Rod for general lough style fishing Ireland.

Rhithrogena

There may not be a best rod for any day, just one that you fished well with and had some sport and a bit of luck. How many times have you dusted off an old favorite stick and had a great day?
It matters not, split cane, solid glass, fiberglass, boron, composite carbon, whatever,
⬆️GREAT COMMENT⬆️

codyarrow

There may not be a best rod for any day, just one that you fished well with and had some sport and a bit of luck. How many times have you dusted off an old favorite stick and had a great day?
It matters not, split cane, solid glass, fiberglass, boron, composite carbon, whatever,
David Norwich 11ft N400. I take this out once a year as a short session requires physio for several weeks. Last outings produced a 3lb WBT and a salmon in a severe drought in a place no self respecting salmon should be. This rod has luck weaved into the carbon.

the human otter

I fish a 10 foot 6 weight Hardy Demon on the big loughs. Floating line mostly (occasionally an intermediate) and only ever 2 flies at a time maximum- you tend to get fewer tangles and therefore spend more time fishing than sorting out a fank , especially in a big wind. Since you are mostly fishing shallower water on these loughs , the aforementioned lines and set ups cover most requirements. Need more rod length?? then elevate your seating position but not at the risk of being tipped over the gunwhale in a big wave:oops: My avatar is my 19 foot Burke boat on Corrib.

nymphist

I fished 11 #6 Hardy Sirrus rod since 2004 for rivers here and in Slovenia and sold the rod to someone in Ireland a couple of years ago. I dont know about lakes but for rivers it was OK, so recently i ordered the new 11 #6/7 hardy shadow and should get it next week, again intended to fish it for rivers. It seems that new models of longer rods for 6 or #7 are hard to find, the mainstream is lighter line longer rods.

Cap'n Fishy

I fished 11 #6 Hardy Sirrus rod since 2004 for rivers here and in Slovenia and sold the rod to someone in Ireland a couple of years ago. I dont know about lakes but for rivers it was OK, so recently i ordered the new 11 #6/7 hardy shadow and should get it next week, again intended to fish it for rivers. It seems that new models of longer rods for 6 or #7 are hard to find, the mainstream is lighter line longer rods.

I have a Hardy 11 ft 6-weight 'Marksman Drifter' and it is a superb rod for loch/lough-styling. I picked it out of all the 11 foot rods I could lay my hands on as being the least like a stick of liquorice. 😉

Meanwhile, back in time... many years ago...

In the late 1980s, I used to fish Loch Leven with a Daiwa 11 ft 3 inch 4-6-weight. And it was brilliant at solving the problem of getting pulls that didn't connect. Whatever it was about the way that those Leven fish took the fly in the 1980s, you absolutely had to give them a chance to turn with the fly and hook themselves. If you fished anything stiffer than a stick of liquorice, you bounced off them (well, I did anyway!). Getting that Daiwa improved my catch rate 100%.

Times changed, and Leven changed out of sight. The Daiwa went to the back of the cupboard and started to gather dust. Fast forward to Czech nymphing for grayling and I thought the old Daiwa might be worth a go at the job. So, I took it down to the Tweed one winter a few years back. Jeezo... it really was like trying to cast with a piece of spaghetti! Couldn't believe it used to be my saviour on Loch Leven. 🤪

Last edited:

codyarrow

I have a Hardy 11 ft 6-weight 'Marksman Drifter' and it is a superb rod for loch/lough-styling. I picked it out of all the 11 foot rods I could lay my hands on as being the least like a stick of liquorice. 😉
Hen's teeth and over £400 on ebay.
The airflo delta classic 11ft 6-7wt was a nice rod that cost me £60. I gave it away to a mate for his son to use. The handle needed some TLC but I have regretted my decision occasionally.

Cap'n Fishy

Hen's teeth and over £400 on ebay.
The airflo delta classic 11ft 6-7wt was a nice rod that cost me £60. I gave it away to a mate for his son to use. The handle needed some TLC but I have regretted my decision occasionally.

I would take £400 for it (around what I paid for it new). I have not used it for several years because of the damage to my shoulder. I offered to swap it for the 10 foot version in 'Classifieds', but no takers.

Col

nymphist

Meanwhile, back in time... many years ago...

In the late 1980s, I used to fish Loch Leven with a Diawa 11 ft 3 inch 4-6-weight. And it was brilliant at solving the problem of getting pulls that didn't connect. Whatever it was about the way that those Leven fish took the fly in the 1980s, you absolutely had to give them a chance to turn with the fly and hook themselves. If you fished anything stiffer than a stick of liquorice, you bounced off them (well, I did anyway!). Getting that Diawa improved my catch rate 100%.

Times changed, and Leven changed out of sight. The Diawa went to the back of the cupboard and started to gather dust. Fast forward to Czech nymphing for grayling and I thought the old Diawa might be worth a go at the job. So, I took it down to the Tweed one winter a few years back. Jeezo... it really was like trying to cast with a piece of spaghetti! Couldn't believe it used to be my saviour on Loch Leven. 🤪
Could it be that some carbon rods soften somehow over the time?

codyarrow

I would take £400 for it (around what I paid for it new). I have not used it for several years because of the damage to my shoulder. I offered to swap it for the 10 foot version in 'Classifieds', but no takers.

