Rod Tube storage?

sean freeman

Where are people storing them? For years mine have been behind a cupboard in the spare room and I'd quite like to get something decent made to store them properly along the lines of these.

Rod tube holders - Album on Imgur

Anyone have anything similar? They seem to be quite popular on the other side of the pond but I've not seen any on this forum.

Cheers,

Sean

Mrtrout

Easy enough to make Sean, I use a plastic beer crate, keeps them vertical and cost nothing.
S.

morayfisher

Definitely easy to make something like that.
A nice little project for a hobbyist woodworker.
Maybe fancy it up a bit with turned legs (or find some stair spindles you like the shape of).

sean freeman

A crate of some kind came to mind when they were in the spare room but I’m moving into a new house which means I can now have a man cave so I’d like something to take pride of place in there!

I’d have a go myself but I haven’t done woodwork since resistant materials at gcse!

ellis350

Where are people storing them? For years mine have been behind a cupboard in the spare room and I'd quite like to get something decent made to store them properly along the lines of these.

Rod tube holders - Album on Imgur

Anyone have anything similar? They seem to be quite popular on the other side of the pond but I've not seen any on this forum.

Cheers,

Sean

Sean,

I made this last year as I was in the same boat as you. I can send you some sketches with dimensions on if you are interested.

Thanks, Ellis
17cd8afd568221a239486a8b4177d86d.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sean freeman

That’s lovely looking Ellis! I like the double level as I have a few pack rods that I’d like to store too. If you don’t mind sending it I’ll get the plan off you.

Cheers

neroda

Are there any companies out there that make rod tube holders. I have always fancied a nice wooden one, but making one myself is beyond my meagre DIY skills.

sean freeman

That’s exactly what I was looking for, something made from hardwood that would look nice in the man cave but there doesn’t seem to be a market for it in the U.K.

Going to have a crack at one myself unless I find somewhere that doesn’t cost the Earth. The plan Ellis sent me is excellent. I’d have a crack with Oak but can’t be bothered messing it up with the cost of materials.

Sean

haggstock

This , knocked up from scrap ply , glue and a power tacker . Screwed to the cellar wall

Attachments

• 1AEA6CAC-7213-4B77-905E-70A2FFE17555.jpg
    1AEA6CAC-7213-4B77-905E-70A2FFE17555.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 234
  • B90E3DA9-6ABD-4271-86E6-2D72F37936AE.jpg
    B90E3DA9-6ABD-4271-86E6-2D72F37936AE.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 222
Last edited:

whitehorses

Sean,

I made this last year as I was in the same boat as you. I can send you some sketches with dimensions on if you are interested.

Thanks, Ellis
17cd8afd568221a239486a8b4177d86d.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
looks like a GLORIFIED unbrella stand:rain:

on a serious note though it looks absolutely perfect, does it come in flat pack?

ejw

In the man cave I used the metal shop fittings that attach to the wall. The single peg points up at the end, so can store tubes by the strap vertically (they come in different lengths) or put two up horizontally to hold several tubs or just rod sections. The double peg (wire bent back on itself) if prised open a bit holds reels by the seat and the single pegs hold the spare spools. If you know someone in the local pound shop or such, they have loads and may part with them or search for Shop Fittings on line. Mine cost me a £1 each from a trade outlet.
Eddie