rod bag material

Whinging pom

Rod bags for cane... is there a best cloth to use. Tried googling the question but gave up.
If you have a particular favourite supplier that would be great too
Ta very much
Pom

original cormorant

I have used curtain lining material - nice and cheap. It is soft after washing which may or may not be to .your taste. Closed with velcro rather than tape. The typical pale beige colour (loads of other colours available) can easily be written on with a permanent marker.

The Endrick Spider

Rod bags for cane... is there a best cloth to use. Tried googling the question but gave up.
If you have a particular favourite supplier that would be great too
Ta very much
Pom
I once had a friend that was a chargehand at a car repair shop. He gave me three very large bags made from a heavy duty cotton. These bags originally contained replacement bumpers for cars where once the contents were taken out, these containers were thrown away. What a waste. As you know from my writings everything has got another use and I am the very guy to find a use for them. I sat down one day and took all the stitching out down the sides where they now looked like a big sheet. One of these sheets was cut up and used for a lining for the bottom of my pigeon baskets and as for the other two, they are spread out on the ground when cutting the hedge. All the cuttings fall onto these sheets where once finished they are folded up and the contents emptied into the recycling bin. As I have just said on another post I hate anything to do with gardening but some jobs have to be done. These sheets save a lot of tidying up. Having been reading your post, This material would make fantastic rod bags that would stand any abuse and would last for ever. All you would need is someone that is handy with a sowing machine.

Whinging pom

( Always hard to follow a post from a craftsman of written English)

Some posts just strike a chord!
they are spread out on the ground when cutting the hedge. All the cuttings fall onto these sheets where once finished they are folded up and the contents emptied into the recycling bin. As I have just said on another post I hate anything to do with gardening but some jobs have to be done.

I can’t tell you the amount of materials I have auditioned for that very task.
As well as the other garden related jobs I do, I have in the past travelled a bit teaching topiary.
I’d suddenly get into heavy demand around Derby day ….. which sadly coincided with the best part of the trout season ! One year I totalled up the amount of balls, cones, spirals and linear metres of Box and yew I did. I can’t remember exactly now but I think I did about 60 balls of varying sizes and well over half a kilometre of hedge, mostly about 40 cm high with hand shears. I can’t tell you what it does to your back at the end of the day , and your elbows !Thats when I thought “Screw it!” I’ll just offer to teach their gardeners how to do it from now on.
Now my shears only come out for a few clients whose gardeners are practically inept at such things , or want to get the power shears out, or the hedges have been cut badly and need remedial action.
(Any way I find a very fine subtle mesh is best for that job especially under box hedges).

I really like the ethic of reusing and improvising and your cloth bags sound great, but I’m wondering was this in the days of chrome bumpers?
I think a thread of improvised materials for fishing related usages would be great for a closed season discourse. Or has it been done !
thanks all for the replies
Pom

ps I found a very very rare spelling mistake in one of your posts, can I claim a fiver ? 😁

The Endrick Spider

( Always hard to follow a post from a craftsman of written English)

Some posts just strike a chord!

I can’t tell you the amount of materials I have auditioned for that very task.
As well as the other garden related jobs I do, I have in the past travelled a bit teaching topiary.
I’d suddenly get into heavy demand around Derby day ….. which sadly coincided with the best part of the trout season ! One year I totalled up the amount of balls, cones, spirals and linear metres of Box and yew I did. I can’t remember exactly now but I think I did about 60 balls of varying sizes and well over half a kilometre of hedge, mostly about 40 cm high with hand shears. I can’t tell you what it does to your back at the end of the day , and your elbows !Thats when I thought “Screw it!” I’ll just offer to teach their gardeners how to do it from now on.
Now my shears only come out for a few clients whose gardeners are practically inept at such things , or want to get the power shears out, or the hedges have been cut badly and need remedial action.
(Any way I find a very fine subtle mesh is best for that job especially under box hedges).

