River Soar-Middle of Leicester

Skateboard Dave

It's all gone a bit silly.
I spend years trying to get the odd one and now I've been spoilt rotten.
Last night saw myself and Peter catch & release over 20 brownies in just over an hour!
I had 16 with probably 10 of them approaching a pound in weight...amaizing fishing...the best trout fishing I've ever had and within 10miles of home on a little brook we'd never tried before.:eek:mg:
In total I had 21 brownies during the afternoon/evening.
That just smashed my, unbelievable, old record...I thought nowhere could beat the brook we discovered a few weeks back. This one made it look very poor in comparison and that one blew me away at the time.
This whole thread now seem some how pointless...was about how rare trout in Leicestershire are but you just have to find them and there are loads.
I know where but don't even bother asking. This is my payoff for 10 years of searching.:D
Dee

wardy_uk

It's all gone a bit silly.
I spend years trying to get the odd one and now I've been spoilt rotten.
Last night saw myself and Peter catch & release over 20 brownies in just over an hour!
I had 16 with probably 10 of them approaching a pound in weight...amaizing fishing...the best trout fishing I've ever had and within 10miles of home on a little brook we'd never tried before.:eek:mg:
In total I had 21 brownies during the afternoon/evening.
That just smashed my, unbelievable, old record...I thought nowhere could beat the brook we discovered a few weeks back. This one made it look very poor in comparison and that one blew me away at the time.
This whole thread now seem some how pointless...was about how rare trout in Leicestershire are but you just have to find them and there are loads.
I know where but don't even bother asking. This is my payoff for 10 years of searching.:D
Dee
Wow - how jealous!!!:thumbs:

you dont fancy dropping any hints? lol... my search for trout in Leicestershire's rivers has been slightly less than fruitless :s

Although thats maybe as much to do with my inability's as it is to do with there being no fish lol

Skateboard Dave

Hi Wardy.
I really don't want to give anything away as a few people "taking the odd one" and before you know it the breeding head is compromised.
Also the odd careless person and the farmers might take interest...boot us off or decide he wants to eat trout!
I fished one of the brooks as a lad and always used to catch a couple of brownies on my match rod(all returned) along with the usual coarse species. Every time I fished this length it was the same...2 or 3 trout first then coarse fish. Until one week an old chap with a creel came by, bragging about the trout he'd had...in the creel were 5/6 brownies up to about 1.5lb.:mad:
I never caught another from that area again!
I don't think there are that many but they are unfished for and easy.
All I'll say is I've NOT been fishing the river Linn (one that runs through Bradgate Park) as someone thought I had.
That is well know to hold trout but is also a nature reserve and obviously no fishing...where I catch is just regular farm fields and parks and no-where is stocked or private fishing either.
Total brownies from Leicestershire brooks this season is now 66.
Couple more sessions and I could top the ton.:eek:mg:

The biggest came out of the Sence last week at around 1.5lb...I'll give you that detail as it's only my 2nd ever from that river and the fishing was rubbish. I only saw one other fish(8oz chub) which I caught in about 3 miles of river, Peter never had a sniff. Rubbish save for the lone trout.

Must be a dozen or more brooks around here and I've tried almost every field of most of them...still a few more to tick off though.
Feel free to tell me if you find some though. :cool:

Oh yeah, a mates brother had a 6lb rainbow out of jubilee park (soar) a couple of weeks back on bait. I'm waiting to see the pics as I suspect it was a big brown. Either way a crazy rare fish from the Soar.

All the best.
Dee

wardy_uk

Hi Wardy.
I really don't want to give anything away
Damn.. lol.. worth a try though

cant see me fiding anywhere that even comes close to your find.. to be fair, the way I fish, I could be standing a stream packed full of trout and not know it :doh:

Like the sound of the Sence tho - heard a couple of others say they've pulled some sizable trout out, and its my "local" river - am itching to give it a go sometime...

Skateboard Dave

Another session with Peter yesterday took my brownie total for the season up to 77.
That is the total for The Soar and it's tributaries...not the river Linn!
Yesterday I had 11 up to around 12-14 oz and peter managed about half a dozen.
These were from a stretch we'd not tried before but where I was super confident of finding a few...not wrong again. :cool:
I also managed my first on a dry which isn't easy from these waters as there is often no chance of a real cast. I had to proove Peter wrong though as he seemed to think you couldn't catapult cast with a dry. Couple of rises in a widish pool, a catapult or two with a kilnk on the line, small brownie landed and Peter believed. :whistle:
The 100 mark is approching fast.
Dee

