 'not on my land you don't' routine. He says he owns it all from the village to the golf course and its strictly no fishing. Anyone out there able to advise me on where to go?

Also has anyone tried the pools on the small brook running near quenibrough, in farmland, near a square pond? It was recommended to me highly by the owner of a fishing shop.

Skateboard Dave

Trout from Rothey Brook

I've not updated or posted on here for an age...
Had a brownie out of Rothey around Thurcaston in March along with some good perch and chub.
No dace, roach in evidence from there though which was strange.
I try to avoid famers...don't hang around in sight and they don't know you are there!
The river is so overgrown that once you are in the water and still anyone could walk by just yards away and not see you. If in doubt hide yourself away. No club has the fishing rights, as far as I know, but the farmers around there all pretty unfriendly but easy to avoid.
No other Leicestershire trout this season but I've only tried a handfull of times...far to busy with work for much fishing.
Had a few out of the River Chater near Stamford though.
Yesterday I fished the Huncote brook(tributary of the Soar) which I've never fished before despite knowing of it for 30 years...always thought it too small.
Armed with my triple 0 weight wand and small taddys it produced 25 fish in 4 hours which was mostly jungle warfare! I never properly cast once just dangled or catapult casts. To be truthful most of my fishing has been this style in the last 2 years...I very rarely cast anymore but catch way more fish!
On Sunday I took 3 or 4 dace, about 10 chub and the same number of perch.
The biggest fish only around a pound but every one felt big on the ultra light rod.
Best of all though was the fact I don't think anyone had fished the length in the last 20 years....don't overlook the tiny brooks...true wild fishing and right on my doorstep. That was only 4/5 miles from my home.
If I get time I may do a proper report as I took a few pics.
Dee

Skateboard Dave

I've had them on dries(PT klinkhammer) but mostly on smallish bead head nymphs(HE bead head with a partridge hackle).
I had one from Rothley Brook on a big ollive taddy though when going for perch...works as well as anything. I friend has had a couple on taddys...if that is what you fish then it stands to reason you'll eventually have a trout on one.
You've got to fish a fly that works for the coarse fish but that trout will have a chew on too, if you are lucky enough to stumble upon one. To just fish for the trout would be too mindnumbing...they are few and far between.
I've had them out of the Soar, Biam, Sence, Queniborough brook and Rothley brook.
They'll also be in the Wreake but I don't fish that often...once for pike in the last 4/5 years. The Thurmaston brook will also throw one up soon enough....watch this space.
Dee

brucefly

Dee i have been thinking about having a trip to rothley brook and was wondering if you had any tips or spots that produced better?

1965nick

Dee is that the Thumraston brook in Leicester LE4? It does look likely for trout, good luck there.
The Eye neat Stapleford Hall near Melton is worth a try. It did throw up some brownies in the 4 to 5lb mark a few years ago. When I used to fish it through a small syndicate which was run by Dr Elgood. It would be worth trying for the chub and roach there. Had my first 2lb roach from there. Lots of deep pools linked by shallow streamy bits.

Skateboard Dave

Hi Nick.
Yeah LE4 sounds about right. No trout from it but it is so good for everything else that I couldn't care less.
I'll have to check out the Eye...probably be next year though as I don't like unknown venues in winter...too easy to "dry net".
Any info on access, free parts etc and I'll do a spot of google map hunting.
Cheers.
Dee

Skateboard Dave

Dee i have been thinking about having a trip to rothley brook and was wondering if you had any tips or spots that produced better?
It is pretty patchy fishing but find the right swim and it is good but lots of barren swims. Mink are a big problem on it and access is limited due to farmer hassles.
the area behind the Wheatsheaf at Tharcaston can produce but I tried it in summer and it was almost fishless but further down yeilded a handfull of good chub & perch.
The football field area in Ansty used to be good too but I've not fished it in years.
The fishing isn't easy on any of it but I've always managed 3 or 4 fish but these have often all came from just one "hole". Get it slightly wrong and you'll blank especially at this time of year.
Yours
Dee

Theo

Trade Member
Dave, nice to see you back on here ;)

Quick question: did you ever get any grayling out of the main canalised Soar? I was walking the middle stretch above the Biam confluence with one of the local EA lads earlier this year... pretty sure we both saw a grayling in amongst the other little silver fish just below the surface of the canal, but we were on a mission and didn't have time to put a fly over it to find out...

