River Taff, Cardiff

pwebs

Has anyone fished this river lately and if so were there any catches.

garethl

Pro Member
Sorry Pwebs, I don't fish the lower stretches of the Taff, although I do fish higher up on the Brecon/Merthyr/Troedyrhiw stretches.

If you ever fancy fishing a little higher-up, give me a shout.

Hope you get the info you need.

All the best.

Mike N

Is the river recovering from the Welsh Water spill? How far downstream was ultimately affected? What about restocking?

Anyone fished it lately?

M

diawl bach

Hi Mike, I've fished it a bit recently, currently it's in flood and highly coloured, visibility down to a couple of inches. It had a good flush (an appropriate term for the Taff unfortunately) several weeks back and no ill effects noticeable in the Cardiff area.

The Saturday before last I Czech nymphed it and had a good mixed bag of chub grayling and trout, all under a pound on a very bright sunny day in very low water.

Fished it as the river was rising and coloured at the end of last week, had a couple of trout and grayling, all about three quarters of a pound + a few smaller ones in about two hours. Nothing amazing.

The larger grayling may be more switched on after this flood clears, I'll be trying for a salmon when it drops a bit, tomorrow or Wednesday probably.

I'm generally fishing Taff's Well and Radyr but the grayling fishing is very good below Blackweir at the moment, - it's just a bit too busy with passers by in the day, try a very early start.

Taff season with Glam Anglers & co. still only £30, includes some outstanding barbel fishing , plus roach, chub, dace, mullet and carp below Blackweir, the best mixed fishery that I know. Try fishing free lined bread flake there one day, it's a kind of lottery!

lap

hello diawl bach

i am interested in fishing the taff - does the Glam Anglers & co. £30 season ticket include trout fishing at Taff's Well and Radyr too?

cheers
mark

diawl bach

That's the coarse Taff ticket for Glam at £30, Mark, available from Gary Evans, Whitchurch Road, Cardiff, their game ticket is £100.00.

The game fishing ticket's just about worth it but I left it out this year,as I'm spending far too much on club tickets. Every spate makes me wish I'd bought it......
http://www.glamorgananglersclub.org.uk/memform.htm

Glam waters end at Radyr, I'm in another club for Taff's Well. Glam Anglers definitely have the best fishing, that's the one I'd go for.

diawl bach

I should add that the coarse ticket at £30 is only available at Gary Evans and entitles you to fish for grayling and coarse fish only up to Radyr. It's a joint venture by Birchgrove, Glam and Bute,who all have rights along the Taff.

lap

ah, £100 makes it a lot more expensive! if you don't mind me asking, how much is the taffs well season ticket and who is it with

Mr edd

Taff

Hi Folks.

The Taff course ticket reads on the back . ( All course licences cover fishing
for all course fish, grayling and non-migratory trout )

I have one infront of me :D

Regards.

edd.

diawl bach

edd. said:
Hi Folks.

The Taff course ticket reads on the back . ( All course licences cover fishing
for all course fish, grayling and non-migratory trout )

I have one infront of me :D

Regards.

edd.

Thanks for pointing that out edd.

Tried for a salmon upstream of the Glam stretch on Thursday. The river rose a foot in two hours. Ever conscious of the likelihood of a wheelie bin to be flying downstream ( a local phenomenon ) and with the water approaching the speed of light I packed up early.

guest23

This is starting to look quite interesting, I have seen quite a few fishing Blackweir and above, this may be the solution for me,grayling and whatever else until the season starts again next year.

One question, is it fishable over the winter with all that rain water floooding down to the Bay?

Its a bit ironic that I used to live within walking distance of the Taff and could only tempt eels out of its black waters, now it is clean, I live in Carmarthen and intend to revisit its waters.

Such is life! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Bill :)

lap

i walked down the taff this morning - around bute park, and in a 10 min walk i must have seen over 300 plastic bottles floating down, enough planks of wood to build a good sized house, at least a dozen footballs and 5 car tyres - quite a collection

guest23

Perhaps not so interesting now :(

unless you are trying to keep me and others away :D

lap said:
i walked down the taff this morning - around bute park, and in a 10 min walk i must have seen over 300 plastic bottles floating down, enough planks of wood to build a good sized house, at least a dozen footballs and 5 car tyres
Or are they the remains of long gone rafts from the "Taff-Tiki" raft races, I did one once during my "studies" anyone remember them??

Last edited:

lap

give it a couple of days and it will be clear again - we had a lot of rain last night

sewinbasher

springwell said:
Perhaps not so interesting now :(

unless you are trying to keep me and others away :D

Or are they the remains of long gone rafts from the "Taff-Tiki" raft races, I did one once during my "studies" anyone remember them??

I won the Taff Tiki in 1969!! Those were the days when if you fell in the Taff you went straight to A&E.

diawl bach

I remember the Taff Tiki races, great fun but abandoned due to a competitor contracting Weil's disease, what a delightful river it is! There was an anthrax outbreak earlier in the year just above Taffs Well...........Naturally it all heads into the all singing, all dancing Cardiff Bay lagoon which hides that nasty mud which used to make up the estuary bed, much loved by the wading birds , now long gone,but that's progress.

Despite all the crap the river still fishes well for non migratory fish right through the year and the grayling fishing is worth the drive up from Carmarthen,and probably quicker (though less picturesque) than the drive to Caersws.

Above, the Taff with The Garth in the backgound, lovely, but turn 180 degrees from this spot and the view couldn't be more of a contrast. The Taff valley has been ruined by the cheapest and nastiest developments. As Charles, Prince of Wales might say, it really is appalling - but then he doesn't fish the Taff much!

Last edited:

guest21

sewinbasher said:
......... if you fell in the Taff you went straight to A&E.
You didn't need to be able to swim - just go through the motions! Boom Boom! :D

tonyj

Glamorgan Anglers

And their ticket also allows you to fish a couple of stretches of the Wye and a short stretch of the Usk at Chainbridge.

diawl bach

Glam also own a good stretch of the Ely, an under rated gem. Features occasional fish kills courtesy of none other than the Royal Mint itself, a quality polluter.

Some lost grayling turning up (not belly up) there now via the Bay lagoon.