River Ure, Wensleydale

umbra abus

There is a good bit of rain on the way this weekend george, should bring the bigger fish out finally. It's always poor when its like this with only the smaller fish being obviously active - as you know. Worth a flick just before the rains come, lower pressure always get them biting.

lawrenceh_w

I'm going to be up in Hawes in the middle of October and I'll get a couple of days fishing whilst I'm there. I've been there before and got tickets from HHAAA because I can walk from the cottage we're staying in.

How's the river been fishing this year? What's the river level looking like?

umbra abus

Should be rising a bit tonight but this water won't keep the level up for long, I'll tell you more about the fishing tomorrow. :goodcast::goodcast:

lankylad

Can anyone please advise what the BCAA stretches are like on the Ure namely Aysgarth and Worton Bridge? I've not really had a walk along them to see what type of water features there are and if it is good fly fishing water.

Cheers
Dave

tonyt

Can anyone please advise what the BCAA stretches are like on the Ure namely Aysgarth and Worton Bridge? I've not really had a walk along them to see what type of water features there are and if it is good fly fishing water.

Cheers
Dave
Haven't fished the Aysgarth stretch this year but is generally good fly water.
Worton Bridge I've fished a good few times and is a nice stretch, was there a couple of weeks ago. I've found it fishes better at levels of 0.3m and above, obviously there's a ceiling (don't have my records to hand) this is taken from the Bainbridge station. If there's good levels fishing can be good from the bridge all the way up to the stepping stones. There's a nice glassy glide perfect for the dry just down from the stones currently some good 2lb+ grayling there.

umbra abus

Running from Saturday 8th everyday until Friday 14th. Meeting at the Three Horse Shoes Pub Car Park at 10.30am.There is a Grayling broodstock program commencing tomorrow: https://www.facebook.com/events/730283960339094/730284743672349/?notif_t=like

I am happy to confirm that again this year the Ure Salmon Trust (Ure - Home Page) has been asked to assist the Environment Agencies National Coarse Fish Rearing Unit (Environment Agency - Calverton Fish Farm) at Calverton with their annual restocking program of Grayling across the North Eastern region.

We are keen to have as many participants as possible. If you don't have any plans and fancy a days Grayling fishing over the next few days on some of the Ure's most coveted waters come along.

zeeforel

Hi to you all out here!

I have some questions regarding flyfishing around my holiday location in August. I will be staying in Aysgarth for a week starting the 2nd of August.

At the moment I am primarily looking at the Ure (around Bainbridge or Hawes), but see the Swale as an alternative for fishing max 2 dayparts during the week.

Now I wonder:
+ what is the impact of the weather on these kinds of rivers? What if it has been dry fo some time? What if it has rained a lot?
+ Are there any nearby good alternatives in terms of stocked lakes that are advisable?

Any other tips/info that might be handy?

Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Marcel
The Netherlands

tonyt

Hi Marcel

I'm no expert on the Ure, it is a lovely river to fish especially around Asygarth.
It has a large catchment area so can rise quickly with heavy rain but fishes well with a reasonable amount of water.
Check out the Environment Agency website for the river level at Bainbridge
Environment Agency - River levels station data
From my own observations I've found a level of 0.35m or there abouts is good and fishes well.
This pic is taken at Worton Bridge there are some large rocks below that are normally exposed

Looking upstream from Worton Bridge

This is from Aysgarth footbridge taken just 10minutes before the Worton bridge ones. It's normally clear and shallow here.

We intended to fish the Ure this particular morning but it was too high for wading, so we went to the Wharfe at Buckden.
Hopefully condidtions will be good for you in August so you can fish the lovely Ure.

If not you could always try here, which is not too far away:
http://http://kilnseyfishing.co.uk/

Hopefully others will be along with more local knowledge.

Cheers
Tony

george387

Hi to you all out here!

I have some questions regarding flyfishing around my holiday location in August. I will be staying in Aysgarth for a week starting the 2nd of August.

At the moment I am primarily looking at the Ure (around Bainbridge or Hawes), but see the Swale as an alternative for fishing max 2 dayparts during the week.

Now I wonder:
+ what is the impact of the weather on these kinds of rivers? What if it has been dry fo some time? What if it has rained a lot?
+ Are there any nearby good alternatives in terms of stocked lakes that are advisable?

Any other tips/info that might be handy?

Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Marcel
The Netherlands
Hi Marcel,
Being in Aysgarth you are located central to a few rivers all within easy travelling distance. I'm sure you already have all the info on the Ure but if not I can post it for you.
Also do not write off the River Cover & River Bain they can still be fishable when the main rivers are all in spate, again if you need info I can post it for you.

The Ure and the swale are both spate rivers, The rivers at present are on their bones...ie there is no water, I was up last night at Aysgarth as my club own most of the water from Aysgarth falls upstream for a couple of miles, before it reaches the water that Tony in his post showed you. and for almost 4 hours I only saw 2 fish moving and thankfully got them both, we desperately need rain right now.

On the opposite side of the scale if it rains too much the rivers rise quickly and the fishing it effected but thankfully the upper reaches where you are staying run off fairly fast & although it may not be fishable one day it can be the next. The uppermost limit I fish to on the EA scale for Bainbridge is 0.45m anything above that then forget it, its too high.

As for stocked lakes in the vicinity you have a couple of standbys there is the reservoir at Thornton Stewart which is run by felling flyfishers, and you can buy day tickets for it.....Felling Fly Fishing Club - Thornton Steward Reservoir

There is Kilnsey Park just across the dale, not my cup of tea but a standby should it be needed if your on holiday Kilnsey Fly Fishery And Trout Farm

There is Semerwater too, although Ive not heard of any trout catches coming from it lately its another alternative Lake Semerwater

There is also a small trout fishery on the outskirts of Hawes, its signposted off the main A684 from Aysgarth to Hawes but I cant find any links for it, again you wont miss it.
If you wanted to travel further afield for around an hour or so you have all the reservoirs up in the Durham Dales, such as Hury, Selset & Grassholme.

If your over and it ties in with one of my days off Id be more than happy to get you onto the club water at Aysgarth for a fish, just let me know.:thumbs:

Last edited:

zeeforel

Dear George,

Thanks very much for the time you spend informing me! Really appreciate it.

If you have any further info I would love to learn about the Ure, Bain or Cover (methods, places, flies, barbless?)

And of course thanks for the invitation. I may try to communicate with you while being there.

Kind regards,

Marcel

zeeforel

Dear Tony, Thanks for this info.

What was the Wharfe at Buckden like. if I may ask? Also quite near my (temporary) location!

Kind regards,
Marcel

tonyt

You're welcome Marcel

The Wharfe at buckden is also very nice I think you can get day tickets.
It's one place to go when others rivers are too high but conversely suffers when rain is scarce.
Hard to fish when low but really good when levels are up.

I'm not sure but think you can get day tickets at the buck inn.

BRUCE1

The Northern Shire of York....within the Kingdom o
There is Semerwater too, although Ive not heard of any trout catches coming from it lately its another alternative Lake Semerwater

If your over and it ties in with one of my days off Id be more than happy to get you onto the club water at Aysgarth for a fish, just let me know.:thumbs:
George if he gets the day ticket from the Rose and Crown in Bainbridge that covers him for the Ure, the Bain ,and the tributaries that run into Semerwater but not Semerwater itself :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

and like george if its on a weekend i can join you too if you so wished :thumbs::thumbs:

zeeforel

Thanks guys! Really appreciate the info and offers. Need to consider this and start planning. :thumbs:

Strange question: when water levels are low as they are now, where do the fish stay??

Btw: really looking forward getting a sneak preview of the rivers & environment during the live TV coverage of the Tour de France today! :)

BRUCE1

The Northern Shire of York....within the Kingdom o
Thanks guys! Really appreciate the info and offers. Need to consider this and start planning. :thumbs:

Strange question: when water levels are low as they are now, where do the fish stay??

Btw: really looking forward getting a sneak preview of the rivers & environment during the live TV coverage of the Tour de France today! :)

no need to watch that rubbish :eek:mg::eek:mg:

Below pictures are of the Bain ,after the confluence picture its all the Ure downstream from the Bain :thumbs::thumbs:

THIS IS THE CONFLUENCE OF THE RIVER BAIN WITH THE URE ,THE BAIN COMING IN FROM THE LEFT
:thumbs::thumbs:

River Ure going downstream from the Bain

this is looking back up towards the confluence which is up top left behind tree line

going downstream again

Pm being sent shortly ...:thumbs::thumbs:

zeeforel

Judging from the TV registration of the Tour de France, it seems the water in the Ure around Aysgarth is rather decent. So it looks like that when official measurement at Bainbridge = 0,11m (05:30 on 05/07/2014)?

I do notice it is rising a bit, probably due to some rain during the past night?