I really like the ethic of reusing and improvising and your cloth bags sound great, but I’m wondering was this in the days of chrome bumpers?
I think a thread of improvised materials for fishing related usages would be great for a closed season discourse. Or has it been done !
thanks all for the replies
Pom

ps I found a very very rare spelling mistake in one of your posts, can I claim a fiver ? 😁
Heavy-duty, missed out the hyphen. Don't ask me about spelling for after writing a 4 or 5,000 word article for a weekly journal every second week for more than 30 years I have not learnt anything, still don't have a clue. It is not me that wants to keep on writing, it is the readers that demand it. I have tried to give it up a few times but what happens is, I end up getting that many letters I spend more time answering them than what it would take writing an article. I don't have to bother that much about the likes of spelling or punctuation for there are people employed to do that. I am not employed, this is a voluntary thing, something to do on a wet day. I only do this to help people out that are less successful than what I was. Because the readers enjoy my articles so much, once they have read them they have passed them on to the likes of gamekeepers etc where I have made quite a few new acquaintances. (That is a massive word for me, had to look that one up) The heading of my articles is always the same, Tales From The Loft And The Countryside.
As I have said in other posts all the 'A' s I got at school were for being absent. I hated school for there was nothing going on there that was of any interest to me. (It was an all boy's school) I would not have learnt anything about the things that were of any interest to me at school such as pigeon racing, fishing, cycling and the countryside. Failing to obtain any of these A Levels or whatever they call them that you need to get on in life, this has not made the slightest bit of difference to me. I will be 80 next year where I have had, and am still having a great life where I would not change anything. I am a bit of a loaner but at the same time do not have a care in the world. I don't care what day it is never mind the time. Never had a great deal of money but have always managed to scrape by with what little I have. I have just paid out £389 for a new rod but it was money left over from pigeon sales that paid for this. The pigeons have always paid their own way for I don't have the money to keep them. I don't do the lottery for if I did win I would probably just sit down and count it for I would not know what to do it.

Whinging pom

Wow there’s some serious bling happening in rod bags these days! .Thanks for all the thoughtful advice. You’ll be disappointed to know I ordered some plain natural coloured, cotton poplin last night that hopefully will not up-stage the plain little bamboo rods they will hold.
All best
Pom

stevel

The bamboo rods I've had over the years have had mostly plain light cotton rod bags, some with machine lettering of the maker's name.
Gary Marshall made some very heavy duty bugs almost like a sack material.
Some interesting ones I have had and still own, are ones made out of kimono material from Tomo Ijuin for one of his glass rods, and a James Reid bag made out of tartan, left over from someone who ordered his rod especially with its bag of these particular colours. Not sure if it was the family's but I do recall after James posting a shot of it on a forum and someone posting a rather irritated reply for doing so.

JayP

Not sure if it was the family's but I do recall after James posting a shot of it on a forum and someone posting a rather irritated reply for doing so.
Brilliant, only in this day and age could someone be offended by a tartan rod bag 😂😂

Rhithrogena

Brilliant, only in this day and age could someone be offended by a tartan rod bag 😂😂
Only a very few families who have been wearing locally adopted tartans since before the time of Culloden could possibly lay claim to any particular pattern of weave. Most tartans claiming to be 'clan' tartans are anything but.....

Last edited:

Whinging pom

Since this has descended from the original question I'd like to say I have a couple custom made by Steve Parton.
please feel free to descend all you like, i expected two answers at the most ,I'm surprised its still going and its fast becoming favourite rod bags . What are the steve parton ones like?
My favourite is this:-
2FDA3DD1-51E8-4AE8-B0A7-66700C2DD83C.jpeg

Purely on sentimental value , It's probably the tackle shop i've spent the most unnecessary idle hours in and succumbed to the most temptation! .

original cormorant

They're red and have cord rather than tape, custom made for 7 and 8 piece rods.
Somewhere I read or he told the story in a talk that he had been disgusted by the price of rod bags and other sewn tackle so had bought a sewing machine and learned how to use it. Which is why when I wanted non-standard rod bags I got them from him.

Rhithrogena

What a great thread.
Some of my faves;
Hardy's (early 20th C) -
IMG_20211128_205646314_HDR-01.jpeg

Farlow's (1950's)
IMG_20211128_205616815_HDR-02.jpeg

Sharpe's (1970's)
IMG_20211128_205437233_HDR-01.jpeg

Orvis (1980's)
IMG_20211128_205535562_HDR-01.jpeg

Basically it if isn't khaki, it isn't proper (the Orvis one having fish and ducks and the brand name on it is ouvertly American, but narrowly avoids being twee by being packed in a steel and brass tube you could kill a cow with 😆)