River Tees

amadeo

hi rover yeah its the free stretch,might hop down tommorow after work weather permitting just hope it hasn't been hammered to much today.

anyone know any good fly only stretches on day ticket?
cheers
ash

davidh

Ash,
Barnard Castle town (free) stretch is lovely fly water. Go late evening at this time of year - recce during the day and watch out for the holes. There are some nice trout and grayling which make it worthwhile. Start at the roadbridge and work down.
BAAC also do day tickets for the stretch further down and I think this is fly only.

Cheers,

D

jamesw

BAAC also do day tickets for the stretch further down and I think this is fly only.

Cheers,

D

I understood from enquiries last year that there were no day tickets below Barney. Can you confirm which stretch of river it is and where to get tickets?

davidh

You used to be able to buy day tickets at the tackle shop (top end of town) which covered the water from the footbridge down.

Could have changed though - it was a few years ago since I last bought a ticket!

The free town stretch is really good water though.

carrds

Day ticket stretch Barnard Castle.

davidh is right day tickets are available for BCAC stretch of 3 miles or so below the town. I fished it once last year infact it was about this time of year and it is a lovely stretch.

The ticket was I think £8.00 and could be purchased as previously stated from the tackle shop in the town- I've forgotten the name, but on the day I fished he was closed and he directed me to the cafe next door.

Turns out this is owned and run by the Chairman? of the club and his sons who all fish and were a fountain of local knowledge. After a decent cuppa I headed off to the stretch they advised and had a great day, lovely surroundings, easy access along the Teesdale Way and the river to myself. Lots of trout and grayling, nothing huge, biggest 11 inches or so, but all in perfect condition.

One note of caution it is horrible to wade in places with big rocks and holes so take care.

EmergingOlive

Salmon are running on the Tees. I know of 7 different fish coming out, one at around 25 pounds, gonna get myself up there :D

smoggy

I was out fishing yesterday and caught one salmon approx 10lbs, and my mate lost one. We saw approximately a dozen salmon whilst on the river, they are there waiting to be caught. Spoke to a guy whilst fishing and he said that he had caught four salmon on Wednesday, the biggest 18lbs.
The river is in fine fettle.

smoggy

The four that were caught by the angler I met, were caught using fly and spinner, the largest fish, the 18lb'er was caught on the fly. I don't know if they were kept or returned.
The fish I caught was hooked on a cascade tied on a size 7 silver cascade and returned.

smoggy

EmergingOlive, how was your fishing, did you catch anything, if so what tell all (or P.M. me).
Which stretch of the Tees do you fish and which club are you in.

amadeo

Hey hows it going? Anyone been out lately?
had a wander down the tees yesterday (the broken scar to blackwell stretch),its much lower than i thought it would be,didnt see any salmon moving.It was nice to be out in the river but it fished fairly poorly.
i had three small grayling in 4 1/2 hrs all taken in quick succession from the same shoal.
heres a few pics sorry their **** quality

ROVER

Trade Member
I fished further up yesterday and had about a dozen grayling, 2 of which were knocking on for 1 1/2lbs, and a trout about 10" - all on a black klink - a pretty decent session all in all. Seems to be a heck of a lot of grayling about at the mo:)

Last edited:

amadeo

nice one rover where abouts where u fishing?i fished the darlington stretch again for an hour this evening had 2 grayling on a black klink and a small brownie on a goldhead hares ear shoulda had more but i kept missing bites.
Im working nights next week so im gonna try the barnard castle stretch at some point any idea what the waters like up there?

amadeo

oh and if its of any interest ive seen quite a few big pike chasing small fish over the last couple of days

ROVER

Trade Member
My favourite bit of the river:D (tip - always check your camera settings after youve loaned it out:mad:)