River Test

mjo

Hi,
Wife has bought me a day on the Test. Any regulars on here able to best advise what will be working best there? Obviously Daddys, but is there anything specific to the Test and surrounding area?
Many thanks

BobP

By that I assume either Timsbury or Leckford.

Just looked at Leckford's website. There is a Beat 6 which is main river plus carrier. Should be plenty of fish. Check out the website as there is advice for flies to use etc., but it is all standard stuff. No special "secret" flies or patterns specific to that part of the Test.

Last edited:
Reactions: mjo

mjo

By that I assume either Timsbury or Leckford.

Just looked at Leckford's website. There is a Beat 6 which is main river plus carrier. Should be plenty of fish. Check out the website as there is advice for flies to use etc., but it is all standard stuff. No special "secret" flies or patterns specific to that part of the Test.
Cheers - it's Timsbury

BobP

Timsbury is a different animal altogether. I have guided there once about three years ago, and guide quite often on the far bank fishery which is called the Parsonage. Not the easiest beat going, though we've done well there this year and I have one more day to do on the 30th.

It is a big, deep stretch of river and the trout are often not easy to see. Look carefully close to your own bank and under the trees. If Beat 6 includes the carrier this might be your best bet as it will be shallower and easier to spot the fish.

Shrimp patterns, PTN's and GRHE's are top of my list carrying 2.5 - 2.8mm tungstens in order to get down deep enough.

m r roid

I fished beat 6 at Timsbury about this time last year, unfortunately the main river was really high and coloured. The carrier was the better option, and I had a few Grayling on orange shrimps.

mjo

Timsbury is a different animal altogether. I have guided there once about three years ago, and guide quite often on the far bank fishery which is called the Parsonage. Not the easiest beat going, though we've done well there this year and I have one more day to do on the 30th.

It is a big, deep stretch of river and the trout are often not easy to see. Look carefully close to your own bank and under the trees. If Beat 6 includes the carrier this might be your best bet as it will be shallower and easier to spot the fish.

Shrimp patterns, PTN's and GRHE's are top of my list carrying 2.5 - 2.8mm tungstens in order to get down deep enough.
Many thanks. DLL near the bank?

Latest posts