River Taff, Cardiff

lucky_guliver

Your based in London?
And the Taff you say is the closest river to you?
Cheers
So far I was chasing trout with a spinning rod and Taff was the closest river that I could find allowing this method. Actually it's a bit of a hassle for me to get there as it takes me 6 h from home to the bank of the river using public transport. Switching to fly should open more rivers closer to me. I hope.

@ Thank you to diawl bach for a history lesson
@ Thank you to garethl PM on its way

Anyone fished the taff as of recent? I havent fished it for about 5 years, I always fish the radyr stretch with GAC but finally I'll be getting back into it now :cool:

nickthomas

Anyone fished the taff as of recent? I havent fished it for about 5 years, I always fish the radyr stretch with GAC but finally I'll be getting back into it now :cool:
I’ve fished it a few times it the latest couple of weeks. It’s running very low and the banks are a lot busier with people out exercising, but it’s fished pretty well for me.

I’ve fished it a few times it the latest couple of weeks. It’s running very low and the banks are a lot busier with people out exercising, but it’s fished pretty well for me.
Yeah its looking low, and im not surprised its busy with people, might give the late evenings ago 👌

dkbax

Hi guys!

I've been out around Cardiff beats and fishing has generally been quite good, especially sub-surface. There are a lot of people walking the banks and as of recent a good number of swimmers too.
I've had a bit of dry fly action here and there but often when I settle into a pool of rising fish they aren't interested in anything that's in my fly box. I've coaxed a few to take either a white wulff or a brown klink.
Something else worth noting is that the river structure has changed significantly since last year, which is especially obvious given how low the water has been for the last month. I knew of a few good trout lies in llandaff and radyr that no longer exist / hold fish.
FIshing has been challenging but well worth the time, especially in the current climate. Hope to see some of you out there!

Hi guys!

I've been out around Cardiff beats and fishing has generally been quite good, especially sub-surface. There are a lot of people walking the banks and as of recent a good number of swimmers too.
I've had a bit of dry fly action here and there but often when I settle into a pool of rising fish they aren't interested in anything that's in my fly box. I've coaxed a few to take either a white wulff or a brown klink.
Something else worth noting is that the river structure has changed significantly since last year, which is especially obvious given how low the water has been for the last month. I knew of a few good trout lies in llandaff and radyr that no longer exist / hold fish.
FIshing has been challenging but well worth the time, especially in the current climate. Hope to see some of you out there!
Hi thanks for the info. I haven’t fished for 5 years so haven’t been on the taff for 5 years but I’m now just waiting for my permit with GAC to come in the post and I’ll be back so looking forward to learning the river and seeing what works and what doesn’t

McBad

Had a go last night on the stretch between Radyr beach and Radyr weir with various dry flies, nothing that the fish liked the look of though! Didn't see many fish rising either. However, whilst walking back up past the cricket club saw another angler bring a very nice fish to the net, so they are definitely there and they can be caught! Will keep trying. :)

Had a go last night on the stretch between Radyr beach and Radyr weir with various dry flies, nothing that the fish liked the look of though! Didn't see many fish rising either. However, whilst walking back up past the cricket club saw another angler bring a very nice fish to the net, so they are definitely there and they can be caught! Will keep trying. :)
I was out last Thursday from about 5:30am til 1ish and a couple hours this afternoon but nothing at all.

McBad

No joy here either, although i missed a take from a nice trout just at Radyr station last Tuesday evening. That was to a dry black spidery thing, when the water was still low and clear.

Went for a walk on the Thursday evening -that was when the water was dirty and falling after the flood pulse overnight. Met one angler at 'Radyr beach' who was euro nymphing and claimed to have caught a couple earlier in the afternoon, no reason to doubt him. (Also, that morning, spoke to a guy spinning about half way between the weir and the M4, he'd had nothing from the high brown water.)

Will have another go during this week.

McBad

How are folks doing on the Taff at the moment?

I had one nice fish to a grey and white thing about size 16 fished dry last night, between Radyr station and Radyr beach. Huge fly hatch about 9.30pm but not sure which of the many fly types the fish were really taking. Water still a little coloured and a little high.

Lots of swift, swallow and later bat activity, but highlight of the evening was realising I'd entered the water directly opposite a kingfisher's nest hole. Had several good views of them during the earlier part of the evening.