River Tees

Had a bigger one from the same stretch a couple of years ago (also on the dry), know lads who have had bigger whilst spinning.

cgaines10

Hi Guys,

Anyone wet a line on the river this season, had a couple of good sessions with Dry and Nymph, managed a 3lb Brownie on a olive DHE last saturday.

Colin
Quality fish! There’s some big trout in the Tees

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

george387

Hi Guys,

Anyone wet a line on the river this season, had a couple of good sessions with Dry and Nymph, managed a 3lb Brownie on a olive DHE last saturday.

Colin
Nice fish Colin, I was up last weekend but all I could tempt was Grayling & one small trout all on dry fly LDO imitation

Nice fish Colin, I was up last weekend but all I could tempt was Grayling & one small trout all on dry fly LDO imitation
Thanks George, nice to know others are fishing. Very rare I see anyone on the water nowadays.

willb

All I saw was dog walkers, came a bit of a nuisance at times but I wanted to recce some water I haven't fished before. Very rarely do I bump into other anglers.
Fished up near Cotherstone at the weekend, slow going on Saturday but the river was still up a bit. Better on Sunday when it was a bit warmer and reasonable showing of LDOs and March Browns, the latter being taken eagerly. Emerger seemed to work best. Little interest in nymphs/beads or spiders from the trout, though a couple of large out of season grayling took a bead.
Will

george387

I fished sunday past and had a few Grayling on spiders until march brown hatch came on then had fun on dries with the trout, lost a beautiful fish when my hook straightened out :eek:mg: still ended up with a good haul on dries. :thumbs:

stokoe

West Tees bridge and Gainford bridge access
SAL members should note that Durham County Council have recently erected metal fences across the entrances to both West Tees and Gainford bridges, preventing pedestrian access to the Yorkshire bank. The club is in discussion with Durham County Council about this situation.
just seen this on the stockton a.c website does anybody who is also a member suggest the best way to access the yorkshire bank to fish the gainford stretch ?. many thanks.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

cgaines10

West Tees bridge and Gainford bridge access
SAL members should note that Durham County Council have recently erected metal fences across the entrances to both West Tees and Gainford bridges, preventing pedestrian access to the Yorkshire bank. The club is in discussion with Durham County Council about this situation.
just seen this on the stockton a.c website does anybody who is also a member suggest the best way to access the yorkshire bank to fish the gainford stretch ?. many thanks.

The easiest way I’m told is to wade across upstream of Gainford bridge. Stupid decision from the council and now makes it only fishable in low water conditions.

stokoe

The easiest way I’m told is to wade across upstream of Gainford bridge. Stupid decision from the council and now makes it only fishable in low water conditions.

i think i know what part of river you mean but as you have said it would only be possible when the river is at the right height which is not good i fish this stretch quite alot and it is a shame it is going to spoil the fishing on this stretch .

darans

Stoke,
Yes, blocking the bridges at Gainford is a real pain. I've seen people climb over/around, which is dangerous. I'm not really sure I understand what the council is trying to achieve by blocking them off. It means anglers have to either risk climbing the fence or wading across the river.

There are a couple of spots where it is possible to cross when the water level is low. Alternatively, you can drive through Winston, turn towards Barforth and park on the Yorkshire bank. It's a long drive around and parking isn't great. I do worry that this stretch will become less fished if we can't get locked gates on the bridges.

Last edited:

ROVER

Trade Member
I cant think of a time the waters ever been too heavy for me not to be able to cross at the island above gainford and if it were it would probably be too flooded to make trouting worth while i'd have thought.

Less people fishing it a worry??:confused:

cgaines10

Yes, I tried parking at the other side once last year and it was a nightmare.

Hopefully it gets resolved as I can only see membership suffering if it doesn’t. Which would be a shame as it’s a lovely stretch.

I like to fish it when it’s high/just fining down for Salmon.

black and silver

Banned
Banned
I cant think of a time the waters ever been too heavy for me not to be able to cross at the island above gainford and if it were it would probably be too flooded to make trouting worth while i'd have thought.

Less people fishing it a worry??:confused:
Said water fishes brilliantly for browns which rise in the margins with 2ft of extra water, i doubt you'd wanna try wading across in that.

You could always park in Winson and walk down the Yorkshire bank.

shortearedowl

So it seems that the fisherman I saw on Eggleston bridge just after noon today with a good salmon in his net is not aware of the 100% return regulation in effect for 2019? And before someone says did I accost him, no I was in a car with another on my back bumper and in any case it was a bit late as far as the fish was concerned. If anyone knows who has that fishing I'm happy to draw it to the attention of the EA.

cgaines10

So it seems that the fisherman I saw on Eggleston bridge just after noon today with a good salmon in his net is not aware of the 100% return regulation in effect for 2019? And before someone says did I accost him, no I was in a car with another on my back bumper and in any case it was a bit late as far as the fish was concerned. If anyone knows who has that fishing I'm happy to draw it to the attention of the EA.
I’m not sure who has that rights to that section though. I think I heard that a syndicate took it over after bishop let it go.

Last edited:

shortearedowl

Since been advised that the EA's statement in January that 100% C&R was mandatory it's since been downgraded to advisory. Make up your mind, EA decision makers. We're paying you to do a job and communicate!

cgaines10

Well my cars in the garage not too far from the Barrage, so I thought I’d pop over for a look even though it was at low tide.

After a few minutes I spotted fish in the margins and some bow waving up (got it on video but it doesn’t let me post from the app?!)

Then it all went downhill, I sat and watched the seals pick them off one by one. Killing 8 fish in 40 minutes.

Unsustainable!

delray

I'm finally returning to the Tees this coming Monday, the 8th and coming back on the 11th and I'm really really looking forward to it! A pal of mine who dips into the forum from time to time, Pete, is my taxi for a few days and we're staying at the Leekworth(?) camp site, right on the Tees below Middleton. We can fish the site stretch of water but we'll mainly be fishing the Darlington BT waters and probably some Raby Estate water too; I'm hoping I can drag him up to Widdybank to try to hook some lightning fast small BT's, if we have time.
Can't wait!
Del