River Wye 2018

jymny

This is my first post on this site, alas what I am reading is now pretty well universally common. For years I have driven to Builth, crossed the bridge to trade at the showgound. Each time I cross I have thought, how good it would be to fish. I decided that this year would be the year. So I have invested in river tackle and gear. Even though I read this, I'm still excited about my trip to the Wye.
Also my first post indigo, there is some good fishing to be had in the Wye in lovely surroundings. Enjoy.

geoffmaynard

Welcome aboard - hope you both catch a few this year! If the colour ever drops out of it...

barby

Hi indigo T, as jymny says, there is indeed some good fishing to be had on the Wye, and imho the Builth area and above, provides the most spectacular stretches throughout the rivers length. You do not say however, what sort of fish you are after and if only during the summer show time period which can have a bearing on the results. I think the local angling clubs offer miles of fishing for all sorts of fish, and if I may, I would suggest this might be a good starting point for you. On the other hand, if you are looking to buy premier salmon fishing, then look downstream towards the Erwood area. The Nith in particular is an exciting beat. Anyway, enjoy yourself on the wonderful Wye.

Hows about this for an excitement location, only a mile above that bridge.

IanS1430091 (2) (1280x853) (1280x853) (1280x853).jpg

Last edited:

New Kid

Who can remember a year in which so many days were lost at the beginning? Was 2000 spring as bad as this? certainly 1993 was wet at the start as was 1978. Would be giving away too much if I mention any earlier years! Here's hoping it holds off for the weekend. We are ready at Llanstephan, Gromain and the Rectory.

New Kid

cb

Fish&Fly
Staff member
Salmon from Letton Court a couple of days ago. Owner Paul sent photo but I don't know details. Not bad for £15 per day for FFF members!

letton-salmon02b.jpg

scotsmac

Any reports on how the Wye or Usk, are fishing at moment ?
Is their a small head of fish spread out through the system ?
Possibly going to come down early next week for 2 to 3 days. Any pointers on where to head for ? Looking for some decent fly water, with chance of a fish or 10.

New Kid

Scotsmac: the answer is there was very little going on when you posted but its picking up now. As the waters drop away, fish are being caught lower down the river but beats in the upper Wye and Glasbury to Hereford have scored BUT it looks as though its going to rain again. please see Salmon Catches | The Fishing Passport for details

New kid

New Kid

No sooner posted than another day of heavy rain is putting Wye up again. That would be OK but there will be more rain to follow later in the week and possibly next week too!

NK

Last edited:

Indigo T

Thank you barby and jymny for your reply and advice. I mainly fish for Trout on my local reservoirs (Bewl Water and Powder Mill). To a non river fisherman the Wye as you approach Builth and cross the bridge looks so good. So I have invested in the tackle, also I have contacted the secretary of the Groe Park and Irfon Angling club, lots of information, advice and help. The trip is a few months away alas.

Simon Evans

It was that bit of river that runs alongside the A470 and the astonishing fact given how sumptious the pools looked, that they had so few salmon in them, which brought me to Wales in 2004. Happily in 2018 after a lot of hard work by many people, the amazing pools now offer some of the best salmon fishing in England and Wales. I can't think of anywhere the UK where the fish are as consistently big. The Wye in April and May offers the best and chance in the UK of a 20lb+ fish on a fly.

sewinbasher

It was that bit of river that runs alongside the A470 and the astonishing fact given how sumptious the pools looked, that they had so few salmon in them, which brought me to Wales in 2004. Happily in 2018 after a lot of hard work by many people, the amazing pools now offer some of the best salmon fishing in England and Wales. I can't think of anywhere the UK where the fish are as consistently big. The Wye in April and May offers the best and chance in the UK of a 20lb+ fish on a fly.
Fair point but I would expect those that fish the lower Hants. Avon to take issue with the claim of 20lb+ fish. Those on the Tyne might take issue with the best salmon fishing in England, although to be fair, you did only say "some of the best".

Simon Evans

As a man who fished a good bit of the Tyne for 12 years in early September catching enough salmon and big seatrout to keep me coming back I can honestly say that the last few years the beats I fish on the Wye are as good/better in terms of fish/hr and about half the price! I don't know the Avon's salmon well, having spent my youth chasing its chub and roach above Fordingbridge rather than its tourists on the prime bits lower down, but their salmon population seems very similar to the Wye's with around 80% MSW and from the last set of published catch stats, 17% of their fish were over 14lb, compared to 24% of the Wye's, and similar numbers of fish over 22lb.

It is interesting that for many years, the populations seemed to proportionaly mirror each other, rising and falling together, but in recent years, the Wye has diverged. That's enough musings, time for bed!

Mark Powell

Banned
Banned
Fair point but I would expect those that fish the lower Hants. Avon to take issue with the claim of 20lb+ fish. Those on the Tyne might take issue with the best salmon fishing in England, although to be fair, you did only say "some of the best".
Your post caught my eye because of your mention of the Hampshire Avon.

The only place worth fishing nowadays is Royalties. Even then the 2017 catch from February 1st to May 31 was only 38, despite that it is heavily fished.

Everywhere else the few fish are so spread out that it's hardly worth bothering. I gave up at Avon Tyrrell and at several places between Ringwood and Downton in the 1990s. In the 1970s I would often catch one most times I went, always by spinning with a Devon.