Col

Only seen one 10ft 5wt for sale - actually in classified on here.

Cap'n Fishy

Hard to say. It's possible, but I suspect it was always a stick of liquorice, and it's just the difference between the rods made in the 1980s and those made today?

Col

Rhithrogena

Hard to say. It's possible, but I suspect it was always a stick of liquorice, and it's just the difference between the rods made in the 1980s and those made today?

Col
I've got an 80's Marco Pinfire (Lamiglas blank) 10' 6/7 that has a pretty good action. Casts really nicely. Thickish in the butt though and the handle is wrong for me. Some of those 80's rods were ok. Heavy and thick, but OK 😂

running bear

I might sound like a broken record, but 80s carbon was one dimensional, it bent more or less at the same place, with the same recovery/frequency, irrespective of how much line was out or how much line speed the caster generated. Not neccesarily a disagreeable trait depending on your requirement and perhaps closer to glass than modern rods are to the 80s rods.
Modern rods have that progressive action, designed to do all things well, multi dimensional, extra gears etc. A top river rod is as much at ease with 5 yard casts off the tip, yet can still chuck a line 25+ yards and still feel like that's what it was designed for.
I have a few rods get a nostalgic trip every so often, but when i'm fishing for real, i go modern.

Cap'n Fishy

I might sound like a broken record, but 80s carbon was one dimensional, it bent more or less at the same place, with the same recovery/frequency, irrespective of how much line was out or how much line speed the caster generated. Not neccesarily a disagreeable trait depending on your requirement and perhaps closer to glass than modern rods are to the 80s rods.
Modern rods have that progressive action, designed to do all things well, multi dimensional, extra gears etc. A top river rod is as much at ease with 5 yard casts off the tip, yet can still chuck a line 25+ yards and still feel like that's what it was designed for.
I have a few rods get a nostalgic trip every so often, but when i'm fishing for real, i go modern.

Aye, a thing I noticed about that '80s Daiwa when I tried to use it in the 2000s was the 'wobblies' of it. It was like the Tacoma Narrows bridge disaster...

Pity about the dog! :cry:

bobmiddlepoint

The thing is I actually have two Daiwa CF98 11'3" #5/7 rods.
One has caught literally thousands of fish over hundreds of days over 15 or so years, it's been re ringed twice and had one new handle (it's a bit like Trigger's brush!).
The second one is a pristine second hand example for which I can give no good reason for buying, it has hardly been used.
The actions of both are identical - like boiled spaghetti.

Maybe age softening would be more noticeable on something that started stiffer?

Andy

shpeil

I have me Daiwa Wilderness XT 11 ft 3 7/8 weight. Awful thing. Heavy, wobbly and I created a hole in the cork under my thumb after just a couple of days using it.

Contrast the Shakey Agility 2 10ft 5wt that got its first outing on the boat yesterday. It performed admirably. Certainly no complaints - it only cost me £60.

My "proper" boat rod is a first generation Hardy Marksman 11ft 5wt, which I still like, but you do feel it after a day on the boat.

nymphist

The thing is I actually have two Daiwa CF98 11'3" #5/7 rods.
One has caught literally thousands of fish over hundreds of days over 15 or so years, it's been re ringed twice and had one new handle (it's a bit like Trigger's brush!).
The second one is a pristine second hand example for which I can give no good reason for buying, it has hardly been used.
The actions of both are identical - like boiled spaghetti.

Maybe age softening would be more noticeable on something that started stiffer?

Andy
Yep i was thinking about my Diamondback VSR rod, initially it was stiffer and over the years i got the impression that it somehow soften a bit.

johnW

I still use Sage RPL+ 10'6" for wets and Sage GFL 10ft/or XP for dries for many years for boat fishing.
The Daiwa Alltmor 11ft and Sage 11ft are gathering dust.

nymphist

The 11' #/6/7 hardy shadow arrived today and most likely will be christened in fishing tomorrow. There is a wider , slower stretch of local tailwater river that could be fished like a lake. Not too many rods to compare with it, but i can see some expenses spared when i compare it with my hardy sirrus 11 #6 as both are entry level hardy. The butt giudes of the Sirrus were Fuji, the reel seat ring was Hardy stamped on the metal, the tube had a rod bag that i like better than the current tube with no cloth bag but with divided departments. On the positive side, the blank of the hardy shadow feels much responsive with better tip recovery and better overall feel than my older 11' hardy sirrus. With the Fuji guides and the better looking hardy stamp on the metal of the reel seat ring as in my Sirrus instead , i would be totally satisfied by appearance of the shadow but obviously they made some cost savings , tomorrow will see how the rod fishes.

Attachments

• 20210920_131007.jpg
    20210920_131007.jpg
    537.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 20210920_130759.jpg
    20210920_130759.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 21
  • 20210920_130827.jpg
    20210920_130827.jpg
    705.1 KB · Views: 21