River Taff, Cardiff

Teifi-Terrorist

Taff still fishing well, with some big grayling and decent trout on the cards. The river is holding at a nice level, and the temperature is holding quite cool for the time of year. Some decent hatches still appearing, with some massive olives making a sporadic appearance - not sure what they are, brook dunns, perhaps?

Couple of shots from about a week ago:

TT.

M

MarkH

Nice photos and cracking fish as usual Steff.

Do you reckon those are cormorant marks on both fish?

Teifi-Terrorist

cormorants...

Hey Mark,

thanks for the comments. Unfortunately around 90% of the larger grayling (40cm+) that are caught on the Taff have these marks, and I would have to say that they are indefinitely cormorant marks :(

However, on a positive note I rarely see cormorants on either the Taff or the Rhymney anymore, or certainly not to the level that they use to be present. This has also reflected on the fish, where the 25-35cm grayling rarely have any wounds nowadays, and long may that continue. Seem to be a lot more mink around though.

Here's another one from the same day, which was around the same size (45cm), and exhibited the same damage:

Tight-lines.

Steff.

Mike N

pipes leaking into taff

Went and looked at the taff today at the upstream end of treforest. river looked alright. current looks a bit strong but its clear enough.

However, I was very dissapointed by something I saw today. The footbridge that goes across the river (by fabric world) has some pipes that run along side it. one of these has burst and the muppets have 'repaired it' by wrapping it with cloth. *Whatever* is running through it is under pressure, so every couple of seconds a jet of steaming stink comes out from under the cloth and goes straight into the river. I videoed it on my phone and was all set to raise hell with the EA about it. (D bach is this the same pipe you were referring to in an earlier post? because if so, you will be glad to know that it STILL is not repaired). :rolleyes:

As luck would have it, I decided not to fish the Taff today because it was running a bit fast and I was feeling lazy, so I drove over to the Rhymney in hopes of more leisurely wading water. Who should I bump into but an EA official doing water quality tests? I informed him of the problem, he phoned it in and came back with promises that they would look at it first thing tommorow (saturday). Sooo hopefully it will get sorted.

I'm not sure I trust them though. Could I ask that one of you who is local and fishes this area more regularly than me have a look sometime in the near future and see if the pipe is still leaking? Its on the upstream side of the bridge, about midway across. You won't be able to miss it if it is not repaired because the escaping steam is quite noisy. the stuff coming out stinks, so I'm pretty sure its not supposed to be going straight into the river. I will take it upon myself to start raising more formal complaints if it doesn't get fixed.

I'll be fishing the taff tommorow mid- morning into early afternoon if any of you forum members want to join me. PM me and I'll tell you where. ;)

<M

Daniel

Hi Mike, took a look over at that spot this morning. I can confirm there is still somehing leaking from the pipe and entering the water:mad:

Have you fished the taff recently?

Daniel

Mike N

Daniel said:
Hi Mike, took a look over at that spot this morning. I can confirm there is still somehing leaking from the pipe and entering the water:mad:

Have you fished the taff recently?

Daniel
GRRRR! I'm certain what's leaking from that pipe is not supposed to be leaking from that pipe if you know what I mean.

I've already called in a complaint about the rhymney this week. the EA are going to think I'm some kind of meddling american a-hole. (which I am). oh well. I've found out from speaking with the EA this week that when you see a rusty orange colour staining the river bed where a drain pipe empties into a river that this is 'discharge' coming out of an old mine and is not *always* harmful. errrr ok.

I have fished the taff recently. On saturday - a little downstream from where the leak in question is. I'm sad to say I blanked! I just could not even buy a strike all day and I even went and got lunch and came back and fished for 2 extra hours because I was determined not to get skunked. I did 'long distance release' one small grayling, so at least I did have one on for a minute. But that was the ONLY strike I had all day and I tried everything in my box. :confused: The water levels were a bit higher than I am used to, but it was clear enough. I saw a couple of rising grayling and got 1-2 'refusal' rises from them on a tiny olive comparadun but otherwise the river seemed devoid of fish.

I'm sure someone else will come on and tell me that they had the best day of fishing ever in that same spot on the same day. ;)

M

Mr edd

taff

Hi Folks.

Not fished alot latley due to a move.

Had A ride passed that pipe on sunday, the repair looks like it hasnt had any more work done on it but the was no leak at the time I passed.

Hope to get out soon to have a go at the grayling around that arae.

Some good fish there steff.

Regards.

edd.

Teifi-Terrorist

Monnow swimming team perform perfect 10 in the Taff

With a decent spell of dry weather upon us the Taff is in fine shape, currently running at summer-level. Also, having already had a few cold nights the grayling have started to shoal-up, but not always in the spots that they're expected!

With fine weekend weather forecasted, our beloved 'Dipper' ;) a.k.a Tigermoth decided to come and give the river a bash.

There were sporadic rises from the off, however, we started with the nymphs before the main hatch would come into fruition - usually around 1pm at this time of the year.

Tigermoth soon got his eye in, and was straight into some Taff grayling, enjoying the exploration of pastures new....avoiding the bicycles and shopping trolleys as he went.

A change of location was made around midday, to assure that we could capitalise on the dry-fly sport, with the olive hatches now in full swing, obviously enjoying the glorious autumnal sunshine.

A couple of ‘pots’ were explored on the way, with a couple of nice trout and some further grayling coming to hand. Upon arriving at the glide the fish were well on the fin, and rising readily. A quick switch to the dry-fly rod and sport was instantaneous with Tigermoth getting straight into the action; well, nearly straight away - after giving one grayling a long-term toothache ;)

Tigermoth once again displaying his uncanny talent of getting the lady to expose her fin!

