River Tees

pikecatcher

There would be loads more salmon if the useless ea did something about the barrage. But let's give them more time, 20 years just isn't enough!

ellis350

I have only just started fishing the Middle Tees in the last 6 weeks after joining Stockton "A" section and have gone from blanking the first couple of times to catching quite a lot using dry flies in the last couple of outings. This is mainly down to other accommodating members generously taking the time to point out the errors of my ways and offering invaluable advice with regards to gear, techniques and water craft. (Darans & Graeme)

Before joining the "A" section I have done quite a lot of lower Tees fishing and in doing so I posted a public Facebook group page called "Big Elbow's River Tees & General Fishing https://www.facebook.com/groups/376120255914285/
I have started posting stuff relating to my fly fishing experiences on the Tees. If any other guys are on here who are on FB place feel free to join the group with a view to sharing or asking for advice from other members including stuff for sale or wanted. I don't want to take anything away from this forum but I don't see why it would harm to have another channel of information relating to fishing the Tees.

ROVER

Trade Member
Hello Ellis

Its Rover here, aka Graeme.

Good to hear that your starting to get your mojo - each time we go out we all learn something new - its just remembering it all then using it in the next similar situation that's the difficult bit! You'll be glad to know that I dried out fully after my impromptu swim on the day I bumped into you.

G

cgaines10

great to read post like this born and lived in stockton in stockton until about 1975 then moved to scotland to work moved about a bit since then
when i left the idea of salmon sea trout running river was unthinkable
but understand they do now
fished leven yarm whorlton up to barney castle in my youth
have seen several references to middle river where would this start and run to
Unfortunately the Tees currently has no chance of being the salmon/sea trout river it should be due to the seals at the barrage. The EA don't want anything to do with it & neither do the canal trust. It's a great shame but it'll never change. There's 4 seals there everyday feasting on the migratory fish.

george387

Fortunate to be on the river as a the first hatch of Yellow Duns I've seen this year made an appearance :thumbs:

Not good when you haven't an imitation to match the hatch :eek:mg: but still managed to winkle a few bigger boys out :thumbs:

darans

Fortunate to be on the river as a the first hatch of Yellow Duns I've seen this year made an appearance :thumbs:
George,
some good looking trout there.

I was on the river Saturday and Sunday. Hatches of BWOs, Yellow Mays, Mayfly, some large olives I didn't recognise and also some Hawthorns. Really good to see such a diverse and healthy hatch of fly on the river.

Saturday was a really good day, fish rising and taking fly confidently. Had a good few fish on Jinglers, some F-Flys and a black spider, fished dry. Also had a couple on nymphs.

Sunday was like a different river. Still lots of fly life and fish rising, but much harder to tempt on the surface. Went through my dry box being driven near-mad by refusals and half-hearted takes. Couple of friends had some good fish on nymphs but it was a strange day.

Daran

george387

I think its been a strange season so far mate the fish are really finicky on all the rivers I fish, cant quite put my finger on it yet, a friend called me this morning as he seen my car parked up but couldn't stop and he was quizzing me if it was just him who had been struggling so far and I have to say No, its been tough so far.:confused:

darans

I think its been a strange season so far mate the fish are really finicky on all the rivers I fish, cant quite put my finger on it yet, a friend called me this morning as he seen my car parked up but couldn't stop and he was quizzing me if it was just him who had been struggling so far and I have to say No, its been tough so far.:confused:
It has been quite up and down. I've had some cracking days with good numbers of quite sizeable trout, and then other days where it has been downright hard going. There seems plenty of fly life about and I've seen some amazing rises, but there have been days when I've struggled to take a fish. I've wondered whether some of the stretches I fish are getting a lot of attention and the fish are becoming wary? I fished a stretch that rarely gets fished a couple of weeks ago and it was a good day. I wonder whether angling pressure is a factor?

Daran

black and silver

Banned
Banned
Has anyone fished the Leven recently, i fished it for first time 2 or 3 weeks ago, never saw a thing, but i was in my stubborn frame of mind and stuck to dry fly, might of being a tad early for this river.

PS cracking fish there George, well done.

Last edited:

george387

It has been quite up and down. I've had some cracking days with good numbers of quite sizeable trout, and then other days where it has been downright hard going. There seems plenty of fly life about and I've seen some amazing rises, but there have been days when I've struggled to take a fish. I've wondered whether some of the stretches I fish are getting a lot of attention and the fish are becoming wary? I fished a stretch that rarely gets fished a couple of weeks ago and it was a good day. I wonder whether angling pressure is a factor?

