River Tees

york1e

I have only ever fished the free stretch on the Tees at Blackwell. To be honest usually stick with Ure and Swale but once this lock down over, looking to spread my wings a bit and learn about Grayling and Browns on the Tees.

Any feed back welcome

shortcast

there is a lot of fishing to be had on the Tees. the upper stretches are available on a day ticket from the high force shop. Darlington brown trout club have several miles of the river. Campsite in middleton has 800yards of free fishing if you camp there. Or treat yourself to the best guide on the Tees ,Jon Barnes Onstream Guide. He may even let you use his beloved antique Sage 389 lightline. I have used Jon for the last four seasons and he just knows were the fish are.

delray

Wonderful river and part of the country. As above with Jon, you'll catch fish with him.
Check out the Raby Estate ticket; on sale in Middleton and at the High Force kiosk. 10 quid a day I think for miles of brilliant fishing for wild browns and beautiful grayling. The browns don't give themselves up easily, but they are there in numbers, and be aware, the wading is do-able, but can be treacherous.

pedros

Ditto what the others have said in every aspect. Pay special attention to the wading comment!

dave b

If I still lived in the North East I'd join Darlington Brown Trout for their stretches at Middleton Teesdale, Conniscliffe and the association water at Piercebridge. Not to mention their water on the Swale.

A great club offering superb value for money fishing.

darans

Hi, I’ll echo what others have said. For the upper reaches try a Raby ticket, trout are small but very plentiful. Wading can be tricky on the upper Tees and don’t venture up unless conditions are good.

For the middle sections there are a number of clubs, most have access to good water containing trout and Grayling. Apart from Broken Scar there is no other free water and day tickets for the middle section are limited. It’s a moody river, but fish are there and sometimes of a surprising size. Early season can see good hatches of March Brown and large olives. As the summer progresses Mayfly, BWO, yellow May and sedge all appear. You‘ll catch on a variety of methods and fly. Everything from spiders, traditional dries, weighted nymphs and streamers work. Fishing into the late dusk can be productive.

There are a small number of guides working the river, all knowledgable and will put you onto fish.

When able, I fish the Tees a fair bit. If you want advice on ticket availability or clubs, please feel free to pm me.
Daran