Skateboard Dave

Another session today produced 8 more trout so I'm now at 85 brownies for the season.
Odd chub, dace, roach and perch added to the mix but trout were the most common species...weird they never have been in other years.
I fished 2 different brooks and 3 different lengths all produced trout.
One stretch I went to has a "big" deep pool that is a banker for a trout but here I found 2 bait danglers trying their best. They never caught anything but did admit to catching a couple of trout previously which they'd returned alive! Phew, most bait fishermen round here "tap" any trout. Don't want anyone "poaching" my fish.
They didn't catch but 15 minutes after they left I had a brownie from the "pool".
Fly outfishing bait for a change...or my extra skill! :cool:
Fifteen more to go before the magic ton.
Dee

toodle

Dave, this is great stuff. Have recently got into ultralight lure fishing, but never really thought about going down the fly fishing route as well until now. Have got a Soar trib in mind myself after doing some fish spotting last summer. Have actually got a 6ft, 3 wt brook rod. Do you think it would be a bit light for general coarse fish? Was also interested in what flies you'd recommend. have picked up a few patterns reading your posts. However, have you got a "must have" list? Cheers, Ian.

bakelit79

Hi Ian,

I suggest you try your rod and see if you start spooking them fish and maybe later get yourself a longer rod because for what you want to do 6' may well be too short. Obviously it really depends on the situation or more importantly on the season. In the Summer when it is overgrown you can probably do nicely with a 7-8 footer but in the colder months especially once all the leaves fallen you want a proper long stick.

Dave and I do not do a huge amount of proper fly casting, the name of the game on small overgrown waters is slinging and catapulting.

As for the flies if you check one of my post probably under winter chub you will see some suggestions. If I want a selection of only a few must haves for small river nymphing and streamer fishing then the list is:

Most essential is the tadpole. Marabou tail (or anything that has lots of movement) buggy, dubbed body, a bit of a collar picked out as hell and a heavy tungsten head. All on a jig type hook. Typical sizes are hook 14 with 3mm-3.5mm head, 12 with 4-4.5mm head and size 10-8 with 4.5-5.5mm head. Tie up black and hare's ear with gold and dark (black or plain tungsten) heads. Few of each shall do. If you fancy then a few golden olives are also a welcome addition.

Second important fly is the hare's ear spider with tungsten head. Size 16-14-12 with 2.5-4mm head. Grub hook either CDC or partridge hackle and copper ribbed hare's ear dubbed body.

Third fly the pink shrimp, with and without a head. Head is mostly dark, either black or plain tungsten.

Also, sometimes you want flies with metal beads or even beadless with a bit of lead underbody if you are fishing in ultra slow waters.

Pack in few dries (klinkhammers and some sedge patterns shall do in 16-14-12) just in case and you are good to go.

We both carry around 4 boxes with all sort of flies because you never know what you can find in some of those waters but all in all the three patterns above shall cover most of them, even jacks.

If you need any further info just drop us a pm. I have got loads tied up so showing you ideas should only be matter of taking the camera out and upload some pics.

Pete

Skateboard Dave

Hey Ian.
Peter and myself tried your Soar tributary a couple of weeks back.
It looks very trouty. I was surprised how fast and gravely it was...far more so than my usuall Soar tribs. I can't wait to see it in the spring/summer.
The day we went it had litterally just chucked it down.
I headed straight out of the car to check the water which was very clear and almost immediately spotted several shoals of dace and small chub and even a goldfish! The water looked far too fast for it?
After a few mins of fish spotting it was time to get kitted up but once we got back to the brook it was grey! Only a few minutes but the road run off had hit big time...no more fish spotting and a bit of a blow to the confidence.
Anyway we both struggled probably down to the conditions?
Peter managed a few dace from below an outfall then some small perch on a big taddy.
I had nothing!
Eventually a roach took a big taddy just as I'd admitted defeat and decided to join Peter in a perch hunt...jammy old me.:D

I spooked a "pike" from below a weir(ish) which a little later Pete hooked...strange looking "pike" that one!

Working back upstream to the car I at last caught again on the big taddy...dace.

I then had a couple more dace from the outflow where Pete had caught earlier but this time on small nymphs.
We walked upstream, for ages, to an old weir which looked very good but only had one small chub from anywhere upstream of the "houses".
I can't wait to walk it once it is clear just to see where the fish hold up.
Deff. worth a try mate.
Dee

leehanson89

1st post!

This thread has me itching all over! sat here at work looking at the sun outside....

I had 2 brownies out from near mill on the Soar in nov and well havent picked up my match gear ever since. IM HOOKED ON SOAR TROUT!!!

have now had 6 from that stretch one of which went just shy of 2lb. The rest were all around the 1lb mark all on various drys. (pics to follow)

What an unbelieveable fishery!