Definitely understand why you went with the triple-ought weight - I would too.

Theo

Skateboard Dave

Hi Theo.
I just had the one out of the Biam but have heard of them coming out as far up the Soar as jubilee park in Narborough.
I've heard of about a dozen confirmed grayling from the Biam but only the one on fly...mine.:rolleyes:
I was sure I saw one in the Thurmaston brook a couple of months back...wishful thinking?
Yours
Dee

stevetheteacher

I used to fish the soar further upstream at Sutton Bonnington- my favourite session was when I had a 6lb pike, 1lb perch and 5lb trout all on surface lures on a hot summer evening. Apparently there are/were some trout farms even further upstream and naturally some escape and some will survive.
I then started using trout deadbaits on the same section and the pike I caught were much bigger than on any other deadbaits.

burnie

Sorry this is a bit late reply,new to the forum and reading through the old posts.I originate from Leicester and fished the Soar from Narborough down to the Abbey Park,through the 1950's/'60's/70's and 80's.The "straights" as the city centre river was called was a very good coarse fishing water when the hot water used to come out from the old coal fired power station.Once that ceased,the river was barely fished,and anglers moved off to the Fens and the then cleaning ,Trent.
I lived close to the upper river fishing the likes of "Flash Farm" down through the Narborough Bogs to Aylestone.Trout only started to appear in the late '70's having been stocked from Huncote down to Whetstone.The river authority tried an experimental stocking at "Jubilee Park" in the early '80's,but the local kids found out and eat most of them.
Barbel were then introduced to the upper river soon after.
I never heard of Grayling in the river system,though the Bime always seemed to be cleaner,even in the early '60's one of the few places to get a Dace back then.

Skateboard Dave

OMG.
Just got back from the most unbelievable session of my life!!!!:thumbs:
Myself and Peter (bakerlight on here) fished an upstream tributary of the Soar and had 12 (yes twelve!!!!) brownies and lost at least another 10 in just under 2 hrs fishing.
My head was spinning from this as in the last 10 years of trying I've only managed 7 or 8 in total!
On a high I sugested we go and try an upsteam section of the soar that I've not fished for maybe 10 years.
First fish from here was another brownie to me.;)
Peter joined me and had a lovely brownie of around a pound from the head of the pool. It was just getting surreal...someoe tell me I wasn't dreaming.
That was the only time I've had a brownie (to fly) from the actual Soar itself and we'd just had 2 from one spot!!!:eek:
A little later I added another then caught one that looked like Peter's from the original pool.:whistle:
I'm now sitting here with my head spinning...I had 9 brownies(plus a handfull of chub, perch, dace and a solitary roach)and Peter 7...total 16 trout.
My old total for the Soar system about 7 ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I need to sit down...or just wake up because my head is fully done in.
Dee(pics to follow)

Trugg

Hi Dave

Sounds amazing :thumbs: probably down to water quality alone but the focus should be on protecting what you've got first. Maybe check/create other spawning opps(might be able to help Aug/Sept) just small patches will be what there searching for, obviously they've already got somewhere ideal. I'd quiet things down and contact Paul Gaskill off this forum for a start. Glad to help if I can so don't hesitate :)

Mick

1965nick

Congratulations Dave on an amazing catch! Looking forward to seeing the photos.
This surely is testament to the water quality, and no doubt to your approach to fishing.

Skateboard Dave

I've had 2 more short(ish) sessions on this Soar tributary now and my trout total in 3 trips is now 18.
Three times what I've had in the last 10 years combined!:eek:
No longer do I have to make the treck into Derbyshire for my fix of wild brook trout. :D
Dee

Latest posts