Fly Fishing Forum banner

River Ure, Wensleydale

49K views 218 replies 36 participants last post by  umbra abus 
#1 · (Edited)
-The River Ure, Wensleydale-

Wensley bridge built 14th century, at the heart of the dale. Masons mark states 1830 (when the arch widening was completed)​
This is a River Update thread designed to equipt the curious Angler with recent information on the condition of the the River Ure.

The River's Source shall be talked about later in this thread, but the Yore comes into its own below Appersett and between the high market town of Hawes.

It continues to flow through Wensleydale and various places that shall be talked about at length later, I'm sure. Until it meets its Northern neighbouring river, the Swale at Myton-on-Swale and Ellenthorpe Lodge. Then the Ure flows with the Swale into the Ouse that passes through York and into the Humber where the Trent also joins. Then through the Humber estury and out to the North Sea. It is over 100 miles from the source of the water to its joining of the Sea

The River Levels shall be included when felt necessary and taken from:Environment Agency - River Levels: Swale, Ure, Nidd and Upper Ouse

Please feel free to ask questions, I shall try to respond promptly.
Thanks for visiting :thumbs:

See less See more
#8 · (Edited)
Ure is in spate at the moment, Bainbridge Level hit 1m (3.2ft) Environment Agency - River levels station data
(Bainbridge take a low level usually for some reason)
http://www.environment-agency.gov.u...iverlevels/120701.aspx?stationId=8113Thornton Steward 1.13 m at 6.15pm and finally (in my part of the rivers readings)// Masham is just under a Metre, 0.92 Environment Agency - River levels station data Im sure the spate will catch up with the lower part of the dale tonight.

Good to here stillwater is catching fish on the classical spider. Lovley photos, I notice a bit of a beach in the background looks good spot. Beautiful markings on the fish, no red spots...interesting.

I had great fun earlier in the week with a Coachman worked on its own (8 Brown Trout on Tuesday), today a 10"Grayling Czech nymphing OE hydropsyche size10 on point again, (what fantastic imitations:goodcast:): Essential Skills

Off the thread topic but I had an urge to fish Tanfield Lodge today, £14 bargin, surrounding waters are more expensive with Thornton Steward £18 & Leighton £22 I think (both have gone up in recent years "due to stocking costs", but Tanfield has not) Yet I'm sure others know far more about this than I do. P.S I didnt go today although I felt I should, some time soon I must.

#14 ·
Bainbridge Level hit 1m (3.2ft) Environment Agency - River levels station data
(Bainbridge take a low level usually for some reason)
Interesting comment about low level reading at Bainbridge. I usually fish Swale at Catterick - about 0.30 is fairly low and anything up to about 0.50 is fishable there.

Bainbridge seems to run 'normally' at about 0.15 - 0.20. I am planning a day ticket trip up there soon - can you suggest what is the maximum level to save a wasted journey?

#11 ·
Yeah I noticed that too Sam and should have said something. The Marksman looks very tasty, what model is that Fred? I prefer Cane and Greenheart personally.

Spiders look good too, I also like mine with enough hackle to last!

That latter fishes marking has some very attractive red spots around the latteral line. Thanks for the pics

#12 ·
Yeah I noticed that too Sam and should have said something. The Marksman looks very tasty, what model is that Fred? I prefer Cane and Greenheart personally.

Spiders look good too, I also like mine with enough hackle to last!

That latter fishes marking has some very attractive red spots around the latteral line. Thanks for the pics
10ft 4# mate.

Would expect the Ure to be a right off for tonights session :(.... heavens have opened !. Still i'l have the upper Skell to fall back on...... takes a lot more water to flood that river :thumbs:
You mention Tanfield Lodge..... ( less than 10 mins. from my door )..... my advice, don't fish it when the weathers good and try to avoid weekends - to many rods.

#16 ·
I carn't help you to much Andy........ as i'm lower down. I was fishing last night and catching but it was border line mate, anymore in and game over imo.
I can pop over and check my levels later which may give you a little idea.....?
But right now your on a coin..... no rain, you'l have a little cover colour and fish will be back on..... any rain at all and your most proberbly up shint creek.

#19 ·
Same dance over this side of the Pennines Fred. Saturday and Tuesday on the Eden, the river has started to come up in the afternoon after smizzle over't fells all day. Not a massive rise, but enough to put a bit too much colour in and send the fish doggo.

I had a mate on on Tuesday (you might know him) and he wanted to fish dry, not interested in the nymphs. Spent all day trying to find him a riser and finally found a big grayling coming up about 4 times a minute. Strides downstream to get him, back we come - 20 mins max - the river has come up 4 inches and put the bloody thing down - cocknobs!

We'll sort something for later on in the summer eh?

