River Wye 2018

sewinbasher

Just watching Hugh F-W looking at beavers on the R. Otter in Devon and it was interesting to learn that a young female was found 46kms upstream of the point where it was tagged.

Stuart Smith

Why ask me, Stuart, after all, your like backed Morse's post which implied I and Simon Evans are not of right mind. You should address you question to Simon Evans and then hope he tells the truth for once. Unfortunately, his tree felling knowledge seems rather confused at the moment. It's a WUF photo, of what they do?.
Ian
Ian,
I asked you because you posted the photo. I 'liked' Morse for his concern over the lack of unity. Not sure where my action implied you and Simon are to quote you 'not of right mind'. Please don't put words into my mouth, that and your latter comments are part of the problem of 'lack of unity'.
Lets get back to real issues for the river like the proposed new NRW byelaws, cormorants and the release of beavers with no means of control.:whistle::whistle:
Stuart

barby

Ian,
I asked you because you posted the photo. I 'liked' Morse for his concern over the lack of unity. Not sure where my action implied you and Simon are to quote you 'not of right mind'. Please don't put words into my mouth, that and your latter comments are part of the problem of 'lack of unity'.
Lets get back to real issues for the river like the proposed new NRW byelaws, cormorants and the release of beavers with no means of control.:whistle::whistle:
Stuart
I beg your pardon, morse's post clearly makes a comparison between "right-minded fishers" and the last two postings" namely Simon and myself. I have not put words in your mouth, I quote Morse.

Ian

morse

Barby,

To assume I consider you or Simon Evans of lacking a "right mind" is indeed a stretch of the imagination ,as, I do n't believe I know either of you personally and would not dream of making such remarks about someone of whom I have no personal knowledge.

Calm down, you are off beam here, not every post has to have a target.

Morse

barby

Ok, Morse, I won’t argue. In fact, I have been searching for that final encouragement to allow me to give up my years of river observation and reports back. I will, however, return here occasionally to see how your and others declared wants and wishes are progressing or not. I wish you luck towards a better river and its fishing.
As an interim thought, I offer this amazing and perhaps appropriate downloaded text:-

Beavers are second only to humans in their ability to manipulate their environment. The largest dam in existence is located in Wood Buffalo National Park, Alberta, Canada. It stretches for 850m and is visible from space.

Ian.

morse

Barby,

I am sorry to hear of your thoughts as all rivers need their watchers, the Wye catchment more than most, and I am sad to think that I appear to have had some part to play in this decision.

Hoping you will reconsider and continue to contribute as before

Morse

steved77

Right enough of beavers

What's the first spring fly on good water you reach for personally I love the RS super snaelda just fills me with confidence

noeyedeer

Right enough of beavers

What's the first spring fly on good water you reach for personally I love the RS super snaelda just fills me with confidence

Well said sir!

Quite frankly , if the clearly knowledgable but unfortunately argumentative locals could bury the hatchet for a while (preferably for good if not voluntarily then via the itinerant myriad) we could perhaps get this thread back to informative and positive posts regarding fishing on the Wye ??

boisker

As well to remember that they landscapes we seek to protect are almost entirely manmade, from the highest peaks to the (now drained) marshlands. Totally different to how it looked when beaver were last indigenous to this country.

Watched David Attenborough describe how the North American tundra didn't even exist until hunters exterminated the mammoth, it was prairie with all those species associated with prairie. Meddle with nature at our peril.
With regards the U.K. not quite accurate Bumble.... the % of woodland isnt massively different from when beavers were last here in the 16 C, the state of habitats and landscape has changed through the enclosure acts and more recently through intensification. But even when beavers were last here principally you would recognise the landscape.... just far less species rich. Open field systems, farmed or woodland.. by this point in history the only woodland left would have been because it had a ‘commercial’ use and/or trickier to farm... we were already a net importer of timber at this point.
Obviously the pressure on resources through massively increased populations, roads, cities, water has dramatically changed.... so it is a very different wider environment.

