Fly Fishing Forum banner

Robin

3K views 28 replies 11 participants last post by  GEK79 
#1 ·
I saw a Robin!
I say this because nobody on the forum has seen a bird for over 20 days! :) and also his bobbin cheekiness always brings a smile to my face. The common ones are sometimes the best.

#2 ·
I love them, I had one for ages that became very tame, he’d come within two feet of me to take food.
It started sitting outside my kitchen window to let me know and I couldn’t resist going out each time to feed him, trouble was he had dropped his guard and would sit there until I saw him.
A few weeks ago a Sparrow hawk swooped in and grabbed him, last I saw of him. I was very upset at the time, can’t blame the hawk really.
We have another now but he’s one of this years fledglings and still very timid.
S.

#3 ·
I washed and filled the feeders on Tuesday, first time since late spring and it didn’t take long for the gang of house sparrows to find them, the next day there were blue tits and a great tit and then yesterday a robin foraging on the ground. Sunflower seeds seem to be everyone’s favourite, much more so than the seed mix.
B

#4 · (Edited)
I saw a Robin!
I say this because nobody on the forum has seen a bird for over 20 days! :) and also his bobbin cheekiness always brings a smile to my face. The common ones are sometimes the best.
Was it bob bob bobbin' along? ?

Had a jay at the bird table for the first time since autumn 2020 last weekend, seen quite a few on the wing .
Getting hammered by squirrels currently, two were fighting each other for first dibs on Sunday, all very unseemly, took a firm line on the matter.

IMG_20211101_120108.jpg

#6 ·
Was it bob bob bobbin' along? ?

Had a jay at the bird table for the first time since autumn 2020 last weekend, seen quite a few on the wing .
Getting hammered by squirrels currently, two were fighting each other for first dibs on Sunday, all very unseemly, took a firm line on the matter.

View attachment 45398
With a PCP and a decent silencer the squirrels look around to see why their friend dropped dead, thats when you can get the second one ?

Squirrels getting into the bird boxes pees me off :mad: and they're partial to both chick and eggs

#5 ·
I saw a Robin!
Thought you had better have this... :)

#10 ·
Been very quiet for birds throughout summer and still is at the back of the house. Robin been visiting and feeding for the last month, seen dunnock but little else apart from bl00dy wood pigeons. Only have the one feeder up and in a place the woodies can't get at it. Funny watching them straining their necks trying to reach it and also sliding down the shed roof (metal shed, apex roof). We have too many cats in the area.

#12 ·
Well, here's one you don't see every day...

Not my photo, I should state, right at the outset.

Taken by my mate Ron, who is becoming quite the bird-whisperer.

Sitting in a pond, right beside the A7 in the Scottish borders... last week...

A glossy ibis...

Bird Beak Grass Natural landscape Feather

#15 ·
I'm overcrowded with birds! But weirdly no Goldfinches, not seen many for a few years - Mycoplasma?
The resident flock seem to be taking more feed, cold weather on the way? We must have 200 House and tree sparrows gathered in the back yard now.

View attachment 45408
View attachment 45410
View attachment 45411
We had lots of goldfinches on the feeders last winter, but they haven't shown up yet….they are the messiest feeders, dropping more than they eat.
B

Reactions: Hardrar
#14 ·
Been loads of goldfinches here, all year, but they are quiet at the moment, so not obvious.

Most obvious right now around the city path network are the LTTs. Constant high-pitched peeping all over the place. As the leaves drop, you can get a look at them now...

Been a big increase in their numbers (as with goldfinches) in the past few years. Goldfinches, I reckon down to folk putting niger seed and sunflower hearts in their bird feeders. No idea why LTTs are doing so well in the city just now?

Reactions: wobbly face
#19 ·
We had a finger tame Goldcrest a few years ago, not seen any for a while sadly.
We have one old hen pheasant taps on the French doors to be fed, she seems to be the local matriarch, Cockbirds are all wary of her and it's so amusing when Carrion crows Jackdaws Magpies and woodpigeon often get a good thrashing from her for pinching her food. It's great watching all their antics.
We have a pair of Sparrow Hawks that call and she will pin them down given half a chance too.
We have two pairs of Collared doves and one male is particularly beligerant, I thought the female sparrow hawk had caught him recently, but no, the Hawk had taken a sparrow on the ground and the dove was actually knocking nine bells out of the sparrow hawk. The Mistle thrushes gaffer the sparrow hawks though and regularly knock them down in flight, first time I saw this, I couldn't believe what I was seeing, but they are the most aggressive of birds and I've had them fly at my head if I'm too near their nest!

#25 ·
We have one sulky, scrawny Robin in the garden, no fun at all.
Earlier in the year we had a proper cheeky Robin but I noticed
its top mandible was broken or missing. I made a feeding
platform for it with foodstuff we felt it could manage and it
lasted a fair while but it disappeared never to be seen again.

#26 ·
First goldfinch of the winter on the feeders this morning, we also have a Pavlov’s response wood pigeon who hangs around on the fence and drops down under the feeders when the songbirds arrive to feed.
B

Reactions: Hardrar
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.