M

#20 ·
Defo. Mat, will look forward to fishing with you. Flap caps at dawn ?:eek:

I remember stood in the middle of the Ure as a young lad, glorious day ! clarity clear....... ahh :)! within minutes the colour came in, i turned round, looked up river........... and shat myself when i saw what was heading my way........ never been caught in a flash flood like that before and ended up swimming for my life :eek::eek:...... good times :D:D:D

---------- Post added at 04:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:12 PM ----------

That's it you lot !....... i'm not sitting here any longer....... flood or no flood........ i'm heading over to the ure and i will catch something !!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

#21 · (Edited)
10 ft 4# best choice of the range I think. Tanfield lodge I read a post you wrote a while ago saying that the lodge has many people flocking to it o weekends and sunny days etc...and now ever time there is a strong wind and bad weather for river I feel I should go try it. Do you see many red signal crayfish?
Andy, yeah sadly unless you want to Czech Nymph and search for fish all day dont think its really worth it, river is still high

#22 · (Edited)
River is reading 0.51m at Thornton Steward. Still up from where it was this time last week. Now the Ure is clearing gradually and fish are rising. This evening 1 Brown Trout of 9 1/2" & 1 accidental Sea Trout of 14 1/2":-

Other anglers were encouraged to get down to the river this weekend and today. Fish still fickle to enchant, as they where taking Diptera and again a Coachman served its worth under these conditions. Earlier over the weekend CopperBeadhead PTN was the only fly attracting any interest. Good to see anadromous fish in June.

G
#23 ·
I had a trip to the Ure Sunday morning . Started on spiders and had about 8 small fish Brownies and Grayling pretty much all of them came to the waterhen. Then Dries in the slower water ( A JT olive) had 5 more decent brownies before it got to hot.. Oh yes I forgot my camera and got sunburnt...:eek:

Andy

G
#25 · (Edited)
Went to the Ure yesterday . River still carrying a little extra colour. A strange day caught loads of trout parr and a couple that I swear were salmon Parr as well. Had a few nice browns on the duo but missed a hell of a lot of fish and foul hooked a couple as the seemed to be splashing at the the fly rather than taking it clean.

The grayling have moved into the faster water swims they stay into now till the winter and were rising to the klink. had a few nice half pounders .

All in all a good day, didnt see another angler all day. Also saw a couple of salmon jumping. one a very silvery freash run fish. Really must consider a salmon permit :whistle:

Pics to follow when I find camera lead,,,,

Andy

#27 ·
Just returned from a 4 hour session on the Ure at Bainbridge. The river seems pretty dead at the moment - hardly any fly life and in the whole time I only saw two rises. Apart from missing one take to a small klinkhamer, there was no response at all to either nymphs or dries. A lovely day, the dale at its best, but the fishing .........:(

Would be interested to know how you get on, Fred!

#29 · (Edited)
Fished above Ripon for three hours last night, 6.40pm - 9.40pm, water has run clear and at normal level.

Fished spiders ( team of three on a v long leader ) across and down, no flyline on water. Then came back up with double nymph.

First run.

First fish. approx. 6.45pm, MB spider. Not big, but good nik. Landed a few in this run, but lost 3 very good grayling...... fast flow, long twang and spiders.

Took a number of small fish to spiders through this run.........

This kind of quality....

Plenty of parr for the otters :eek::(

A good number of fish up through this run........ double nymph being most productive ( drab colours ).

With the better fish sitting as normal at the tail end.... pic. below.
I worked this area for a while as i know it holds fish......... i'd seen another otter working this water prior to my arrival, unlike the pair i saw the other night, this one p!ssed off sharp........ didn't effect the grayling all that much, but the browns...... see ya !

From 9pm on, the grayling were rising well to EHC........ i finished off at the first run, ( top pic. ) landing a good grayling at 9.40pm.

G
#31 ·
I see this thread has been a bit quiet lately. I fished the Ure friday evening , the river is running at a good level and is a lovely dark colour. Had a few Grayling and didnt even see one trout rise.

Still not able to use photobucket but a few pics and report on the blog if anyones interested..

Becks and Brown Trout

Andy

#34 · (Edited)
I see this thread has been a bit quiet lately.
Sorry Andy,

Now that the trout season is over on the Yore. The dalesman have the beautiful Grayling to deceive as the autumn fills our rivers with fallen leaves.

Don't forget that Grayling don't live only in our River systems. We are blessed here in Yorkshire to have Gouthwaite Reservoir where Grayling can be also sought.

Remember that Salminoid species gills shall start to deteriorate after 15 seconds out of water, so be cautious to keep your fish in the water until you quickly take it out to remove your barbless hook.

With this one I abided by Righyni's teaching and made sure the fihs was drawn downstream into the net. Then quickly took this lovely cock fish out (14.9" 38cm) the water and onto the bank and took this picture, then making sure to gently place it back into the water from my net the same way it came! Simplez :)

We should look after these beautiful wild fish and keep them free of waterlice and infections:

:goodcast:Grayling day next week.:goodcast:

#35 ·
I was out yesterday on the Clifton Castle water above Masham. Lovely day warm overcast and virtually no breeze (until later).

Nothing much rising initially, so went with duo rather than straight nymphs as I had a feeling the mild weather would have the fish looking up......which is how it turned out. Fish after fish walloped the dry with not a single one taking the nymph! Ended up on straight prospected dry. Every pocket and run seemed to throw up a couple of fish willing to investigate. Nowt large - mostly fish in the 8-12oz class.

Later on the wind got up and blew carpets of beech leaves onto the surface. Plenty of schoolie grayling obliged, coming up to the soup of aphids and weevils trapped in the film....although there was that much leaf on the water, it was difficult to present the fly properly.

Nice day out. Every time I venture across the Pennines in trepidation, I'm always reminded that I should do so more often.

Matt

#38 ·
Anyone fished the river recently? The past week has been good weather conditions for it, after the water we got the week before. Looking forward to Nov,Dec.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.