Daran
I dont think its fully overfishing Darans as I go to stretches on the Ure & Swale which hardly sees an angler for weeks and its the same results there also. I've resigned myself to evening sessions at the moment on some of the rivers due to the level and clarity of the water, like I say I think its been a weird season to date

darans

I've not been out on an evening yet. The sessions I've fished have been during the day and I've noticed the better fishing seems to be getting earlier, not later. Last few times I've been out the hatches and rises have been well under way by 9:30-10:00am and most of the action seems to have died away by 3:00pm. Maybe I should stay a bit later.......

bishthefish

Has anyone fished the Leven recently, i fished it for first time 2 or 3 weeks ago, never saw a thing, but i was in my stubborn frame of mind and stuck to dry fly, might of being a tad early for this river.
I have been down to Hutton Rudby four times so far this year and had: 0, 2, 3, 1 majority on dry flies (I rarely use wets)! Last time I was down (17th May) I must have missed about 15 - 16 takes!

I had a walk along the Tees from Winston to Wycliffe and back last Saturday and the was loads of fly life - Olive upright duns & spinners, yellow may duns, mayfly duns, pale watery duns & spinners (I think?) and yellow sally stoneflies with the odd fish rising here and there.

Last edited:

george387

I've not been out on an evening yet. The sessions I've fished have been during the day and I've noticed the better fishing seems to be getting earlier, not later. Last few times I've been out the hatches and rises have been well under way by 9:30-10:00am and most of the action seems to have died away by 3:00pm. Maybe I should stay a bit later.......
Ive mostly been out 6pm onwards and have to say there hasnt been much movement on the surface until sunday when the yellow may hatch came just after 8.30pm, they went daft for them :thumbs:

black and silver

Banned
Banned
I have been down to Hutton Rudby four times so far this year and had: 0, 2, 3, 1 majority on dry flies (I rarely use wets)! Last time I was down (17th May) I must have missed about 15 - 16 takes!
The one thing i noticed when i was there, there was a few fish rising, which appeared different in some way(couldn't put my finger on why) till later talking to a guy fishing nymph. He'd had no Brownies but had a few Salmon/Sea Trout smolts, as soon as he said that it clicked that what i had seen.

I was fishing a few mile further down from you, will be back in next week or so, hopefully it will of picked up.

bishthefish

The one thing i noticed when i was there, there was a few fish rising, which appeared different in some way(couldn't put my finger on why) till later talking to a guy fishing nymph. He'd had no Brownies but had a few Salmon/Sea Trout smolts, as soon as he said that it clicked that what i had seen.

I was fishing a few mile further down from you, will be back in next week or so, hopefully it will of picked up.
It is nice to see them in the river but they can be a nuisance when you hit a shoal of them as they will attack all sorts of flies relentlessly!

I am hoping to get down to HR at the weekend for a few hours, not been for a fortnight!

ROVER

Trade Member
Hi all

I don't suppose anyone knows how susceptible the lune is to flooding during the rain (tees trib!). Ive never fished it when its been raining but im guessing it might take quite a lot to flood with it being short and fairly high up? The only thing im not sure of is how grassholm affects it in these conditions?

Graeme

george387

Graeme, generally the Lune is OK, I've fished it when the main river has been up a bit, and as the Lune is mostly runoff from the reservoir and because of its short distance the run off from the land doesn't make it too bad. :thumbs:

ROVER

Trade Member
Thanks George

I'll keep it in mind as a backup plan, although looking at the webcam at Piercebridge at the moment, since the tees is very low it might not be affected by a bit of rain - fingers crossed.

graeme

pikecatcher

There is apparently some free fishing at Neasham, the question is, is it fishable with fly, and is it wadeable?

Just looking for an alternative to Broken Scar.......:thumbs:

tacfly

The latest Wear Angling Trust fisheries forum has an interesting EA topic that affects the Tees:

"We now have confirmation that the Agency presentation at this forum will include details of how the Agency are looking to optimise reservoir compensation flows and fish passage on the Tees, Wear and Derwent."

Now this indicates to me that they are planning to let water out of upstream reservoirs as they already do on the Tyne to "compensate flows". On the Tees I'm assuming Cow Green would be a good bet? Anyone know any more on this? I'm quite looking forward to the meeting!