River Tees

ROVER

Serendipity - The same happened to Daran, he left his rod at the Gainford layby and my mate Iain (Teeser) found it for him a few years back.

teeser

Serendipity - The same happened to Daran, he left his rod at the Gainford layby and my mate Iain (Teeser) found it for him a few years back.
Close but I left it at the layby and posted for help on here and daran found it

darans

You’ve found my secret......,just don’t tell
my missus, she thinks I buy all my fishing rods rather than hanging around lay-bys waiting for anglers to leave them behind.....

druncle

After a few relatively frustrating years regarding size of tees trout landed, had my p.b. brownie on thursday (6th) at around 4pm. Nothing to weigh it with, but a full bodied fish, around 17" head to tail. Upstream greenwells spider fished shallow, between hail showers, with coloured water, during a brief rise. Dbt water near Conni.
After having a couple of mediocre seasons, this was a great confidence booster. I have never lacked an almost obsessive enthusiasm, just wished that would translate to trout in the net!
Fish returned.

bbamboo

After a few relatively frustrating years regarding size of tees trout landed, had my p.b. brownie on thursday (6th) at around 4pm. Nothing to weigh it with, but a full bodied fish, around 17" head to tail. Upstream greenwells spider fished shallow, between hail showers, with coloured water, during a brief rise. Dbt water near Conni.
After having a couple of mediocre seasons, this was a great confidence booster. I have never lacked an almost obsessive enthusiasm, just wished that would translate to trout in the net!
Fish returned.
Well done, nice fish.
Gary DBT.

dunsmuir

Fish returned.
I had a similar trout in April also after a few leaner years and despite considerable effort. Things must be looking up.

It's a shame more people don't post reports on this site much any more, though.

bbamboo

Plenty of grayling about on the Tees at the moment. Trout are a bit more difficult to find may have to change location. Very warm and bright conditions 😉

ROVER

I've found just the opposite where I've been fishing up untill last weekend haven't seen a grayling, just trout.

ashfel

Hi all. Not posted before as I only moved locally at the start of the year. I previously regularly fished the Swale and found it a challenging river at times (even harder to wade than the Tees) so I have been enjoying fly fishing the middle and upper Tees on various stretches when I can.

I've found the most 'fun' fishing is on the Raby stretch above High Force where the trout are small but exciting and numerous when there's an evening rise, and you can wander a few miles upstream casting as you go with no trees or bushes to contend with.

Last Sunday up there in the hills I had six trout averaging around 12 inches, on a mixture of black gnats and nymphs fished New Zealand style.

Personal best on the middle Tees came at the weekend with this lovely brown trout weighed at 1.6lb - cracking fish. I seem to catch less on the middle stretches but when I do they seem to be very good fish and put up a thrilling fight fishing on a cheap but cheerful 8ft #4 rod.

20210725_205907.jpg

bbamboo

Hi all. Not posted before as I only moved locally at the start of the year. I previously regularly fished the Swale and found it a challenging river at times (even harder to wade than the Tees) so I have been enjoying fly fishing the middle and upper Tees on various stretches when I can.

I've found the most 'fun' fishing is on the Raby stretch above High Force where the trout are small but exciting and numerous when there's an evening rise, and you can wander a few miles upstream casting as you go with no trees or bushes to contend with.

Last Sunday up there in the hills I had six trout averaging around 12 inches, on a mixture of black gnats and nymphs fished New Zealand style.

Personal best on the middle Tees came at the weekend with this lovely brown trout weighed at 1.6lb - cracking fish. I seem to catch less on the middle stretches but when I do they seem to be very good fish and put up a thrilling fight fishing on a cheap but cheerful 8ft #4 rod.

View attachment 41721
Good write up,I agree with everything you said. Nice rod by the way 👍

ashfel

Good write up,I agree with everything you said. Nice rod by the way 👍
Thanks! That's my 8ft Shakespeare Sigma. When I moved from reservoirs to rivers a few years ago, second time out on the Swale, I accidentally slipped on a rock and snapped my Hardy Swift Mk2 😬 (That's been brilliantly repaired since by Steve Boncey down in Cornwall). I retrospectively realised a 10'6 #7 probably wasn't right. I bought the Shakespeare for £40! Bargain... And snapped that the very next week 😂 so bought another and doubly vowed to not go on the river with anything expensive... And hey, it catches just the same amount of fish... Since then added a 9ft Greys GR20 which was also cheap as chips and fishes brilliantly 😊 Hope to bump into some of you chaps out there on the Tees!

bbamboo

Thanks! That's my 8ft Shakespeare Sigma. When I moved from reservoirs to rivers a few years ago, second time out on the Swale, I accidentally slipped on a rock and snapped my Hardy Swift Mk2 😬 (That's been brilliantly repaired since by Steve Boncey down in Cornwall). I retrospectively realised a 10'6 #7 probably wasn't right. I bought the Shakespeare for £40! Bargain... And snapped that the very next week 😂 so bought another and doubly vowed to not go on the river with anything expensive... And hey, it catches just the same amount of fish... Since then added a 9ft Greys GR20 which was also cheap as chips and fishes brilliantly 😊 Hope to bump into some of you chaps out there on the T
I have a couple of the sigma range I really like them. Make nice river rods👍

dunsmuir

Thanks! That's my 8ft Shakespeare Sigma. When I moved from reservoirs to rivers a few years ago, second time out on the Swale, I accidentally slipped on a rock and snapped my Hardy Swift Mk2 😬 (That's been brilliantly repaired since by Steve Boncey down in Cornwall). I retrospectively realised a 10'6 #7 probably wasn't right. I bought the Shakespeare for £40! Bargain... And snapped that the very next week 😂 so bought another and doubly vowed to not go on the river with anything expensive... And hey, it catches just the same amount of fish... Since then added a 9ft Greys GR20 which was also cheap as chips and fishes brilliantly 😊 Hope to bump into some of you chaps out there on the Tees!
Yep, the trout certainly don't care how much you do or don't spend on tackle! Out of interest, when it comes to the middle Tees, what time of day have you been catching your trout? I fly fish the river in spring, but then as summer comes along, I tend to leave it for other angling options. But recently I've been wondering if I'm missing out.

ashfel

Yep, the trout certainly don't care how much you do or don't spend on tackle! Out of interest, when it comes to the middle Tees, what time of day have you been catching your trout? I fly fish the river in spring, but then as summer comes along, I tend to leave it for other angling options. But recently I've been wondering if I'm missing out.
I think I've fished pretty much every week since April on various stretches. Even the blazing hot relentless days in the last few weeks, and I've not blanked.

I noticed in the last couple of weeks they've been a bit more spooky but probably due to no cloud cover and bright sun.

I only fish from afternoon into evening, starting around 1pm til dark... Daytime has usually been challenging, picking up here and there under the surface... But every time out and on every stretch there's always been a pretty good evening rise and lots of fish coming up for the dry, whether targeted or just speculating with a drift past a rock or boulder.

Usually 7pm onward is when it's been best for me and its then a couple hours of missing takes, but keeping at least a few on and into the net :)

Averaging around 6 trout per session, never had a grayling.

If it's better than this in the spring / autumn I'll sure be getting the thermals out as its been a cracking summer of fishing on the Tees for me.

Latest posts