River Sow

flytyingcompany

Firstly, please forgive me if there is a thread for this. I have searched every combination and cant find anything.

I am thinking of heading down to the River Sow (Stafford way) and wondered if anyone had any experience with this River. I have had mixed reports on the fish in this River, one person tells me it is devoid of Grayling whilst another states it has a nice head of them. :eek:mg:

Arthur Wellesley

I walk the Sow most mornings, and live on the Penk near the confluence with The Sow. I've never seen or heard of grayling in The Sow. If the water quality made it possible to sustain grayling, I'd think it was the upper reaches towards Fair Oak, rather than towards Stafford.

I'd love to be proved wrong.

Kev

Last edited:

JeffR

What Kev says! It doesn't get fished that much as far as I know, although has some sizeable barbel, chub and roach I've been told. Apart from the free (allegedly) stretch through town I didn't think there was much day ticket fishing on it either. Stafford Izaak Walton did have fishing on some of it below Stafford, but I never indulged when I was a member once, many years back. If these grayling stories are indeed true please share!:D There has been the odd grayling caught from the Penk (again, so I'm told, caught none myself and I have fished a certain stretch of that quite a lot), so its possible they may be present in the Sow, but I wouldn't hold your breath. Unless the EA have put a load in recently as part of some pollution re-stocking or general re-stocking programme, but I have heard nothing on the jungle drums to suggest that.

peanut_head75

Holy thread resurrection Batman!

I'm looking on Google maps for new places to try next year for wbt and the River Sow in Stafford has ticked 2 out of my 3 boxes.

1. Within sensible driving range. Tick
2. Car parking. Tick

what about box no.3 .... the fish? Anything happened since 2012?

bonefishblues

I have nothing to add except to comment that the Sow holds special memories for me having lived close to its banks as a small boy. I still remember the monster perch I saw one day :)

JeffR

I've caught a few small wbt from the penk and a trib that joins it near penkridge.
The Env Agency surveyed the whiston brook earlier this year and few trout were present, including this beaut..

Ow.ly - image uploaded by @EnvAgencyMids (Env Agency Midlands)

That came from Whiston Brook??!! I am staggered, its tiny, I drive over it regularly, and the Penk, whilst rat running through the back lanes to Penkridge. I'm also in a little club that has a few miles of the Penk, unfortunately the stretch that got hit by the fish kill in the summer, not sure how its faring now:(

Still never heard of any grayling from the Sow, although a few reports of odd ones from the Penk at Radford Bank, but not seen or caught any myself.

peanut_head75

Ahh good so it's a go-er then, assuming there's a free / day ticket bit. I know the penk too, I drive down the A5 past the penk at the Gailey Island by the Spread Eagle pub on my way to work. It looks a nice stretch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Arthur Wellesley

Not sure there's a head of game fish present but there's a short stretch of the Sow available on a day ticket at Baswich Farm, owned by a Gladiator no less (Lightening). Close to Brancote, which had a good reputation in its day.

There's a free stretch in town, and a free stretch of the Penk near me below Radford bridge. I'll buy a pint for anybody who catches a game fish from there.

See below good little read for those who grew up fishing Stafford's rivers. It's downloadable as an e-book for £1.49.

Kev

dry socks

Banned
Banned
That came from Whiston Brook??!! I am staggered, its tiny, I drive over it regularly, and the Penk, whilst rat running through the back lanes to Penkridge. I'm also in a little club that has a few miles of the Penk, unfortunately the stretch that got hit by the fish kill in the summer, not sure how its faring now:(

Still never heard of any grayling from the Sow, although a few reports of odd ones from the Penk at Radford Bank, but not seen or caught any myself.

Yes JeffR, I was shocked to see it also as it was posted by the Env Agency on Twitter ealier this year, the trout I've caught from there have been small.
As for grayling I'm not sure but it would be great to see them in the Penk, Sow, and the other streams in that area.

BRUCE1

The Northern Shire of York....within the Kingdom o
What Kev says! It doesn't get fished that much as far as I know, although has some sizeable barbel, chub and roach I've been told. Apart from the free (allegedly) stretch through town I didn't think there was much day ticket fishing on it either. Stafford Izaak Walton did have fishing on some of it below Stafford, but I never indulged when I was a member once, many years back. If these grayling stories are indeed true please share!:D There has been the odd grayling caught from the Penk (again, so I'm told, caught none myself and I have fished a certain stretch of that quite a lot), so its possible they may be present in the Sow, but I wouldn't hold your breath. Unless the EA have put a load in recently as part of some pollution re-stocking or general re-stocking programme, but I have heard nothing on the jungle drums to suggest that.

Only just seen this ,I am working on the new rail junction at Norton Bridge near Little Bridgeford ,and wondered if there was anything in it ,we have put new bridges over it and diverted a little of the river ,it does look a nice little river Jeff ,ideas on who what where and how ??

JeffR

Howdy Bruce, that's not far from me. To be honest I have never actually fished the Sow, although I am in Fenton anglers which has a short stretch at Little Bridgeford. I think most of the Sow is in private ownership, not really much interest from clubs, with a few exceptions. Gary (Fishcake) used to fish the Fenton bit some years back and had a bit of fun on it, usual small river fare. Drop me a pm.... ;-)

avon rise

As kids living in Stone we use to fish the stretch at Norton Bridge many years ago, it was full of chub, dace and a few brown trout. I also remember catching a Grayling in Gayton brook near Weston, mind you it was over 35 years ago!

avon rise

Thread resurrection.
I took my mum to Morrisons in Stone last weekend and the Scotch Brook runs straight through the car park. There were mayfly coming off the water and three greedy BT having a feast! I could only catch Bullheads in there when I was after Trout.

Latest posts