River Ure, Wensleydale

zeeforel

Hi Bruce, thanks for this link to yet another site.

But you do not agree with (slightly) rising? Thought I saw some steeper increase upstream as well...

BRUCE1

The Northern Shire of York....within the Kingdom o
Last edited:

george387

George if he gets the day ticket from the Rose and Crown in Bainbridge that covers him for the Ure, the Bain ,and the tributaries that run into Semerwater but not Semerwater itself :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

and like george if its on a weekend i can join you too if you so wished :thumbs::thumbs:
Yep knew the Bain was covered on the association ticket but if the waters up Semerwater is a get out cop ;)

They didn't do a bad job of showing off all the good fishing places on the tour today, and by the looks of things the river has risen since I was on it on Thursday night :)

Marcel I will PM you a link to some write ups and pics of the area your going as no doubt if I did it on here would get my knuckles wrapped....:whistle::whistle:

old red tag

You're welcome Marcel

The Wharfe at buckden is also very nice I think you can get day tickets.
It's one place to go when others rivers are too high but conversely suffers when rain is scarce.
Hard to fish when low but really good when levels are up.

I'm not sure but think you can get day tickets at the buck inn.
Isn't it from Dalesgarth Holiday Cottages in Buckden? It's a Bradford City AA water. Membership is only thirty something pounds (plus a joining fee) and they have miles of water on the Ure around Aysgarth. If the fishing looks worthwhile it might be worth joining.

B

Becks and Brown Trout

Was thinking about a trip to the Ure this weekend , I know its low but hows it looking after all the muck in it from a week or so ago

Andy

bobtheplod

Isn't it from Dalesgarth Holiday Cottages in Buckden? It's a Bradford City AA water. Membership is only thirty something pounds (plus a joining fee) and they have miles of water on the Ure around Aysgarth. If the fishing looks worthwhile it might be worth joining.
You are quite correct on all points.

Dave

zeeforel

Given the current weather forecast for the weekend it looks as there will be some water added to the Ure which makes it fishable just after the weekend?

Any thoughts? Thanks.

george387

Marcel the rain gods have shown on you for your visit, the river is sitting at 0.32m early this morning and its been heavy rain all day, when are you coming over?

george387

Dropped in on marcel today whilst he was fishing & catching which was great to see, unfortunately I was working so no fishing but a great chat & nice to see that he was enjoying the water and the fish. Tight lines for the rest of your holiday marcel :thumbs:

stubroo

Looks like extra water in the Swale and Ure at the upper reaches according to the EA website. I'm off to Slenningford Mill on Saturday for a few nights. Hope that the level is at a decent level. I can fish while the kids play on the bank and the wife is sat in the caravan with a glass of swalley and a book. Everyone's happy :thumbs::thumbs:

zeeforel

Hi to you all out here,

On the 5th of August I had the pleasure of fishing the Ure for a day in Bainbridge on a day ticket bought at The Rose & Crown Hotel a day before.

It was a great & sunny day! To sum-up: I ended up catching around 7 trout and 8 grayling. Not all of big sizes but enough for me.

One of the nicest moments of the day was when george387 came by to say hello. George was one of the people on this nice forum who had given me tips for the Ure and Yorkshire Dales in general that really made sure I had one of the nicest holiday fishing days ever. Thanks again George!!!

Link to some photo's (sorry could not figure out another way...)

HTML:
<a href="https://plus.google.com/+MarceldeRuiter/posts/BEadKBdR2dF">Link</a>

Last edited:

george387

Marcel, glad you got home safely and enjoyed the remainder of your holiday :thumbs: Your trout were wee crackers am glad that you had a good days fishing and caught some fish. all the very best George :thumbs:

Last edited:

lawrenceh_w

Any news on how the Ure is looking around Hawes?

I'm up there from the 12th Sep for a week or so and I usually get a week's ticket and walk to the river from our holiday cottage for the odd afternoon/evening. Hopefully there's been a bit of rain around to top the river level up.

Out of interest does anyone use streamers on the Yorkshire rivers? Some of the spots look pretty good for running a fry pattern through or does everyone stick to dries/nymphs/spiders?

eugene sax

I've just returned from a 2 week stay just outside Hawes near Halfway pool and the river has generally looked nice, if on the low side, but I found the fish very hard to tempt, even after the rain at the end of the week before last. I fished the pool and/or the fast run 1/2 a mile downstream about 10 times or more and only had fish 3 or 4 times, best haul was 4 which included a proper grayling (and a minnow which I didn't count).
This was the 6th consecutive year we've stayed in the same area (20th year visiting Hawes) and this was the hardest I've found the fishing: I tried a variety of sized/patterns of klinks, which normally can be guaranteed to raise a fish or two when there's a bit of water and/ or in late evening even when there's been little or no surface activity, but this year - hardly a sniff to them. Also used small gold & tungsten nymphs/grayling bugs, a few spider patterns and a size 18 dry sedge which got me a fish or two. Gave up in the end - my last attempt was on Wednesday on the Bain where I caught a dozen or so (all trout and some very nice fish) - all except one to a big klink.

My best return from a H&HAAA water was on a litlle side stream 5 minute's drive up-dale during the heavy rain which last year with a simialr flow produced nearly 30 fish (a small klink on the way up & a gray spider pattern on the way down, the latter producing a lot more takes but only marginally more fish). This year I was very pleased with my 10 small brownies.

umbra abus

Doesn't seem like many people are using this forum these days. Everyone must be tweeting instead.

Anyway please note the YDRT auction is this Saturday. Come along :wine: and put a little back into the charity that looks after our Yorkshire Waters. There are some unique fly fishing opportunities across some of Yorkshire's tops private stretches to be won.

The Yorkshire Dales Rivers Trust Auction 2015 to view & bid on the fantastic lots for this year please visit: Auction - Yorkshire Dales Rivers Trust

We will also be holding a live auction in the Red Lion Hotel at Burnsall on Saturday 28th at 7pm. Tickets for the social event are £15 including wine & canapes.

Please contact the Trust or myself if you would like the full catalogue sending to you by e-mail.
Lets hope this season brings us the fish you never forget.

Latest posts