Rod tip snap

lavo85

Was fishing local river last friday, pinged the tip with a 4mm bead, damage didnt seem apparent but hooked a fish on the next cast and sadly SNAP, the tip section cracked.

The rod in question was a hardy jet sintrix 10ft 7wt, ive rang hardy and they dont have spare tips but offered me half price on a new rod, no good to me really.
Does anyone have a spare tip for this rod or have any ideas to rectify it?

p

icejohn

Basically don't think people have spare tips..just sat about.

I would alway check the warantee and semi well known that it's a half price new rod most of the time hardy / greys offer.

So option 1) get new replacement from hardy. Then sell it cut ur losses and buy a different brand with better warantee.

Option 2) find a rod maker give them exact measurements of diameter of old blank etc. And hope they can make u a spare tip.

Both options are expensive. Sry no magic wand fix that I can recommend.

Last edited:

lavo85

Basically don't think people have spare tips..just sat about.

I would alway check the warantee and semi well known that it's a half price new rod most of the time they offer.

So option 1) get new replacement from hardy. Then sell it cut ur losses and buy a different brand with better warantee.

Option 2) find a rod maker give them exact measurements of diameter of old blank etc. And hope they can make u a spare tip.

Both options are expensive. Sry no magic wand fix that I can recommend.
Was thinking in the off chance someone may have broken another part further down, had a tip sitting, i know very slim chances.

Rhithrogena

Depending where on the tip it's snapped you can try this;IMG_20200810_143228247.jpg
This is a spinning rod but the principle is the same. I had a spare 'top three' kit from a carbon pole lying around (from a pole we adapted for snaring Gannets to attach satellite tags actually - a story for another time...). Spare pole tip sections can be had very cheaply.
You cut a section that is the closest fit and stick the broken bits in with lots of epoxy. In this case it snapped at a ring during delivery when the tube was damaged; just re-whip the ring on the repaired section. This repair is close to the tip where there is little strain on the rod but worth a try if you can't get a spare section 👍

tangled

Depends how close to the tip it broke off - if a few inches remove the tip ring (heat), and glue onto remaining section. Usually makes little to no difference.

lavo85

Depends how close to the tip it broke off - if a few inches remove the tip ring (heat), and glue onto remaining section. Usually makes little to no difference.
About 18 inches down sadly.

easker1

Oh dear, I have tried it with a section of old CF rod, it works it only altered the action slightly, getting a piece of rod might be a problem, easker1

BobP

I find it difficult to believe that Hardy's can't help in this. After all, the Jet Sintrix is not exactly an old rod, and a 10' #7 is a very common size, but if they genuinely can't do anything I guess there are couple of options.

The first route I would take is to claim on my home contents insurance. Providing the excess is not too exorbitant there could well be enough to make the half-price Hardy offer feasible.

Route 2 would be as above, but I would also keep the rod and hunt through the second hand websites from time to time to see if one comes up. Second hand rods don't have a high market value so it may well be possible to get one for not a lot of pennies.

Sticking a metal darning needle yup inside the blank to act as a spigot is not a good idea. Putting a rigid piece of metal into something which is designed to flex and bend is going to going to have only one outcome.

easker1

sorry Bob, it does work,and the person is still getting use out of the rod, in the days of the early shakespear rods , the shakespear president, I replaced the broken spigot with a section of tubular Golfclub shaft, we found the Rod was stiffer than the tube as was the needle trick, easker1

fingask

Was fishing local river last friday, pinged the tip with a 4mm bead, damage didnt seem apparent but hooked a fish on the next cast and sadly SNAP, the tip section cracked.

The rod in question was a hardy jet sintrix 10ft 7wt, ive rang hardy and they dont have spare tips but offered me half price on a new rod, no good to me really.
Does anyone have a spare tip for this rod or have any ideas to rectify it?

p
Model shops have carbon rod in various diameters they use for spars in wings of model aircraft try them as mentioned super glue or epoxy it won’t affect the action that much good luck

johnyboy

That sounds very poor by Hardy, I thought Hardy rods had an unconditional lifetime warranty like Sage ones?

I've managed to crack a tip on a snowbee diamond by hitting it with a beaded fly. I've also broken the tip on a sage z-axis when a colleague trod on it. Neither were free to get replacements, but a lot less than half price.

Best of luck with getting it repaired, sounds like there are some good ideas above.

jaybeegee

I have done a repair with a Darning needle super glued into the tip and then whipped over and varnished , I did it for a pal and he is still using the rod, easker1
Although I don’t make a habit of it, I broke my brook rod yesterday just below the top section. I’ve ordered a replacement section but in the interim repaired it as you describe. The bandages came off this morning and it’s absolutely fine....thanks easker1.

B

smallmouth

Most good coarse match fishing shops that elastic new poles and/or repair match rods, will have scrap carbon cut offs, both tube and solid, hanging around at a low cost, that could be used for Easker's method of repair.

Also solid carbon flick tips intended for the tips of match fishing whips or making quiver tips.

easker1

over the years I have accumulated a lot of bits from repairs and home building , but it is rare, hence the Darning needle, to find bits small enough for rod tip repairs , glad you could use it easker1,