Robin feeding a Backbird?

Mrtrout

Last two weeks we’ve had a robin playing mum to a baby blackbird, couldn’t believe it at first but apparently it’s quite common?
Its a fully fledged blackbird so quite big and it looks ridiculous to see a wee robin tending to it.
S.

aenoon

Linlithgow, Scotland and anywhere i can wet a line
Last two weeks we’ve had a robin playing mum to a baby blackbird, couldn’t believe it at first but apparently it’s quite common?
Its a fully fledged blackbird so quite big and it looks ridiculous to see a wee robin tending to it.
S.
You 100% sure it is a young blackie, and not a young cuckoo? pretty simillar youngsters.
regards
Bert

Mrtrout

You 100% sure it is a young blackie, and not a young cuckoo? pretty simillar youngsters.
regards
Bert

interesting Bert, it’s very blackbird like light brown chest and just forming its tale, I’ll get a pic tomorrow it sits there half the day.
S.

G

GEK79

A surrogate mother that perhaps lost its own, nature sure has its own way of showing how different species can get on together, maybe the human race could learn a lesson from this. That I very much doubt!
Mother nature was here before us and I'm sure she will have the final say.. But I'd like to see where that story goes.. Keep us posted please MR. T

Fishtales

I took this picture of a baby Robin through the front room window.

Lewis Chessman

regards
Bert
That was my immediate thought, too, though the photos do indeed look like a young blackbird.

I once saw what I first thought was a merlin chasing two meadow pippets, then the 'merlin' alighted on a fence post and the pippets returned to feed it! It was, of course, a fledged cuckoo chick, twice the size or more of its poor, cuckolded, surrogate parents.