River Taff, Cardiff

garrynic

Thanks for the replies Guys
I surely wont be giving up yet.
I used to fish a fair few still water fisheries with great success, but the prices they charge now opposed to the price of a river season ticket I cant really justify it.
I fish a single nymph or a single dry fly on a 12 foot tapered leader, upstream and also across and down.
Maybe with my non existent experience I am not fishing the river at the right times, as I don't have a clue as to when to go river fishing at the best times.
Cheers
Garry

j j

If you still want to keep you hand in Stillwaters go to Ynsyfro. I think that's how it is spelt?

It was a great fishery when I was staying down there, Newport area and 2 mid sized lakes to fish. I did become a member that meant it was £8 per day with 8 or maybe 6 fish on each lake per day. It's a while ago now and memory fades...

JJ

dave b

Gary April can be a difficult month brilliant or dire. because we've had no rain all the rivers are difficult, just read the Brown Trout on the Rivers thread
http://www.flyfishing.co.uk/trout-grayling-fishing/353875-new-2017-brown-trout-rivers-thread.html

If you only have a 9ft 5# rod cut your 12ft leader back by around 4ft where it starts to thicken up and add a tippet ring. add 2 ft of 0.14 and tie on a buoyant sedge pattern, I use these.

Tie on another length of 0.14 about 4ft onto the bend of the hook and then tie a 2.5mm or 3mm beaded tungsten nymph on the end, (hares ear or pheasant tail are perfect).

You're now geared up for klink and dink.

Find the fast pacey runs towards the the heads of pools. You're looking for depth/dark water in the edges/ crease/ or steady boily water.

The below picture from the Avon highlights the foam lines and areas to target and search

Always start at the bottom of the run and then work your way up by casting two or three times and then move 1-2 yds. Get into a rhythm of cast, cast, cast, move. By covering the water methodically by fan casting searching the likely areas you'll have searched effectively. The green arrow is the fly dry fly water, however don't ignore a dry fly in the areas highlighted in red or between the red lanes.

Note on this picture some of the water is actually a little shallow to fish when it's low but the foam lines and dark water show what you should be looking for on any river. When a river is low and clear and the fish aren't showing to dries this is the type of water to target, yet you'll find all too many fly fishers simply ignore it preferring to stick with dries and chase shadows all day

Last edited:

JeffR

As has been said, its not easy on any rivers at the moment with the low water levels and mixed temperatures. I am still fishing the duo mainly on our local rivers (Staffs/Derbys) and even though I scraped into double figures at the weekend, I tried 3 different short beats on the Dove and Churnet and I only had 2 fish to the dry, the rest of the action, including lost fish, was on the nymph. Same the last couple of weeks. Also its the faster, deeper runs where the fish have been, rather than the open, thin water, so its worth methodically trying every likely looking holding spot and run/food lane. The dry + nymph combo will certainly mean you're covering more options than a single fly at the moment, unless a hatch does prompt a spell of surface sport and scream dry fly. It will also increase your chances of actually seeing the takes on the nymph (assuming you haven't been using an indicator when fishing single nymph).

The only bit of the Taff I have fished is as mentioned above, below Radyr weir when I was trotting for grayling, but it included some nice looking runs for fly fishing and I've been advised its a good stretch generally. Plus if all else fails, pulling a big nymph or lure of some sort around the weirpool may produce some action.

garrynic

Hi Guys
With the rain we have had recently, would you say tomorrow would not be a good day to try and fish the Taff?
Please keep all the helpful tips coming my way as its much appreciated.
Cheers

j j

nash. The problem is that if anyone posts positive messages about the Taff and where is doing well it gets the bejesus poached out of it. Just pop down, look at the levels and watch for a couple of hours and if you see rises or movement then get yer gear on and get in. Keep an eye on the riverlevels website too.

JJ

diawl bach

Had a quick dekko at the Taff off Ynys bridge yesterday evening en route to Fagins, quite low still but coloured, the top end will be spot on today if the forecast rain's not too heavy.

nash

nash. The problem is that if anyone posts positive messages about the Taff and where is doing well it gets the bejesus poached out of it. Just pop down, look at the levels and watch for a couple of hours and if you see rises or movement then get yer gear on and get in. Keep an eye on the riverlevels website too.

JJ

I did John !

icejohn

What would a good day be numbers wise on the taff? Because frankly I find it hard fishing. Am mostly on 4 fish a trip on average.

danielp

Which stretches are you fishing John?

I have caught between 0-100+ on many many days on the Taff.

It can be very hard and sometimes it can be ludicrously easy.

icejohn

After anything that sodding eats a fly. Like that taff but hard to read and the likely spots don't hold fish. Fishing the lower section. But some thing beautiful about the river that keeps dragging me back. Even if it's to catch the latest shopping trolley!

diawl bach

You should be okay to get a few grayling on the lower stretches, the last time I looked over Ynys Bridge there were a fair few rising

nathan1990

First year fishing rivers. So not sure how it works I've bought a season ticket this year for the ospreys. Does this cover me for the grayling during the winter or do I have to buy an extra ticket? Thanks

garrynic

First year fishing rivers. So not sure how it works I've bought a season ticket this year for the ospreys. Does this cover me for the grayling during the winter or do I have to buy an extra ticket? Thanks
Hi Mate
I also joined the ospreys this year, and I am fairly certain the permit covers you for winter Grayling.
Also my first season on the river so to speak.
Cheers
Garry