River Ure, Wensleydale

umbra abus

-The River Ure, Wensleydale-

Wensley bridge built 14th century, at the heart of the dale. Masons mark states 1830 (when the arch widening was completed)​
This is a River Update thread designed to equipt the curious Angler with recent information on the condition of the the River Ure.

The River's Source shall be talked about later in this thread, but the Yore comes into its own below Appersett and between the high market town of Hawes.

It continues to flow through Wensleydale and various places that shall be talked about at length later, I'm sure. Until it meets its Northern neighbouring river, the Swale at Myton-on-Swale and Ellenthorpe Lodge. Then the Ure flows with the Swale into the Ouse that passes through York and into the Humber where the Trent also joins. Then through the Humber estury and out to the North Sea. It is over 100 miles from the source of the water to its joining of the Sea

The River Levels shall be included when felt necessary and taken from:Environment Agency - River Levels: Swale, Ure, Nidd and Upper Ouse

Please feel free to ask questions, I shall try to respond promptly.
Thanks for visiting :thumbs:

Last edited:

guest70

Much needed thread! I'll try to contribute when I make my occasional forays to Masham....

M

guest70

I suppose it does no harm for a Lanky lad to come and show you lot how to fish properly from time to time :whistle:

Guest108

Pro Member
Ure above Ripon has been on form of late....... double nymph & spiders fishing very well, spiders taking very high numbers indeed.

I'l post some pics. later on.....

Guest108

Pro Member
Not fished Wensleydale for a while, but here's a few recent pics. of the Ure above Ripon.

Up a tadge with a teeny bit of colour.... fishing well to spiders. Upper beat.

Not big...... but high spirited.

Wee'l have a day this season Matster :thumbs:

Last edited:

umbra abus

Ure is in spate at the moment, Bainbridge Level hit 1m (3.2ft) Environment Agency - River levels station data
(Bainbridge take a low level usually for some reason)
http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homeandleisure/floods/riverlevels/120701.aspx?stationId=8113Thornton Steward 1.13 m at 6.15pm and finally (in my part of the rivers readings)// Masham is just under a Metre, 0.92 Environment Agency - River levels station data Im sure the spate will catch up with the lower part of the dale tonight.

Good to here stillwater is catching fish on the classical spider. Lovley photos, I notice a bit of a beach in the background looks good spot. Beautiful markings on the fish, no red spots...interesting.

I had great fun earlier in the week with a Coachman worked on its own (8 Brown Trout on Tuesday), today a 10"Grayling Czech nymphing OE hydropsyche size10 on point again, (what fantastic imitations:goodcast:): Essential Skills

Off the thread topic but I had an urge to fish Tanfield Lodge today, £14 bargin, surrounding waters are more expensive with Thornton Steward £18 & Leighton £22 I think (both have gone up in recent years "due to stocking costs", but Tanfield has not) Yet I'm sure others know far more about this than I do. P.S I didnt go today although I felt I should, some time soon I must.

Last edited:

Guest108

Pro Member
Ure above Ripon - pleasent wading.

Spiders - I likes em bushy :D.

My club ( Ripon Angling ) does not stock....... notice to all invaders.. ' say hello to my little friend ' .....:whistle::)

eliteflies

Thats a tidy rod and reel, nice photos Fred.

Sam

Not fished Wensleydale for a while, but here's a few recent pics. of the Ure above Ripon.

Up a tadge with a teeny bit of colour.... fishing well to spiders. Upper beat.

Not big...... but high spirited.

Wee'l have a day this season Matster :thumbs:

umbra abus

Yeah I noticed that too Sam and should have said something. The Marksman looks very tasty, what model is that Fred? I prefer Cane and Greenheart personally.

Spiders look good too, I also like mine with enough hackle to last!

That latter fishes marking has some very attractive red spots around the latteral line. Thanks for the pics

Guest108

Pro Member
Yeah I noticed that too Sam and should have said something. The Marksman looks very tasty, what model is that Fred? I prefer Cane and Greenheart personally.

Spiders look good too, I also like mine with enough hackle to last!

That latter fishes marking has some very attractive red spots around the latteral line. Thanks for the pics
10ft 4# mate.

Would expect the Ure to be a right off for tonights session :(.... heavens have opened !. Still i'l have the upper Skell to fall back on...... takes a lot more water to flood that river :thumbs:
You mention Tanfield Lodge..... ( less than 10 mins. from my door )..... my advice, don't fish it when the weathers good and try to avoid weekends - to many rods.

