River Tees

amadeo

Hey riverrat yeah it was me, fair play to u guys for staying out in the snow.
How many did u guys have in the end, any decent ones?
U gotta wonder about how the fish stocks in the river are faring with the rise in predators, its nice to see the growing diversity of wildlife but all the otters, herons, goosanders and cormorants and then kingfishers predating on the fry its all gotta be taking its toll.

Webmonkey i'll be down there tommorow might see ya down there.

riverat

You can fish down to the fence line where the footpath from Blackwell enters the field. Before you get there you will see some obvious croys/groynes (they're getting a bit dilapidated now).

The long, smooth stretch above the shallow, fast water is sometimes packed with grayling up to about a pound.

riverat

Hi Amadeo, as my post suggests we shouldn't have moved. The sport was brisk on that glide, to say the least. I had eight nice fish with as many dropped off. My mate had four to hand and lost a few more. Nowt big - best fish just under the pound, I'd say.

My mate said he had a great day and was well chuffed. It was only his second day trotting and his first with a centerpin. As I said, just a shame we moved!!!

Just goes to prove that "you never know unless you go".

amadeo

hey riverrat glad ya had a good day have u tried trotting with a team of czech nymphs? its something ive been meaning to try.
Anyone know if the free stretch at croft is any good?

riverat

Never fished at Croft. I have heard good things about the free stretch at Barnard Castle but never been there either!

I've not fished the nymph under a float either but I am sure it will work and hear it can be very deadly. When the stop rising I just put my dry flies away and get out the long rod and 'pin. I'm just an old fuddy-duddy I guess!!!

By the way, how have you done with the Tees salmon?

prof1974

I've fished Croft without very much success, but that's like most of my fshing!!

Where's the best place to park the car to get to broken scar?

Cheers Chris

webmonkeyuk

theres a reasonable size car park right at broken scar and its about 100 yards walk to the water, best way to get to it is come along the a66 to the stressholme/blackwell golf course roundabout then its the 3rd turn onto Carmel road south straight up that road to a left turn onto the A67 Coniscliffe Road and its about 1/2 mile up the road on your left, i think its a brown sign saying Picknic area, turn in there and go down to the bottom for the car park :)

webmonkeyuk

Just been down to borken scar this afternoon and the level is still really low, didnt catch out though which im sure its down to my casting skills (only my 3rd attempt at fly fishing) there were some ppl bait fishing but was talking to a chap and he said they werent having any luck. I think im going to have to invest in some tution :rolleyes: not unless some kind person would give me some onsite tips :D

riverat

They're rising!

Been out to Broken Scar today after some late season grayling. Very pleasant indeed but not too succsessful. I only managed six fish to trotted maggot and my mate blanked on fly. I thought we'd have a "beano" to be honest, but tht's the wauy it goes sometimes.

However, at lunch time (noon) quite a few grayling began rising to surface fly. Couldn't see what they were taking but the rise went on for about an hour and then a breeze got up and finished it.

Spring seems just around the corner now...

riverat

Well, that's my Tees grayling fishing done for the season. Last session yesterday at the normally reliable Broken Scar. Very poor results. Three ladies and a nice out of season brownie about 13", plus a couple of salmon parr (nice to see).

I don't know how anyone else has found it this winter on the Tees but the grayling have been patchy for me to say the least! Must say I have found the average size slightly bigger this season with less 'yearlings'. Is this a good sign or a bad omen?

If the river stays in nick I will be out to try for a last couple of chub (breadflake!) early saturday morning to round things off.

riverat

Yellow mays?

Been out today and despite the cold and wind had a good session. Supprised to see several yellow may duns hatching (amongst the grannom and olives). This seems very early to me, I've never seen yellows this early before on the Tees. Has anyone else?

Dazza9t9

Hi all
some good information in this thread.

I am knew to fly fishing (only limited fly fishing in resovoirs), i am going fishing on the Tees in the up and coming weeks, around the barnard castle area.

i am wanted to know what works well,

type of fly, how to fish it?

any information for a beginner would be greatly appricated!!

riverat

Despite what the purists try to say, dry fly is the easiest, most aesthetic and most foolproof method of catching river trout I know. Upstream wet and nymph, to my mind, require greater levels of skill/knowledge etc. as you can't see your fish (in the Tees anyway due to heavy peat staining) and take detection is more problematical. Unless the river is bombing through or it's unseasonably cold stick to dry fly. You may not catch as many as an experienced wetfly man but it's usually reliable for a novice.

Initially, I would to find some smoother water with a medium pace and depth - near the middle of a pool is a good starting point. Don't cast!! Just study the water upstream of your position and search for rising fish - there's nearly always some!

Mark where they are as acurately as you can and attempt to land your fly (single) 2-3 feet upstream of the rise form and try to let it drift down over the fish without any movement from you (retrieve) or the water (drag). You will need to think about all the slack line that builds up as the fly drifts down - so try to keep in touch with it without moving it. If your fly gets taken strike! Easy!! No need to look for subtle indications of a take like with wets or nymhs.

Don't spend too long in one spot, work your way upstream looking for the risers.

AT A PINCH stillwater tackle will catch but better to have something lighter (I like a 9 foot 5 weight) but don't go too light as wind then makes things more unpredictable. I like a double taper line but a weight forward line is OK too. A floater is all you need and the reel is just a container for line on a river, so, if needed save money here. Get a couple of tapered leaders about 4x and tie a small loop in the thin end. You can then tie on 3 foot or so of 21/2 - 3 lb mono loop to loop as a tippet (easy to change and works for me). I like Bayer Perlon from the coarse tackle shop.

No need to get hung up on flies too much - trout are pretty dumb and accomodating fish! Stick to size 16 - 14 to start with. Grey ones, black ones and brown ones will do for starters. Patterns to consider are Klinkhammers (small - some are huge for the quoted size) standard hackled drys and sedges/black gnats etc. etc.

Some floatant and something to dry your fly on (kitchen towel or chamois leather) and you are off playing the worlds greatest game - river dry fly fishing for wild trout!!!

Good luck and let us know how you get on...

Dazza9t9

Thanks riverrat, all that info is great,

i will let you know how i get on after the weekend

newland

high conny

Went for a walk on Friday evening along the river , with the missus , after a visit to the mother in law ! ( I fish the Rye in North Yorks for trout / grayling & South Tyne for salmon / sea trout)..Plenty of fish rising . Grayling ? Really tempted to have a quick cast ,had the rods in the car , but thought better off it as do not know who ' owns ' the water . Any advice pls , as I will be visiting Darlington a lot over next few weeks .

jinkyscat

My sister in law stays just outside of Yarm. Are there any suitable places for Trout fishing near here and if so where can i purchase a day ticket? Also being Scottish how do i go about getting a rod licence?

riverat

You can buy a rod licence from the EA site on the web - or from a post office.

As for places to fish for trout on the Tees, look back in this thread and day tickets plus 'free' water are covered.

Yarm is a little low down the river for trout. However, good stocks of trout (and grayling - out of season now) are found further upstream. Mostly club/association water mind you and day tickets are thin on the ground.

teeser

I think the Morrit arms hotel on the a 66 nr to Rokeby park do day tickets , raby estate water at Gainford and at Middleton in Teesdale probably from the local post office and i may be wrong but Barnard Castle AC do day tickets from the tackle shop in town hope this helps and good luck .

HPRBrownie

The Pool

The Fish