A couple for me:

The first few fish taken on the dries were on a sombre little pattern, quite apt for the emerging olives. However, Tigermoth was not content on this little number, and wanted to tempt the ladies with a bit of pink - well, actually, a lot of pink! I have never such a monstrosity cast before a grayling, what was even worse and painfully demoralising was to see the grayling take it with vigour :eek: leaving Tigermoth with a wry smile and nonchalantly stating, "I told you so" :rolleyes: how quickly one can lose respect for a species/person!

The Pink monstrosity 'in-flight'.

However, call it some form of justice, but justice did prevail. Soon after this photo was taken Dipper/Tigermoth decided to test the water temperature, head first!! I was very sympathetic, and did not laugh once! It must have been a terrible ordeal! :D

Hope you had a good day mate, even with the impromptu swim at the end.

TT.

tonyj

Teifi-Terrorist said:
However, call it some form of justice, but justice did prevail. Soon after this photo was taken Dipper/Tigermoth decided to test the water temperature, head first!! I was very sympathetic, and did not laugh once! It must have been a terrible ordeal! :D

Hope you had a good day mate, even with the impromptu swim at the end.

TT.
I'm guessing the locals threw him in when they saw that rugby shirt? Good to know that falling into the Taff isn't fatal these days too.

Very nice fish btw.

DAZ

Nice pics Steff.

A bit disappointed I couldn't meet up with you both on Sunday,but I needed to earn some brownie points and visited the wifes family in Monmouth......Good to hear you both had a great day.

I'm also disapointed I missed your stummble!.....I wouldn't have laughed either......I would have p1ssed myself.:D

DAZ.

tigermoth

Cheers Steff, lovely photos... you git:D

A few comments to add... Firstly, what a superb river the Taff is. Loads of character and loads of fish - my idea of quality fishing. I couldn't care less about the odd trolley or the industrial units round and about.

Secondly - as I'm sure many of you on here will know, Steff has a fierce streak of Welsh arrogance running through him: "You fish up through that pool, and I'll follow you" - that old trick eh? How to demoralise your fishing partner... by consistently pulling large fish out of spots where you have had sod all, then to compound it "Jim Bowen/Bullseye" style with an "eeeeeeeh look what you could of won" smile.

So, when it came to fishing dries... Steff offered a lovely sombre little number up, explaining carefully the arcane purpose behind it's design and structure. Clearly a lot of thought and time has gone into developing this pattern. Steff explained solemnly that the selective feeding grayling of the Taff are finicky and discriminating creatures, and so it appeared. With the sombre pattern taking some good fish but being ignored by others. Sooooo out came the pink candy floss number, and "Quelle surprise!" as they say in the Taff valley - the ladies loved it, causing Steff's cheeks to colour up sufficiently to match the tones of this winning fly.

And so we fished on catching, missing, catching, missing cursing and laughing. A fantastic afternoon, spoiled only by the Steff's poor sportsmanship. I thought to make him a present of the succesful pattern (to remind him of his Welsh arrogance - heh heh) - and the fecker pushed me in:eek::eek::eek: You should be ashamed sir!

In the words of Arnie: "I'll be back"

Last edited:

Teifi-Terrorist

After a rather disapointing start on the Rhymney a quick change of location was called for on Saturday. It certainly turned out to be the right move, with the Taff being on its usual form. Great to meet faces new; WCB and faces old; TonyJ, Lighthouse (a.k.a Guru), and Tigermoth.

A couple of shots from the day:

One of the largest fish of the day, smack on 2lbs:

TT.

tonyj

Teifi-Terrorist said:
After a rather disapointing start on the Rhymney a quick change of location was called for on Saturday. It certainly turned out to be the right move, with the Taff being on its usual form. Great to meet faces new; WCB and faces old; TonyJ, Lighthouse (a.k.a Guru), and Tigermoth.

TT.
That last one is a fair old lump, Steffan.

A couple more pics from the same day.

TM with a Taff grayling caught on the dry.

And Steffan on the Rhymney..

wcb

But the falls don't look like that now with all the rain we have ad these last couple of days:D

WCB

Teifi-Terrorist

Taff in autumnal colours...

A couple more shots of fishing on the Taff with Bushy and Kieron from not too long ago:

The river continues to fish well, especially after the last bit of water we've had. Can't wait to get back out there.

TT.

tigermoth

Cranefly said:
Glad you found a more photogenic model that the last ones!
Apparently TT has great difficulty in sourcing photogenic models (myself excluded of course) for his shoots. I understand that a particularly extreme photographic horror is about to be unleashed on the poor, unsuspecting flyfishing community in a forthcoming issue of one of the (normally) quality monthly publications:eek::eek::eek:;)

heh heh heh:D

Teifi-Terrorist

tigermoth said:
Apparently TT has great difficulty in sourcing photogenic models (myself excluded of course) for his shoots. I understand that a particularly extreme photographic horror is about to be unleashed on the poor, unsuspecting flyfishing community in a forthcoming issue of one of the (normally) quality monthly publications:eek::eek::eek:;)

heh heh heh:D
lol! :D he he. Cranefly was an excellent model, very few 'hissy' fits that are synonymous with these high flying models, he held his poses well, and even made the grayling pout!

As a heads up, there should be an article on the Monnow appearing in the January edition of FF&FT - with Cranefly as the model, as I'm sure you've gathered by now!

TT.

tigermoth

Teifi-Terrorist said:
lol! :D he he. Cranefly was an excellent model, very few 'hissy' fits that are synonymous with these high flying models, he held his poses well, and even made the grayling pout!
Pouting is one thing but what the punters really want to see is a bit of erectile action;)