Anyone really interested in a ‘quickish’ understanding of the countryside and how it has ‘changed’ over the centuries and why it looks like it does should read the History of the Countryside by Oliver Rackham.... an amazing book.

noeyedeer

What happened on a similar situation on a club forum where the thread topic was so way off beam: we had an intervention from a moderator, you know, those that are supposed to keep threads on topic etc.

So here’s what they did; cut out all the posts about beavers (yes, beavers again ) and put them in a topic about beavers, NOT in a topic about fishing the river.

But then , for some inane reason , the Wye thread appears to be on a par with another long running thread on here that has the mods running scared......

boisker

Apologies noeyedeer
It wasn’t my intention to carry on in distracting from the thread and I wasn’t really replying regarding beavers... I just have a real interest in the history of our countryside and always think everyone would enjoy Rackhams book:p

I enjoy the Wye thread and look forward to it getting back on track:D

morse

Right enough of beavers

Gotta be the Conehead Willie Gunn, Gold of course for a special day!

Morse.

rossjames

Right enough of beavers

I've heard dyed beaver dubbing makes a good snaelda body! :D

Maybe a few pelts available locally in the near future!

New Kid

With regards the U.K. not quite accurate Bumble.... the % of woodland isnt massively different from when beavers were last here in the 16 C, the state of habitats and landscape has changed through the enclosure acts and more recently through intensification. But even when beavers were last here principally you would recognise the landscape.... just far less species rich. Open field systems, farmed or woodland.. by this point in history the only woodland left would have been because it had a ‘commercial’ use and/or trickier to farm... we were already a net importer of timber at this point.
Obviously the pressure on resources through massively increased populations, roads, cities, water has dramatically changed.... so it is a very different wider environment.

Anyone really interested in a ‘quickish’ understanding of the countryside and how it has ‘changed’ over the centuries and why it looks like it does should read the History of the Countryside by Oliver Rackham.... an amazing book.
Hi Boisker, I agree about Rackham.

I could make the case that this thread is about the Wye and people's concerns and/or hopes for now and the future, having started it. Having spent a considerable number of years, quite a bit of EU money and some of my own, fencing out tributaries to maintain the bank side vegetation. I and not keen on some mustalid (are they?) hacking it all down. The mean temperature of today's UK is more than a degree above what it was in Beaver Days whereas tree shading can reduce the effects of sun by significantly more than that.

Accounts from the Tay suggest they like to move down larger rivers - not possible on the Otter - its too small to gauge this - and take down bigger trees to create their habitat on the sides of wider sections. either way I cant see the benefits. Sediment stored will be released on high flows and the deeper, slower sections are less productive for salmonids

NK

steved77

Congratulations Terry Ward for winning the Charles Farlow Trophy and Norman Owen Cup what a double that is

cb

Fish&Fly
Staff member
Congratulations Terry Ward for winning the Charles Farlow Trophy and Norman Owen Cup what a double that is
Well done Terry! A great story to go with that 35lb+ capture - it should be told here :)

washington

Beavers! Not just any old beavers but beavers on the Wye. Having spoken to the lady who heads the Welsh Beaver Project I have been assured that nobody has the vaguest idea how a beaver turned up at Erwood. It is not an official beaver.

However she did tell me that a request for the introduction of beavers has been made to the NRW for a site "in Carmarthenshire." As I understand it if there are no objections then the introduction can go ahead. However if no one is told the request has been made how does anyone know whether to object?

morse

Beavers! Not just any old beavers but beavers on the Wye. Having spoken to the lady who heads the Welsh Beaver Project I have been assured that nobody has the vaguest idea how a beaver turned up at Erwood. It is not an official beaver.

However she did tell me that a request for the introduction of beavers has been made to the NRW for a site "in Carmarthenshire." As I understand it if there are no objections then the introduction can go ahead. However if no one is told the request has been made how does anyone know whether to object?
Washington, good point!

How often do fishers, and perhaps others, find themselves in this situation?

Projects rubber stamped before they are known about.

Is it merely a case of getting your idea in first and awaiting approval before your scheme becomes "public" knowledge?

Referring to the OP I think I'd like to add investigation of this type of situation to my fairytale wish list.

Morse

steved77

Absolute beauty caught on the Tay today let’s hope there are already a few of the big ones in the Wye