To anyone whos interested or knows anything - The river Anker????

had 2 from there now....

Skateboard Dave

Hi Lee.
Glad to hear someone else has found a few don't be too free with the exact locations though.:eek:
I'm sure I'll know every swim that you've caught from as I know every inch of the Soar from source to Leicester!
One brook I fished has been "killed" by a couple of school boys in a just a couple of sessions.:eek:mg:
They had been into a local tackle shop bragging about brown trout they'd been taking (a dozen a time on worms) from one of "my" venues. The tackle shop owner did give them a hard time for killing the trout but the damage had already been done.
That particular location yeilded nearly 20 trout the 1st time Pete and myself tried it but since we heard they'd been there we've only had about half a dozen in total in nearly as many tries!
The eccology is just too fragile to take any around here that is. In more prolific trout areas I'm sure limited harvesting isn't such an issue.
Last season I ended with 103 from Soar tribs.
This year I'm already way past 60 mostly thanks to a new tributary I've discovered north of Leicester which is superb...12, 19 & 14 in the 3 last attempts. On the last try there I had 12 of the 14 on spiders off the top with fish to nearly a pound.
Gotta keep this one quiet too as a worm fisher or two would soon empty it.
I've been checking out the Anker for some time via the good old google maps but haven't yet ventured out that way.
If you want to chat more exact locations then PM me.
All the best.
Dee

Skateboard Dave

Time I added a few pics of the Soar brownies as there are some weird coloured, big headed wild fish in there...enjoy.

That is probably the yellowest trowt I've ever seen in my life.
Check out how narrow the water behind me is.
Dee

---------- Post added at 01:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:54 PM ----------

Spotty one or two.
Pete and I both hooked up at the same time in the same swim so had to get a pic of two together.

Skateboard Dave

Lee may recognize the rocks in the background of this shot...that swim always produces one or two plus a chub or dace too.

This one looks like a tiger trout...

They breed, true wild fish...

This picture was taken from a bridge just downstream but a taddy lowered into the hole just by the bridge weiled an unexpectedly large trout (1lb +)!

How many anglers would have tried that spot?
This is it from the road...

looks like a ditch at best!

Skateboard Dave

Few more trout pics...
One for Peter, he gets his fair share and returns them despite being an "Eastern European".:eek:

This was my only one from the Sence last year (Soar tributary not the Sence that joins the Anker/Tame that is a stocked river system)...

Last one isn't from the Soar sysyem but from a tiny Nene tributary...had 4 of this size plus nearly 50 perch, chub and dace in our one and only visit there last autumn/summer. Deff. worth another look!

Dee

Skateboard Dave

I've been lucky enough in the last couple of months to get my hands (flys) on a little private stretch of the river Linn(flows through Bradgate park...everyone knows it holds lots of trout).
My girlfiends mother has met up with a chap who has a short length off the brook flowing in his back garden...visiting inlaws has never been so much fun!
The river here is tiny but with one of the biggest pools in about a mile, a little weir and a bridge all in his 50 yard stretch it had to be worth a few more "Leicester Soar" trout.:cool:
I've spent several hour in the water moving boulders to make it as perfect as poss. for any trout resident to take up lies within his boundaries. Still more work to do but every visit produces one or two fish...really satisfying especially when they come from a swim you only made a week earlier!
One on his lawn!

Just need to get in with a few neighbours and I'll have a couple of hundred yards of private river all to myself.:thumbs:
Dee

Skateboard Dave

These pics are from early April, the brook that has been wiped out by "school boys".
I had just two small browns from an underut just below where Pete is standing...you get a good idea ofthe size of the water from that pic.

The two fish were the only ones we had but I lost one more and saw a couple...we'd have had 20 and seen 30 more previous to the kids taking "one for the pot".:mad:
Dee

Skateboard Dave

Finally a few pics. from the "new" venue I've found north of Leicester.
An absolute banker swim now we've had some rain. Before the rain I could only spook fish from here but with a little flow in it 2 or 3 are expected.

The biggest I've had so far but did get smashed by one of around 3lb...honestly!

Back it goes...

Came from under the scum mat of this log jam...always a good place to lower a gold head.

This is more typical of the stream though...short rod territory.

Down to it's bare bones in spring thankfully a little livelier now.

Buttery coloured, tatty old trout...

nicer conditioned yellow one...

Lots of tiddlers like these which is good to see...

More trout...

God, wish I could get out there today.:(
Dee

FunkyFlyTying

Looks good Dee.
Some fab pictures there.
It goes to show that you should never overlook any streams as they can all hold good fish.

T

Latest posts