River Taff, Cardiff

garrynic

Hi Guys
Any updates or reports on how the Taff is fishing?
I couldn't fish it last year due to health reasons.
Would love to hear some reports.
Cheers
Garry

nickthomas

Hi Guys
Any updates or reports on how the Taff is fishing?
I couldn't fish it last year due to health reasons.
Would love to hear some reports.
Cheers
Garry
It's been a bit variable of late. A couple of big floods at the back end of last year moved a lot of rocks and gravel about and diverted the flow in some of the good runs with the result that some of the most productive spots are not so reliable as they once were. After a couple of years of relative stability in the fishing, where it was fairly straightforward with prior knowledge to predict where fish would be at a given height and flow, now it's a case of learning the river again. But then, that's what makes it interesting.....

diawl bach

Wales River Levels Map

Just as a benchmark for future reference I thought it was worth recording that with a river height of 0.37m - low for the time of year - at the Upper Boat monitoring station, the Taff was just about perfect yesterday around Pontypridd, safe, easy wading with enough water for the fish to be spread out through the river.

The monitoring station, just south of Pontypridd has Pont Glan-Bad, the Welsh for Upper Boat Bridge, on the map.

NRW River Levels Station Monitoring

dkbax

May I just say, I am a total newbie to fishing and started fishing the Taff this season, and it has been most delightful. I fish a few sections of the GAC waters from Sophia Gardens to Radyr and although there was a bit of a learning curve, I recently changed methods and started catching loads of fish. I guess what I am doing is a sort of euro nymphing, and I use a 12 ft telescopic Tenkara rod. I also seem to be able to fool rising trout by lobbing a heavy nymph at them, which I find quite amusing. I usually will catch around 5 fish in a session, more grayling than trout.
Was thinking about heading out for a session this evening but I don’t know how I’ll fair in the slightly higher and muddy water. Any tips?

danielp

The Taff can fish very well with a bit of extra water and colour in it, a good time to connect with a few of the larger trout!

Target any slacks (no matter how small) near the banks and I would normally use some "high contrast" attractor patterns such as an orange tag. Good luck!

diawl bach

Got wadered up and went down the Taff yesterday lunch time, it was chocko. Stewed going back up the hill to the truck, lost cause. No idea it had rained so much, should have looked first.

Only had a 3 wt on me but I've fished falling spates like that and had a few big brown trout while after sewin with one of Ian Finylas's Spate Busters.

dkbax

I tried fishing below Blackweir yesterday evening and deemed it too difficult to wade and gave up after losing some flies. I was indeed using a small nymph with an orange butt and a pink squirmy.
I did cycle up to Quakers Yard today and was impressed. I fished a bit lazily and played around 4 trout before losing them, and landed another. One of the lost ones was a monster and I had him on my nymph for maybe 15 minutes before he popped off, its hard to control big fish with a Tenkara rod in fast waters. Quite impressed with MTA waters for my few trips up there.
I shall be fishing around Cardiff/Llandaff/Radyr tomorrow taking in the sunshine.

dkbax

had 3 trout and a grayling yesterday in Llandaff section in the morning, one of them was a nice 2pounder, which I seldom find in the lower reaches of the Taff. Although I didn’t fish in the evening, I did pass by the river and there was a stupid amount of fly activity! Exciting to see how the season picks up.
Went up to radyr this morning and not a bite! Found a few poachers too and nobody had caught anything. Water is really clear and the predatory birds are out. Hopefully this evening is better with a bit of fly life.

dkbax

694F936D-5D12-4734-B35F-A4F67548179A.jpg

Update:

River is fishing well! Yesterday I had 6 trout and a grayling near Llandaff, using heavy nymphs for faster waters where fish aren't rising, or a white wulff dry, all on a Tenkara rod. Photographed are the best 4 of them!

springwell

I see that the Taf Fechan has taken a hammering in the floods, bank collapses and diverting into a farmers field.

Only fished it once many years ago, let's hope it recovers.

lucky_guliver

What about the fish? Would any left after such a high water? It might sound silly question but I am not an expert in these things.

Another question. I am going to try fly fishing and since Taff is the closest river (I am based in London) I will kick off my learning over there. What sort of tackle do I need to fish on Taff? I would probably focus on stretch from Pontypridd to Merthyr Tydyfil.

diawl bach

What about the fish? Would any left after such a high water? It might sound silly question but I am not an expert in these things.

Another question. I am going to try fly fishing and since Taff is the closest river (I am based in London) I will kick off my learning over there. What sort of tackle do I need to fish on Taff? I would probably focus on stretch from Pontypridd to Merthyr Tydyfil.
A quick "thank you" for my answer to your previous enquiry before firing off two more would have helped.
And it's Merthyr Tydfil, not Tydyfil, Tydfil was a saint in the C5th and although the meaning of Merthyr has gradually developed into martyr it's original sense was a word describing a church built over the relics of a martyr.

Last edited:

garethl

Pro Member

They'll be fine. They've done it since the last ice age, and they'll find somewhere slower to shelter for sure.

Away with work at the moment, but will do op you a message re: gear. PM me so I don't forget :)

garrynic

Your based in London?
And the Taff you say is the closest river to you?
Cheers