River Taff, Cardiff

sewinbasher

diawl bach said:
I remember the Taff Tiki races, great fun but abandoned due to a competitor contracting Weil's disease, what a delightful river it is! There was an anthrax outbreak earlier in the year just above Taffs Well...........Naturally it all heads into the all singing, all dancing Cardiff Bay lagoon which hides that nasty mud which used to make up the estuary bed, much loved by the wading birds , now long gone,but that's progress.

Despite all the crap the river still fishes well for non migratory fish right through the year and the grayling fishing is worth the drive up from Carmarthen,and probably quicker (though less picturesque) than the drive to Caersws.

Above, the Taff with The Garth in the backgound, lovely, but turn 180 degrees from this spot and the view couldn't be more of a contrast. The Taff valley has been ruined by the cheapest and nastiest developments. As Charles, Prince of Wales might say, it really is appalling - but then he doesn't fish the Taff much!

The other local river well worth a look but if anything even less scenic than this view of the Taff is the Ebbw. I fished behind the supermarket at Risca a couple of years ago and was amazed by the amount of fly life and the quantity and quality of fish between the shopping trollies.

I took about a dozen really beautiful fit browns to around 16" using a NZ dropper rig in an hour or so. If you had caught the same fish on the Itchen you would have been delighted.

Last edited:

diawl bach

The Taff's really on form and running clear after the flood. Very fast and deep, fished the last hour before sunset this evening and had a bite most casts and bumped off several fish before losing my whole cast and braided loop to a big fish, a real drag on several levels.

After some pratting around tackling up again had a couple of small grayling in slack water then fished an upstream lob into the main run which was a good six feet deep and had a couple of grayling of about a pound which took line in the fast current. Wished I'd got out earlier but an industrial grade hangover and the recent introduction of a rather militant regime chez nous put the mockers on that.

Should be very good fishing for the next day or two if the rain holds off.

darkuser80

bugger, the secrets out

I've been fishing the Taff, the Rhymney and the Ebbw for a few years now. the stretch I fish on the Taff ( or did as I recently moved away) was by taffs well and morganstown, access to this beautiful river is difficult as they have done everything they can to obstruct access, once you get into it it can be dicey to say the least. Down by morganstown the garden center on the way into radyr as tickets for a beat from the m4 bridge upto the turnoff for taffs well ( there is an old stone bridge that defines the start of an excellent stretch . I have pulled nice trout and lovely grayling out of there, and have even lost what was either an amazing rainbow or was a fresh salmon or sewin. After a bit of a flood with the water quite high at dusk fishes incredibly well for sea trout too.

The Rhymney is bloody excellent for quality grayling and really good chub.

and lastly the ebbw. I fish this down from tredegar arms to the roundabout by then entrance to the park in newport. A surprisingly good trout water, dry fly fishes really well in summer, with silvery brownies and rainbows and golden brown wild brownies. there is a pool by the iron bridge int he old golf course that always holds good trout and you may be lucky if you catch it right to see the small schoolie sea trout forming up in the deep water here prior to running further up. I have taken early in the season a 2.5lb brownie from the sretch further up by the wier in tredegar on a gold head red tag fished deep. A suprising and oftern overlooked river , I have never seen anyone other than a few kids fishing here. I have also fished after dark and caughthuge eels and early morning where I must have been tired cause I hallucinated and either saw a 5lb sea trout or a small salmon passing under the section by the m4 bridge ( another great pool but really difficult to get to .

these are not the prettiest rivers I agree, with the piles of crap adorning the banks and the plastic flapping in the trees and the constant drone of traffic. But they are trying and we have no one to blame but ourselves if we let these rivers get like this.

diawl bach

Struggled a bit the last couple of trips and only managed to foul hook a dace this evening.

Two other anglers who'd fished through the day reckoned that the river had switched off at around 2pm after fishing well all morning.

Water level's pretty low for November and very clear, hoping for a bit of rain, not for the first time this year.

guest21

diawl bach said:
and the recent introduction of a rather militant regime chez nous put the mockers on that.

[/IMG]
How is grayling fishing from a kayak? Missed you at the Fly Fair and the Dee at the weekend - it just wasn't the same!

:D

diawl bach

Lighthouse said:
How is grayling fishing from a kayak? Missed you at the Fly Fair and the Dee at the weekend - it just wasn't the same!

:D
Thanks for reminding me.
It was the kayak or a new cooker I'm afraid Paul.....didn't think for a moment that the Fly Fair would cause any additional distress. How wrong can you be?
Man or mouse you may say. Pass the cheese!

Grayling fishing from the kayak could be interesting - I don't have a paddle yet - but the true Taff grayling aficionado would always choose the wheely bin as the vessel of choice, they just merge with the surroundings!

Mike N

Fished the Taff today near to caerphilly.

River is down and fishing well - caught a few grayling - LDR'd a couple of bigger ones and carefully released two medium brownies that had no business being in the heavy current where I hooked them. Pink and brown cz's were the name of the game.

Mike

Last edited:

diawl bach

From the looks of the weather reports and the condition of the river today (unfishable) I'd guess that the Taff's out of order until Wednesday next. Disappointing to say the least.

Mike N

Well, given the weather, it doesnt look like I'll get to fish the Taff again before I head back to Cambridge. Shame. Maybe if I had a 10 weight with 3 oz of weight on the point...

Mike

diawl bach

You're right there Mike. After even more heavy rain I doubt whether the Taff will be any good before next weekend, sorry you missed the last of your winter fishing .

Mike N

Went and looked at the river today in a fit of hopeful insanity. A definite no go for at least 3-4 days.

M

Teifi-Terrorist

The Taff has been fishing very well over the last month or so, with some terrific sport being provided by the browns. The Grayling are now well mended, and are taking readily - just a few days to go before their season is opened. Here are a few shots from a past few trips:

A nice chub on the fly

Some 'nearly' in season grayling:

The Taff:

Great to see the Taff back in fine form, long may it continue.

TT.

Pricey

what part did you catch that big brownie ????? i fish the river taff (treharris erea) and its fishing its tits off at the moment.

Teifi-Terrorist

Pricey said:
what part did you catch that big brownie ????? i fish the river taff (treharris erea) and its fishing its tits off at the moment.
Hi Pricey, it was caught not too far from Cardiff (it went 60cm, 24 inches). Plenty of good fish around at the moment, which is great to see. Some amazing hatches too.

TT.

garethl

Pro Member
I think pretty much all of the Taff has been fishing well lately; every outing over the past month has seen me landing, on average, a dozen fish! Hope this standard of fishing continues! :)

Mike N

Managed to get out on saturday evening - just a little upstream from your last pic methinks Teifl.

Anyway, I timed it just right between the rain. River was up and coloured but not unfishable. I was nymphing when I first got onto the river with some success. But suddenly, one of the most prolific fly hatches I have ever seen began. Lots of very small, very light coloured flies (?) and then an absolute torrent of olives of some sort or other. Even saw some big mayfly. Took a while for the bite to turn on, but then it was amazing fishing for about an hour until it was too dark to see my fly.

I'm really glad to see the Taff on such good form.

Mike