The Test is better though almost all the fish are caught in Testwood Pool. The last few years it has been 150-200 a season. It's far too expensive for most people and it is for two rods minimum.
Nowadays the Test isn't worth fishing for salmon anywhere else. Having given up on the Avon I tried in the 1990s once a week for three years at Broadlands and caught nothing. And as the catches at Testwood Pool have roughly halved from the 300 or so some years ago and from 1000 plus in the 1960s Broadlands will have too (so I would likely catch nothing in at least twice the time :)). Which is of course why they have expanded the trout fishing. The old protective straw filled sacks at Saddlers Mill (Romsey) and carefully renewed every season have long gone.

jymny

I am new to the forum but not to the Wye. Since I was demobbed in the sixties I have fished the river for salmon ever since. I have seen the good years as well as the bad, but this year so far its looking ugly. Agreed there has been some nice fish caught but so few. The editor posted on here a while ago an article asking where has all the Salmon gone and the trust wants to raise a million to find out. With what has been spent on the Wye a million seems minuscule. Having seen the decline over very many years I think it will take a lot more than fencing and coppencing to restore the runs. I consider myself very lucky to have fished the Wye in its glory years.

barby

I am new to the forum but not to the Wye. Since I was demobbed in the sixties I have fished the river for salmon ever since. I have seen the good years as well as the bad, but this year so far its looking ugly. Agreed there has been some nice fish caught but so few. The editor posted on here a while ago an article asking where has all the Salmon gone and the trust wants to raise a million to find out. With what has been spent on the Wye a million seems minuscule. Having seen the decline over very many years I think it will take a lot more than fencing and coppencing to restore the runs. I consider myself very lucky to have fished the Wye in its glory years.
What was your biggest jymny? I ask because some old timers like us both, never caught their pb untill the change of the milleniium. I wonder if you could turn the clock back in terms of age, would you go salmon fishing nowadays? Although I gave up in 1998 because of the lack of fish, when I retured in 2012 I caught 21 Wye salmon. Nowadays Ive given up again because I don't want to catch salmon just for fun. Just a thought in reply.
Ian

sewinbasher

What was your biggest jymny? I ask because some old timers like us both, never caught their pb untill the change of the milleniium. I wonder if you could turn the clock back in terms of age, would you go salmon fishing nowadays? Although I gave up in 1998 because of the lack of fish, when I retured in 2012 I caught 21 Wye salmon. Nowadays Ive given up again because I don't want to catch salmon just for fun. Just a thought in reply.
Ian
My best was in 1984, a modest fish for the Wye at 24lbs but I never had one of less than 10lbs. I've seen a 51lb 8oz, I've netted a 42lber and have seen another probable 50lber in the river. Those were the days when, if the river was right, you expected to get a fish rather than hoped for one.

jymny

Ian
Hello Barby,my best was 30lb 8ozs the 22nd feb 74 on Roddy marsh’s water just above Glasbury caught on a 2”yellow belly devon,I didn’t realise it at the time because me and my fishing pal were used to catching in the high 20s but i never surpassed it,btw that days fishing cost me £8 I did lose a bigger one on fly in the same year in late May in bright sunshine low water i was fighting with it for almost an hour (play is not the word) we could see it on the bottom rubbing it’s head on a boulder, i was quite relieved when we parted because my arms were knackered. I don’t fish anymore Barby its all changed. So much the river isn’t tranquil anymore there is no peace unless you can get on the prvilaged beats.We used to cease fishing at the end of July but it all seems to be about numbers now and I think that is a great shame for the back end fish

barby

Hello Barby,my best was 30lb 8ozs the 22nd feb 74 on Roddy marsh’s water just above Glasbury caught on a 2”yellow belly devon,I didn’t realise it at the time because me and my fishing pal were used to catching in the high 20s but i never surpassed it,btw that days fishing cost me £8 I did lose a bigger one on fly in the same year in late May in bright sunshine low water i was fighting with it for almost an hour (play is not the word) we could see it on the bottom rubbing it’s head on a boulder, i was quite relieved when we parted because my arms were knackered. I don’t fish anymore Barby its all changed. So much the river isn’t tranquil anymore there is no peace unless you can get on the prvilaged beats.We used to cease fishing at the end of July but it all seems to be about numbers now and I think that is a great shame for the back end fish
Thanks for your very interesting post jymny, enjoyed the read. 30lb in Feb above Glasbury!......indeed how it used to be. My biggest was 29lb 3oz Home Lacey May 84. I never managed, nor probably never will land a 30. I found my biggies sometimes the least lively, in fact my longest fight, lb for lb, came from a 12 pounder. Wonder if any others might have experienced the same.
I could not agree more about the wonderful feeling of tranquility, even into the solitude of daylong peaceful angling. All in the past now, unfortunately.
Ian

sewinbasher

For the best fight we always reckoned that a May 14-16 lber was hard to beat, the bigger fish just tend to dog it out. My best fight was from a fish of about 15lbs that after five to ten minutes of nothing special, decided to go back to sea, emptied my ABU 6501C before weeding me and letting go and also causing my mate to bin his fixed spool and get a multiplier!

tenet

Whilst on memory lane here's a picture of me holding a nice spring salmon taken from the the Island run at Lower Symonds Yat circa 1980.