River Ure, Wensleydale

BRUCE1

The Northern Shire of York....within the Kingdom o
I fished the rose & crown stretch last year and was a thoroughly good day out, All you need to do is go into the Bar of the Rose & Crown in Bainbridge and ask for a ticket which the landlord will supply at the cost, I cant remember but I think it was £10, dont quote me on that though!
The river is east of the village on the Carperby road about 300 metres from the pub and just park in the lay-by over the Bridge, Downstream is the confluence of the River Bain & Ure which is always productive and downstream is also very good, Bruce has fished it a lot more and can give you greater details, remember you can also fish the Bain on the ticket also so 2 rivers for the price of 1. :thumbs:
you can indeed George,including all the feeder streams that run into Semerwater from which the Bain is born but you can not fish Semerwater itself.....

george387

Was working in Pateley bridge today and had a look at the Nidd and its running high and very dirty, so drove up nidderdale past the reservoir back into Masham on my home and all the streams are at full tilt running with water off the moors, just in case you decided to have a look down on the nidd.

tigermoth

Was working in Pateley bridge today and had a look at the Nidd and its running high and very dirty, so drove up nidderdale past the reservoir back into Masham on my home and all the streams are at full tilt running with water off the moors, just in case you decided to have a look down on the nidd.
Cheers for the update George... keep'em coming. I'm keeping my fingers crossed;)

umbra abus

Tigermoth, North country angler.

River dropped from the spate it had yesterday. Sediment is slowly clearing and temp 7 c. Like it says on Yorkshire Water thread . If we don't have another day like yesterday should be good to fish the falling river this weekend - only wish I could...

tight lines.

B

Becks and Brown Trout

As nobody has posted on here of late..

I managed a few hours after work yesterday , As much in desperation to get out as the weekend aint looking good. River running pretty low but plenty of fish rising. Spent the first hour working out what they were rising to as there was just about everything hatching. there was mayfly some yellow mays loads of Olives and even the odd sedge. Not to mention clouds of midges and the like..

Anyway eventually sussed that lots of fish were feeding on aphids so once I put a fine tippet on and a size 18 / 20 greenfly. I had about 8 and hook pulled and missed a few more including a real lump that took me down to the backing and then was released at distance, curse them small hooks lol I cant remember when that happened before..

Anyway heres the river and a couple of the fish...

Hadnt been to the Ure for a while. Lovely river..

Andy

Becks and Brown Trout

umbra abus

Thanks Andy great fish pics,

I have meant to have posted on this thread for some time, sadly I can't get my recent pictures from my phone onto my computer at the moment. I’ve been catching quite a lot of large fish recently anything up to 18" and usually many in an evening just you mentioned.

There has been a lot of fly life on the water but strangely Andy I have also found that the trout are keener on aphids then anything else recently even though I love to get my mayfly patterns out when I can! :D :goodcast:

But the most successful pattern I’ve taken fish on recently is Davy McPhail's Small Bullet Head Caddis in tiny sizes from 17-22. It’s as effective as a small cdc pattern to imitate aphids etc, but it sits on the water nicely and hardly ever needs floatant applying. You can tie these with any dubbing to match what you trying to simulate. I use Spirit Rivers Olive, Golden Olive & Chartreuse Diamond Brite dubbing for aphid imitations.

Here is the video link below:

Tying a Small Bullet Head Caddis with Davie McPhail. - YouTube

Has anyone else been using aphid patterns on the Yore recently:confused:

Mrtrout

Taken approx 72 years ago, my dear old dad on the Ure at Ripon, where he was based for many years.

Sorry about picture size, it was taken from an old black and white.
Dunlop rubber thigh waders, an old but not then, Hardy 9ft cane rod, I still have it, and a perfect 31/8" reel, he's holding three takeable trout.

S.

Last edited:

s trutta

Matt

If you ever fancy Buckden let me know. I used to fish it a lot-tremendous water. Sadly I don't really fish it now but had some great days in the past. The increasing amount of Goosanders and their broods put me off and last time I fished there was 2 seasons ago and again saw plenty of Goosanders and had plenty trout but they were all really small. Suffice to say mid way through the afternoon I upped sticks and went to another river!

IMO it was a really slow starter(and when I fished it say '93-2007' I would guess I was on it as often as anyone) and was not really worth fishing till full leaf out. Poor upwing hatches but tremendous terrestrial fishing. Upstream of the bridge would tend to use an 8' rod and downstream you can get away with a longer one as it is far more open.

A few shots from Buckden have appeared in T & S and FF & FT over the years though unless you fished it you would not recognise it as such (Paul Procter T & S Aug '05 though the grayling is not from there!/OE FF & FT Nov/Dec '01 and OE FF & FT Mar '09 article about Yellow Mays though there are none up that far! Barn Pool is at Buckden).

I now fish other waters and fondly recall my numerous trips to Buckden, both by myself and with mates. If someone could convince me that it is not knackered by those bloody Goosanders I may have the odd day again.

We had some cracking fish with the biggest 18". I have heard of bigger being caught and my mate saw one that he estimated at closer to 4lb than 3lb jump out of the water(and he is not prone to exaggeration).

