River Tees

ashfel

Hi all hope you've enjoyed what looks like the last of the sunshine. I figured it would be foolish to go out last Tuesday when it was 29 degrees, but at least its a nice day out. Lot of people swimming in various parts of the river (middle Tees) and water was so low I could literally walk across a lot of points without getting the ankles wet (in that heat just neoprene socks and wading shoes with shorts on)... so I went on the look out for some deeper hunting grounds and fished some gently flowing pools.
Again, even in that kind of heat and low waters I had a much better than expected day. Rises throughout the afternoon (evening actually wasn't as good as lunchtime). Got into a fine brown trout on the second cast in the blazing sun, fishing small black gnat on the surface.
Then, low and behold after saying I never catch any... I tapped into a shoal of Grayling and spent about 3 hours with them taking a small klinkhammer. Amazing day but a bit sunburnt. Bestish Grayling photo attached.
Tight lines all
20210907_161337.jpg

dunsmuir

I had a day out at Cow Green recently. The trout weren't that accommodating, but I had a few, including one around 1lb, which is good for me up there.

For the first time I saw the remains of lots of signal crayfish amongst the rocks on the shore. I didn't know they'd got up that far, and thought the Tees above High Force remained a white crayfish stronghold. Not so, it would seem.

I wonder what had been eating the signal crayfish? I'd assume otters, though I've never seen one at Cow Green myself. Or could it have been cormorants?

pedros

I think the signal crayfish are a staple of otters on the Tees and everywhere else for that matter. Signal crayfish may be the 'flipside' of the proliferation of otters over the last 10 years.

Latest posts