Rod for general lough style fishing Ireland.

Matt27

Hello. Was wondering what is the best lough style rod for pulling wets nowadays in Ireland? Heard good reviews about the airflo airlite v2 in 10ft 6 and 7 weight.

running bear

10'6 is a fairly long lever for a full day. I know 11' (or 11'3") was the traditional tool, but I think there's been a move away from that by many. Whether that's due to the reduction in rods of that style, a reduction in lough style fishers, or a change in preference I couldn't speak for the masses. However I use shorter and lighter because it's easier on me, modern rods are lighter for power and lines are better than years ago.

When I go lough style I use a 9'6" #6 (Greys G-tec) or less often a 10' #7 (Hardy Shadow - it's quite soft and suits sea trout and lough style). If I were buying a dedicated lough rod today (both those rods have another primary function), it's probable I'd buy a 10' #6, and I'd stick with Greys GR60, GR80 or Hardy options dependent on budget.

williegunn

10'6 is a fairly long lever for a full day. I know 11' (or 11'3") was the traditional tool, but I think there's been a move away from that by many. Whether that's due to the reduction in rods of that style, a reduction in lough style fishers, or a change in preference I couldn't speak for the masses. However I use shorter and lighter because it's easier on me, modern rods are lighter for power and lines are better than years ago.

When I go lough style I use a 9'6" #6 (Greys G-tec) or less often a 10' #7 (Hardy Shadow - it's quite soft and suits sea trout and lough style). If I were buying a dedicated lough rod today (both those rods have another primary function), it's probable I'd buy a 10' #6, and I'd stick with Greys GR60, GR80 or Hardy options dependent on budget.
Dearie me, it's like salmon fishing, 'how can you fish with a 15' rod all day?" I'm a real man, I use a 15 salmon rod and I use an 11' 3" trout rod in a boat.

running bear

Dearie me, it's like salmon fishing, 'how can you fish with a 15' rod all day?" I'm a real man, I use a 15 salmon rod and I use an 11' 3" trout rod in a boat.
Well, if you want to be traditional perhaps you should fish a 18'salmon rod, 15 footers are for the weak (once upon a time), and maybe stick to the nokia 5110 whilst you are at it, takes a real man to carry around unnessesary weight.

williegunn

Well, if you want to be traditional perhaps you should fish a 18'salmon rod, 15 footers are for the weak (once upon a time), and maybe stick to the nokia 5110 whilst you are at it, takes a real man to carry around unnessesary weight.
I have used an 18 foot rod but with modern lines I don’t need the extra rod length to cover the water. Though I find the extra length of the boat rod, 11’3” allows me to work the dropper a bit more.

What was wrong with a Nokia 5110, at least the battery lasted. Just a pity the software is no longer supported.

Cap'n Fishy

10'6 is a fairly long lever for a full day.

Is the OP asking about a 10 foot 6 inch 7-weight, or is he asking about a 10 foot rod in a 6-weight or 7-weight or possibly a 6/7-weight? :unsure:

Heard good reviews about the airflo airlite v2 in 10ft 6 and 7 weight.

I have the Airflo Airlite NAN-TEC (whatever that is?) 10 foot 6/7-weight - which is maybe the 1st version of the rod in question. Dunno? Anyway, I have had it for years and it has been my go-to rod for a 6/7-weight for boat fishing. I really like it. (y) I don't use it for lough-style fishing though. I use it for loch-style fishing. 😜 I also use it for sunk line fishing for rainbows, where the extra half-weight over a 6-weight is handy.

The nicest loch-style rod I have is a Hardy Marksman Drifter, 11 ft 6-weight. However, I have rotator cuff damage in my shoulder these days (old age doesn't come itself) and I struggle to fish with it for a full day on the lochs due to the extra leverage. I am tending to use a Greys GR 50 10 ft 6-weight, and even going back to using my Sage RPL 10 ft 5-weight in combination with 6-weight lines to reduce the work required. And it makes for a cracking loch-style rod. It's 30 years old though and you'd be lucky to find one these days.

Col

Cap'n Fishy

The OP is asking what people are using, akd then of anyone has specifics on the airflo rod.

No worries. It was when you started your reply with:

"10'6 is a fairly long lever for a full day. I know 11' (or 11'3") was the traditional tool, but I think there's been a move away from that by many."...

... It looked like you thought he was saying 10 foot 6 inch... which was a distinct possibility. And I wasn't sure exactly what he was specifying... which is why I asked. :)

goldenolive

10ft 7wt is the most useful rod if your mostly pulling.
If your going to be fishing dries,nymphs a 10ft 6wt is more useful.

I have 3 g.Loomis glx 7wt rods that I use on the lake and I have a 9ft6 5wt airflo airlite v2 for dries.

D

Deleted member 93217

Get yourself an old 10 foot Daiwa Whisker Fly, or perhaps the 11'3 version. Through action, soft and perfect for loch style. You will lose fewer fish too. You should get one on Ebay for 30 quid.

Cap'n Fishy

10ft 7wt is the most useful rod if your mostly pulling.
If your going to be fishing dries,nymphs a 10ft 6wt is more useful.

I have 3 g.Loomis glx 7wt rods that I use on the lake and I have a 9ft6 5wt airflo airlite v2 for dries.

The term 'lough-style' or, originally, loch-style, refers to pulling wets over the front of a drifting boat. So, I think you can home-in on the rod being for that purpose. 😉

Cap'n Fishy

Was it not the other way round and the style was first developed in Ireland? :)

I was joshing with yer man. 😉 We'll have been doing it in both Scotland and Ireland all along. We just called it fishing. It was the English who coined the phrase when competition fishing on reservoirs came to them and they started doing it our way. They called it loch-style (well, I think they did? :unsure:), as opposed to fishing the rudder, or anchoring-up and swinging nymphs and other boat fishing methods.

Probably need to ask an English comps fisher if it is lough style or loch style. Rob Edmunds, where are you??? 😜

running bear

I was joshing with yer man. 😉 We'll have been doing it in both Scotland and Ireland all along. We just called it fishing. It was the English who coined the phrase when competition fishing on reservoirs came to them and they started doing it our way. They called it loch-style (well, I think they did? :unsure:), as opposed to fishing the rudder, or anchoring-up and swinging nymphs and other boat fishing methods.

Probably need to ask an English comps fisher if it is lough style or loch style. Rob Edmunds, where are you??? 😜

Then there's us Ulster Scots/Scots Irish who pronounce it Lack style irrespective of spelling, "so we do"

D

Deleted member 93217

I'm pretty sure I read an article about it in T&S many years ago that suggested it originated in the Emerald Isle, but I could be wrong. :)

Cap'n Fishy

I'm pretty sure I read an article about it in T&S many years ago that suggested it originated in the Emerald Isle, but I could be wrong. :)

I think the home international boat fishing competitions get referred to as the loch-style comps...

And, as I said, the term was borne in competition fishing...

Latest posts