Rod weight

Vintage Badger

Yes I know it's not a hard-and-fast rule - the word used was 'likely' - but It's generally the case that a #5 will be half wells and a #7 will be full wells. #6 is more ambiguous. We have to start somewhere.
I've already explained to you (giving examples) that it is not possible to accurately tell the # weight of a rod by the style of handle it has. For instance, I have 9' to 9' 6" fly rods ranging from #5 to #8 with reverse half wells handles in my possession; so that's 4 different # weights there. I also have a couple of #5 weight 8' 6" rods with full wells handles. Cigar shaped handles have been typically used on rods varying in length from 6' (and shorter) to around 8', ranging in # weight from #1 to around #4 - once again, that's a range of four different weights.

There's simply too large a margin of error for handle shape alone to be used as an indication of likely # rating, and this is fact, not generalised supposition.

gordond

If you can get hold of a heavy double taper line try casting with it until the rod feels right.
Measure the length of line you are casting....and add about half the rod length. You could then weigh that length of line.
You can use that to calculate the right line weight on the basis that line weights are based on 30 foot of line.
If for instance the rod is happy with 20ft of #9 line then you would probably find that #6 line would be about right.
This is based on an AFTMA #9 wt line being 15.6g and a #6wt 10.4g. 20ft of #9 wt weighs 10.4g.
This is also useful if you want to experiment with shooting heads. Somewhere I have an old DT #11wt sinker that I am thinking of using for my #9wt pike rod when boat fishing. The idea is to have a really short head to reduce false casting to extend line when retrieving the fly right up to the boat.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

Tangled

I've already explained to you (giving examples) that it is not possible to accurately tell the # weight of a rod by the style of handle it has.
And, of course, I never said it was possible to accurately tell the weight of a rod by its handle - how could that be possible?

And I didn't need it to be explained to me thanks; you'll find that I explained it months ago in the understanding rods thread.

Vintage Badger

And, of course, I never said it was possible to accurately tell the weight of a rod by its handle - how could that be possible?

And I didn't need it to be explained to me thanks; you'll find that I explained it months ago in the understanding rods thread.

How close can you get to saying something without actually saying it? Note your use of the words "generally" and "will be" in your post:

Yes I know it's not a hard-and-fast rule - the word used was 'likely' - but It's generally the case that a #5 will be half wells and a #7 will be full wells. #6 is more ambiguous. We have to start somewhere.

Given the content of your reply in the above post, I very much believed you did need it explaining to you, otherwise I wouldn't have wasted my time in doing so. (y)

I hope this puts the issue to bed once and for all, and stops the spread of any generalistic and unreliable myths.

Last edited:

ohanzee

Is it just me thinking this is where Tangled's formula for determining the weight of a rod should come in? but spectacularly didn't.

glas y dorlan

To O.P. - suggest you give rod back to your mate, go and test a rod that you like/suits your style of casting and hopefully that will stop umpteen pages of arguing by the forum “boffins” 😉😉

D

Deleted member 32104

I am that confused I will keep the rod and put it at the back of my shed in the darkest cornet were it will stop.
Just to save the bickering on here so please let’s all forget about the dam rod.
Don't give up, sir, just get out there. The rod will be pleased too.

Tangled

I am that confused I will keep the rod and put it at the back of my shed in the darkest cornet were it will stop.
Just to save the bickering on here so please let’s all forget about the dam rod.
Sadly that is no longer within your gift. You've started something and we demand a resolution!
At least measure its length and tell us the shape of the bloody handle.

ohanzee

How can I tell the weight I have been given my mate gave me a rod with no name or weight size how can I find out what it is all help appreciated thanks for looking

Ok, start again, find someone that has a line on a reel, stick the reel on your rod, make sure there is a leader on it and tie a bit of wool on or whatever, flip out about 40' lift this into the air, should be fairly effortless, if possible try a line up or down, when you have the right weight you will feel it by comparison to the others, feels light but still gives a good bend in the rod.

This was Col's answer but I think it might have got a bit lost.