Tickets from Dalesgarth Cottages (David and Susan) and they were only £4 when I fished there!!

Richard

umbra abus

Taken approx 72 years ago, my dear old dad on the Ure at Ripon, where he was based for many years.
Dunlop rubber thigh waders, an old but not then, Hardy 9ft cane rod, I still have it, and a perfect 31/8" reel, he's holding three takeable trout.

S.
Its interesting to hear a little more about your father Steve,

He seemed to be a truely British piscator with that outfit - not forgetting the pipe.

The dunlop thigh waders were similar to the rubber hunters. The beauty of both being that you could unstich the soles and re-sole them with relative ease and they would take a little more than a scratch of barbed wire to puncture them. I have a few pairs but sadly none in my size. Whereas these days I am told that you're expensive gortex waders easily leak when abbraded and you must constanly send them back. Im still using pvc.

The Ure has fished well so far this week, whilst dropping from its spate over the weekend. I have had many fish starting on Sunday with short line techniques and fishing with a team of flies - whilst most fish took my fluro pink tag jig fly fancy thingy in beer brown water. Yet since this river drops so quickly I was fishing spiders upstream for part of monday and drys for the rest of the week up to this point. Alowing me to put down my modern nymphing rod and use the best medium ever made for a fly fishing rod, bamboo :D

Here is a link to a great caenis cdc pattern that is the best imitation I have ever used - and the most effective.
simple to tie even in small sizes.
Another quick and easy one Walney, but these must be in tiny sizes (17-as small as you can go)

CDC Caenis - moscoflia.com

Looks like this rain may make me pick up my modern rod again soon.

Tight lines

walney

A beautifully tied caenis. I tied up some bullethead caddis and they produced the goods last night during a late evening sedge hatch on the Wharfe.

umbra abus

Nice one, I'm sure I won't be without a few of these in my fly box from now on. Even though I'm substituting a straw for a hair stacker- I'll bet they will be even deadlier when I get one!

One strange occurance on the Ure yesterday evening for me was that I saw a huge bird of prey. It wasn't one of the many buzzards that we have over here, it had a white hood and a slightly forked tail. I saw it arrive at the pool above me when I got out of my car on the beat, it was being mugged by a crow. Later I saw it with a fish in it tallons as I left the beat in my car, I really regret now not being quieter on my way back home because I think it was either a young migrating Osprey or a Red Kite. It was difficult to make out the markings under its wings with the sunset as a backdrop. I'm starting to think it was an Osprey, if only I could have whatched it take the trout it had in its grasp!

Bizzar

B

Becks and Brown Trout

Nice one, I'm sure I won't be without a few of these in my fly box from now on. Even though I'm substituting a straw for a hair stacker- I'll bet they will be even deadlier when I get one!

One strange occurance on the Ure yesterday evening for me was that I saw a huge bird of prey. It wasn't one of the many buzzards that we have over here, it had a white hood and a slightly forked tail. I saw it arrive at the pool above me when I got out of my car on the beat, it was being mugged by a crow. Later I saw it with
a fish in it tallons as I left the beat in my car, I really regret now not being quieter on my way back home because I think it was either a young migrating Osprey or a Red Kite. It was difficult to make out the markings under its wings with the sunset as a backdrop. I'm starting to think it was an Osprey, if only I could have whatched it take the trout it had in its grasp!

Bizzar

I saw an Osprey at Masham last year. It was just making its way upstream about 30m above the water .. I was gutted I didnt see it take a fish. The only place in England I have watched one Hunting was about 20 yrs ago at lockwood beck reservoir, awesome sight.

Andy

umbra abus

Thanks for that,

I'm pretty sure now that it was an Osprey then. It must have been migrating and a little behind - like the swallows I suppose. It was a hell of sight, a 5 foot wing span. As with most birds, I feel, the RSPB underestimate how many there are in the country.

B

Becks and Brown Trout

I used to be a pretty keen birdwatcher... Sad eh. And I did a couple of spells as a volunteer warden for them watching eagle and osprey nests in Scotland when I was a teen. I believe the RSPB have always played down the numbers of Large BoP . Partly to protect the birds there were. Loch Garten was always used to draw attention to it in the hope it protected other birds.

Now the numbers are increasing all the time buzzards , kites and peregrines are a fairly common site . Ospreys are becoming far more widespread...

Andy

umbra abus

Thats good to hear, I did whatch something about that Loch a while ago.

Hopefully we will see them again and perhaps even when they are taking a fish in one of our yorkshrie waters soon. I heard of one being seen in Swaledale last year today.

Thanks again coasty

george387

Ure dropping nicely,:thumbs:still slightly coloured but managed a few hours today and had 6 fish all on the nymphs and gave up counting on how many I lost, if no rain tonight should be in fine condition tomorrow.

umbra abus

Been fishing a lot, testing restored rods etc...

Saw an angler just below Masham Bridge this afternoon at around 5pm - was that you Andy?
Looked as though he was fishing downstream maybe with spiders but you couldn't tell.
I think he would do better to turn around, I have been catching a lot of fish with the upstream spiders lately in the pocket water in these low conditions etc...
I'm glad I use silk lines with this awful wind this past weekend

Anyone got some interesting spider flies to post on the thread?