Rivers Fly Swap - match the hatch

otter

FLY SWAP CANCELLED

Hi All

I am thinking of organising a series of Fly Swaps over the coming months that will take us up to the start of next season on the rivers. The swaps will be limited to ten tiers.

Each month a general type of fly will be picked to match the hatch and each tier will tie ten of their favorite paterns. For examples, BWO emerger, BWO Nymph, BWO Dun, Spinner, LDO nymph, etc.... We will not be specifying the pattern , you simply tie your favorite pattern to match the hatch
The first seven tiers (ill pick the first) will get to decide on the type hatch of the month.
It may be more enjoyable if there is a good mix between nymphs and dries.

Each month the flies will be sent to me and I will dispatch them back out.

It would be great if one of the tiers thats good with cameras would photograph the flies and stick them up here, my skills on that front are close to shite.

This is a large commitment, please do not sign up if you cannot deliver each month.
Strict deadlines will be adhered to, if your flies aint in on time then tough, youre red carded. Each tier will be given one chance to take a holiday for one month as long as we are informed of this in advance of the start of the month, yellow card will be given. Try for a second month and its the red card. In the event of a red card, substitute tiers will be invited to partake

This will be a great oppurtunity to share your best patterns assuming they are not state secrets:D

Tiers:

1. Otter: Sept , flies in by 1st October Hatch : BWO emergers
2. Brennan: Oct , flies in by 1st Nov Hatch :
3. Buzz Nov , flies in by 1st Dec Hatch :
4. tups......e Dec , flies in by 1st Jan Hatch :
5. Arkle Jan , flies in by 1st Feb Hatch :
6. Cumbrian Feb , flies in by 1st Mar Hatch :
7. Darkuser Mar , flies in by 1st Apr Hatch :
8. Lighthouse
9. Murtol

Subs: 1

Sept Hatch: BWO Emerger

1. Otter:
2. Brennan:
3. Buzz
4. Tuppsindispensible - Arrived , a very fine set of flies, well done - high standard set by TUPS
5. Arkle
6. Dr Rob
7. Cumbrian
8. Darkuser
9. Lighthouse
10.Murtol

Last edited:

otter

yep thats basically it - it will run for 7 months, first seven tiers pick the hatch to be matched. Spose we could run to ten months if everyone is still up for it at that stage.:cool:

arkle

Put me down for it if there's still room, pattern t.b.a.

Hans Weilenmann

Fishing Reporter
John,

I have no 'space' for this type of commitment to participate in the tying, but offer my services to photograph the sets if you wish.

Cheers,
Hans W

otter

Hans Weilenmann said:
John,

I have no 'space' for this type of commitment to participate in the tying, but offer my services to photograph the sets if you wish.

Cheers,
Hans W

Thanks for the offer Hans, very kind of you . If none of the 10 tiers can do the job then we will each tie up eleven flies and I will send you a set to photograph.

otter

Tuppsincomprehensible said:
Sorry to sound a bit (lot) dim but this is my first swap. Do I send you 10 BWO Emergers by 1st October 2007 or do I just pick a fly that is prevalent in December on a river of my choosing and then send you 10 of those by 1st January 2008?

The idea is that for each month a match the hatch is picked. The first seven tiers will pick the hatch. So for the 1st October (BWO emerger) each tier will tie 11 of their favorite pattern that they fish when BWO emergers are been feasted upon. The additional (11th) set will be sent to Hans to perform his magic with the camera (and laugh at our flies).

Thats 6 so far willing to share their coveted secret patterns...( or is it 6 looking for inspiration)

Last edited:

Cumbrian

Can I join please...?

I have no secrets and very little experience, but would like to join in if space permits (and allowance can be made for my tyings :) )