B

Becks and Brown Trout

Do you guys reckon it will run of by tomorrow no more rain permitting. Was planning a trip over ther tomorrow afternoon...How high is the river

Andy

jamesw

Bainbridge Level hit 1m (3.2ft) Environment Agency - River levels station data
(Bainbridge take a low level usually for some reason)
Interesting comment about low level reading at Bainbridge. I usually fish Swale at Catterick - about 0.30 is fairly low and anything up to about 0.50 is fishable there.

Bainbridge seems to run 'normally' at about 0.15 - 0.20. I am planning a day ticket trip up there soon - can you suggest what is the maximum level to save a wasted journey?

guest70

Each gauge station takes their own level datum which doesn't necessarily relate to any absolute levels as such. The key is in the sentence about 'typical river level range'. The lower of these can be taken to be approximately NSL.

Guest108

Pro Member
Do you guys reckon it will run of by tomorrow no more rain permitting. Was planning a trip over ther tomorrow afternoon...How high is the river

Andy
I carn't help you to much Andy........ as i'm lower down. I was fishing last night and catching but it was border line mate, anymore in and game over imo.
I can pop over and check my levels later which may give you a little idea.....?
But right now your on a coin..... no rain, you'l have a little cover colour and fish will be back on..... any rain at all and your most proberbly up shint creek.

B

Becks and Brown Trout

I carn't help you to much Andy........ as i'm lower down. I was fishing last night and catching but it was border line mate, anymore in and game over imo.
I can pop over and check my levels later which may give you a little idea.....?
But right now your on a coin..... no rain, you'l have a little cover colour and fish will be back on..... any rain at all and your most proberbly up shint creek.
Cheers Fred : Tis as I feared :eek:mg: the keeper there is pretty good if you ring him but the bloody river is so fickle its up and down like the proverbial...Will plan to go the Rye or Dove me thinks. Nice spiders btw I have started using them myself this year you will have to give me a lesson.

Andy

Guest108

Pro Member
Thats a tidy rod and reel,

You've gota rough it sometimes mate.......:D;)

---------- Post added at 02:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:57 PM ----------

Cheers Fred : Tis as I feared :eek:mg: the keeper there is pretty good if you ring him but the bloody river is so fickle its up and down like the proverbial...Will plan to go the Rye or Dove me thinks. Nice spiders btw I have started using them myself this year you will have to give me a lesson.

Andy
No worries mate............ it's the same as the Swale, i was fishing the other day........ started ok, little fresh in but taking fish..... a 5 minute lash down ( like quid coins hitting the water )....... and the rest of the day spent fishing in black for one more fish :eek:

Last edited:

guest70

Same dance over this side of the Pennines Fred. Saturday and Tuesday on the Eden, the river has started to come up in the afternoon after smizzle over't fells all day. Not a massive rise, but enough to put a bit too much colour in and send the fish doggo.

I had a mate on on Tuesday (you might know him) and he wanted to fish dry, not interested in the nymphs. Spent all day trying to find him a riser and finally found a big grayling coming up about 4 times a minute. Strides downstream to get him, back we come - 20 mins max - the river has come up 4 inches and put the bloody thing down - cocknobs!

We'll sort something for later on in the summer eh?

M

Guest108

Pro Member
Same dance over this side of the Pennines Fred. Saturday and Tuesday on the Eden, the river has started to come up in the afternoon after smizzle over't fells all day. Not a massive rise, but enough to put a bit too much colour in and send the fish doggo.

I had a mate on on Tuesday (you might know him) and he wanted to fish dry, not interested in the nymphs. Spent all day trying to find him a riser and finally found a big grayling coming up about 4 times a minute. Strides downstream to get him, back we come - 20 mins max - the river has come up 4 inches and put the bloody thing down - cocknobs!

We'll sort something for later on in the summer eh?

M
Defo. Mat, will look forward to fishing with you. Flap caps at dawn ?:eek:

I remember stood in the middle of the Ure as a young lad, glorious day ! clarity clear....... ahh :)! within minutes the colour came in, i turned round, looked up river........... and shat myself when i saw what was heading my way........ never been caught in a flash flood like that before and ended up swimming for my life :eek::eek:...... good times :D:D:D

---------- Post added at 04:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:12 PM ----------

That's it you lot !....... i'm not sitting here any longer....... flood or no flood........ i'm heading over to the ure and i will catch something !!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Latest posts